GDT: Sir Svechy and his band of merry Hurricanes face off against the villainous band of the knights of gold

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
this is a tough take, but when teams come in and match our effort we see the deficiencies in our forward depth extremely magnified. when the playoffs come around and everyone's effort is maximized for every game, it exposes that weakness further. we beat a lot of teams into submission by taking no shortcuts and that is our primary edge in the regular season because teams are rarely as prepared as we are. the staal line is the perfect manifestation of that willingness to give extra every game and having it somewhat negated when the opposition does the same with more talent.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
this is a tough take, but when teams come in and match our effort we see the deficiencies in our forward depth extremely magnified. when the playoffs come around and everyone's effort is maximized for every game, it exposes that weakness further. we beat a lot of teams into submission by taking no shortcuts and that is our primary edge in the regular season because teams are rarely as prepared as we are. the staal line is the perfect manifestation of that willingness to give extra every game and having it somewhat negated when the opposition does the same with more talent.
Which is where your stars have to step up and be better … or have your goalie steal some games

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
giphy (5).gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Same story that it's been since the 2019 ECF.

When a talented team matches our intensity our talent deficiencies are exposed.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Which is where your stars have to step up and be better … or have your goalie steal some games
And the problem is, that's not really something they've shown they can be relied to do, for either one. So if that's our plan in the playoffs, we are betting everything on them doing something they've not yet shown they are capable of doing.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
And the problem is, that's not really something they've shown they can be relied to do, for either one. So if that's our plan in the playoffs, we are betting everything on them doing something they've not yet shown they are capable of doing.
That’s why I’ve said repeatedly - I’ll believe it when I see it. They’re *capable* but I agree something of an upgrade would be nice.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Then how do they have the 2nd best record in the league. Just they are the only team that try’s hard?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Then how do they have the 2nd best record in the league. Just they are the only team that try’s hard?
I mean, yeah. The guys on TNT talk about it all the time about us. We play with playoff intensity for 82 games, which takes a hell of a lot of conditioning, but we struggle in the playoffs when everyone else ramps up and we don't have that extra level to hit.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I mean, yeah. The guys on TNT talk about it all the time about us. We play with playoff intensity for 82 games, which takes a hell of a lot of conditioning, but we struggle in the playoffs when everyone else ramps up and we don't have that extra level to hit.
They were 1 win away from the conference finals with their backup who is made of glass and completely fell apart last year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That’s why I’ve said repeatedly - I’ll believe it when I see it. They’re *capable* but I agree something of an upgrade would be nice.
I feel like this is a big playoff year for the core of the team. They have to prove that they are capable of stepping up in the crunch because our front office definitely seems to be primed to make a big trade and if they go offensively inept again in the playoffs I could see the urgency to get that done ramp up significantly, with possibly having to move out a player or 2 to make it happen.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They were 1 win away from the conference finals with their backup who is made of glass and completely fell apart last year.
And played like absolute dog piss in each and every game we played on the road last year in the playoffs. It took one bad game at home to ruin the season because we were non competitive away from our arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad