Player Discussion Sir Sheamus Weber (Man Mountain PhD edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Weber had a great season... he wasnt the problem.

However, there is no way around this- mobility/speed is a big concern going forward.

Two playoffs in a row now where he seemed to struggle with the speed of the game. This is a concern considering where the league is heading - younger, faster, more creative.

As Weber goes into his 30's, I dont think we will be able to rely on him as a true number 1 dman unless he is paried with a guy who has the speed and mobilty for today's NHL.

Not to say he can't be effective, but I think his days of being an elite D are coming to an end, if its not already.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
:facepalm:

One flew over the cuckoo's nest eh.....the fanbase meltdown has begun

Hal gill was brilliant (in the old school, conventional sense) in his own zone, that's why he played top pairing minutes in the playoffs for us.

You take it as an insult to Weber when it's not.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hal gill was brilliant (in the old school, conventional sense) in his own zone, that's why he played top pairing minutes in the playoffs for us.

You take it as an insult to Weber when it's not.

It's an insult, come on.:laugh:

If I compared a defenseman to MAB and said "no really, MAB had a great shot on the PP and scored some big goals for us, comparing him to MAB isn't an insult" would you believe me?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It still wouldn't matter.

Danault
Plekanec
Ott
Flynn

Prime Bobby Orr ain't saving our forward group.

True, but he doesn't have to. Just needs to help them get an extra goal or two, which he would be able to do. That doesn't mean it would have changed anything.
All we can say is that Weber didn't lead us anywhere we haven't been, and for someone who was brought up to help Patches lead, it doesn't look good when the Captain has a terrible PO showing.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
True, but he doesn't have to. Just needs to help them get an extra goal or two, which he would be able to do. That doesn't mean it would have changed anything.
All we can say is that Weber didn't lead us anywhere we haven't been, and for someone who was brought up to help Patches lead, it doesn't look good when the Captain has a terrible PO showing.

The trade is a bust. A wash at best.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Incredibly true. The point is that FOR NOW, it's not that Weber is awful or worst. It's that he was not brought in for status quo either. And the way the guy plays, and the fact that Bergevin will not miraculously find a cure for this D for the upcoming years, we will not see Weber's best hockey from now on. Yeah, I know we said that for Markov too....but this is so not comparable based on style of play. We were wrong for Markov. We won't be wrong for him.

So the best Weber, which could probably last another year or 2, at year 1, gave us NOTHING. And Bergevin at oen point will needed to strengthen that D so that he doesn't have to play so many minutes.....can't wait to see that.

And true about the leadership part. THAT was a major fail. So what's next? Transition? More Leadership?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly such a dumb thing to say. The guys got 2 gold medals. So, is success dependent on the team? Can't have it both ways.

We were sold that his almighty leadership would escalate us to new heights that our character-depleted PK Subban couldn't.

So he gets that label thanks to his almighty GM.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
We were sold that his almighty leadership would escalate us to new heights that our character-depleted PK Subban couldn't.

Pretty childish on your part but if it makes you feel better about the situation have at it.

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
Honestly such a dumb thing to say. The guys got 2 gold medals. So, is success dependent on the team? Can't have it both ways.

Accomplishment with team canada should not be bring into discussion. A bunch of D could replace Weber and Canada would still win the gold medal.

If you look at Weber performance in the NHL PLAYOFFS , its easy to see he doesnt elevate his game when we need him the most.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Accomplishment with team canada should not be bring into discussion. A bunch of D could replace Weber and Canada would still win the gold medal.

If you look at Weber performance in the NHL PLAYOFFS , its easy to see he doesnt elevate his game when we need him the most.

what do you expect? He's an all round defenseman. He takes care of the defensive zone which he did. He has more goals and points than Pacioretty and Galchenyuk combine. He's a plus while the team is minus.

We lost 3 1 goal games. The offense didn't get it done.

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
what do you expect? He's an all round defenseman. He takes care of the defensive zone which he did. He has more goals and points than Pacioretty and Galchenyuk combine. He's a plus while the team is minus.

We lost 3 1 goal games. The offense didn't get it done.

I believe the fact he cant skate and make a first pass to save his life has to do with our ****** offence.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Incredibly true. The point is that FOR NOW, it's not that Weber is awful or worst. It's that he was not brought in for status quo either. And the way the guy plays, and the fact that Bergevin will not miraculously find a cure for this D for the upcoming years, we will not see Weber's best hockey from now on. Yeah, I know we said that for Markov too....but this is so not comparable based on style of play. We were wrong for Markov. We won't be wrong for him.

So the best Weber, which could probably last another year or 2, at year 1, gave us NOTHING. And Bergevin at oen point will needed to strengthen that D so that he doesn't have to play so many minutes.....can't wait to see that.

And true about the leadership part. THAT was a major fail. So what's next? Transition? More Leadership?

Ironic also that the Weber troopers are a quiet now that the team is eliminated when they were ready to tattoo his name on their hearts earlier in the season. But hey, it's not Weber's fault.
Meanwhile, Nashville swept Chicago. Those guys were laughing at the Preds earlier this year and PK. How ironic. Oh but hey, ya, Subban's not really their #1 anyways...so...ya wtv.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Miss PK, but Weber had a great season guys..............................

WE CAN'T SCORE......................it's our forward group that caused us this grief, not Weber, not Price, WE CAN'T SCORE.:shakehead:rant:

Weber deserves alot of credit, he made our PP much better...let the season sink in, and you will realize this guy did exactly what everyone said he would do.................the forward group, not so much.

Our defenseman cannot push the play forward, through passing or skating up the ice. It's a big problem. Markov is our only PMD back there, and I wouldn't be upset if we rebuild and trade Petry for a young center. Petry isn't consistent enough and won't be a reason why we win.

MB has ****ed this team royally. They're depleted throughout the lineup because he gives average/role players long-term contracts and signs bottom six guys for fun. we have a ton of guys who play bottom six.

Pacioretty C RW

Lehkonen Galchenyuk Radulov

Byron Pleks Gallagher

LW Danault Shaw

Even then, I think we should move away from guys like Shaw and Pleks, because they're way overpaid for a bottom six players. Maybe we can lose Shaw to Vegas?

Our d isn't as bad, but it's not top 10 in the league.

Markov Weber

Emelin Petry

Beaulieu Benn

I think we need a # 1 PMD, but first we need to help this team upfront. Guys I would trade to try and get better up front: Emelin, Petry, Weber, Galchenyuk, and Pleks. We are not going to win anything with Weber if we don't have a top line center or a PMD, so why keep him?

If our GM could get tavares for weber plus, I would in a second.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Ironic also that the Weber troopers are a quiet now that the team is eliminated when they were ready to tattoo his name on their hearts earlier in the season. But hey, it's not Weber's fault.
Meanwhile, Nashville swept Chicago. Those guys were laughing at the Preds earlier this year and PK. How ironic. Oh but hey, ya, Subban's not really their #1 anyways...so...ya wtv.

It's a team game. I too hoped Weber would've been able to push a little more in game 6 and have his moment but it didn't come.

I am unsure what Nashville has to do with anything though. Oilers beat last year's Stanley cup finalists and Desharnais contributed. Should we have an existential crisis?

Nah, we look at players in context. Weber did great so trooper or not isn't the issue. MB getting Weber is fine but he failed to address other issues and now guys like Weber are left as one piece in an incomplete puzzle.

I wish all our ex players success. Eller, Desharnais, Subban but it has no relevance to me how they do compared to us. What matters to me is what is MB doing for us now? I'm not quite sure he'll do enough.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Those putting this loss on Weber are those with an clear agenda and are not better than users who bash Subban. It's a team game and our forwards just couldn't get it done. If anyone is to blame it's Bergy and the forwards.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Our defenseman cannot push the play forward, through passing or skating up the ice. It's a big problem. Markov is our only PMD back there, and I wouldn't be upset if we rebuild and trade Petry for a young center. Petry isn't consistent enough and won't be a reason why we win.

MB has ****ed this team royally. They're depleted throughout the lineup because he gives average/role players long-term contracts and signs bottom six guys for fun. we have a ton of guys who play bottom six.

Pacioretty C RW

Lehkonen Galchenyuk Radulov

Byron Pleks Gallagher

LW Danault Shaw

Even then, I think we should move away from guys like Shaw and Pleks, because they're way overpaid for a bottom six players. Maybe we can lose Shaw to Vegas?

Our d isn't as bad, but it's not top 10 in the league.

Markov Weber

Emelin Petry

Beaulieu Benn

I think we need a # 1 PMD, but first we need to help this team upfront. Guys I would trade to try and get better up front: Emelin, Petry, Weber, Galchenyuk, and Pleks. We are not going to win anything with Weber if we don't have a top line center or a PMD, so why keep him?

If our GM could get tavares for weber plus, I would in a second.

Julien neutered the long range pass option. The one time Max attempted to break free from the unit he got a breakaway using his speed and his best scoring chance of the playoffs.

We can't have that though, it's all about unit exits. Let's ignore that we have an elite PMD in Markov who can pass through an entire bench, we're a unit.

The NHL is where creativity goes to die. The worst part is the more success a coach has the more self-absorbed he gets with his 'winning system'. I like Julien and I respect his accomplishments but he didn't use our speed(or our speedy players, why King why?) and he didn't want huge breakout passes.

Guys like Max suffered for it and ultimately the entire team did as well.

Hopefully with more prep and better personnel the results will be different but you can't recreate the bruins of half a decade ago when the league is evolving every year and you don't have a prime Bergeron and Krejci to begin with.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Subban trooper, this series loss against Rags aint Webers fault. :teach:

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

The best part is, watching the Preds series, the coach started to rely on PK's playoff experience in the 3rd period of games, when the team had the lead. He was tough to play against and played like a leader that knew how to win.

Subban expects to win and lead by example. He looked like a veteran dman for the preds, and while Josi was their offensive dman (amazing) PK gave zero space to Toews all series. Preds will be tough to beat for a long time. Their top 4 is the best in the league, throw in a veteran dman who wants a shot at the cup, playing 10 minutes a night, and it's disgusting to think about. **** me, they're good.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's a team game. I too hoped Weber would've been able to push a little more in game 6 and have his moment but it didn't come.

I am unsure what Nashville has to do with anything though. Oilers beat last year's Stanley cup finalists and Desharnais contributed. Should we have an existential crisis?

Nah, we look at players in context. Weber did great so trooper or not isn't the issue. MB getting Weber is fine but he failed to address other issues and now guys like Weber are left as one piece in an incomplete puzzle.

I wish all our ex players success. Eller, Desharnais, Subban but it has no relevance to me how they do compared to us. What matters to me is what is MB doing for us now? I'm not quite sure he'll do enough.

The point was to show the ridiculousness of some of the points brought forth by the Weber troopers earlier this year.

Bergevin getting Weber wasn't fine, it was pointless.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Are you saying it is Weber's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad