Since coming into the NHL, has Ovi EVER been the best player in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Crosby and Ovi were both back and forth for the #1 for a couple seasons.

I don't think you'd be wrong to say he was the best from 07/08-09/10

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Was a guy who won back to back Hart trophies, and a threepeat winner of the Lindsay ever considered the best player in the world?

No, I don't think so...

OF COURSE! What kind of dumb ****ing question is that. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
07-10, 3 straight Pearson's, 2 Hart's, 2 Richard's, insane peak, outscored everyone including Crosby over that time.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He hasn't scored a million goals so people will stop putting him high on their lists...

Hes still one of the top dangerous goal scorers in the game

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Ovechkin had the highest PPG average in the NHL for 3 straight seasons and won the Hart and Richard in 2 of them and the Lindsay in all 3, so yeah, then.

On a side note, is the HF population now so damn young that they can't even remember Ovechkin early in his career? I mean seriously, I thought it was crazy when people couldn't remember when Lindros dominated, now they can't remember Ovechkin? What thread is next "Was Stamkos ever a dominant goal scorer?".

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
07-10, 3 straight Pearson's, 2 Hart's, 2 Richard's, insane peak, outscored everyone including Crosby over that time.

By .07 PPG.

Whether that made up for the overall game of Crosby or not is what made the Ovechkin/Crosby debates what they were back then. He also played on one of the best offensive teams of the modern NHL, with far more support than Crosby and Malkin ever had,

It was always up for debate at that point, but he had a legitimate argument for being the best back then, just like Crosby and Malkin did.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Ovechkin had the highest PPG average in the NHL for 3 straight seasons and won the Hart in 2 of them, so yeah, then.

On a side note, is the HF population now so damn young that they can't even remember Ovechkin early in his career? I mean seriously, i thought it was crazy when people couldn't remember when Lindros Dominated, now they can't remember Ovechkin? What thread is next "Was Stomkos ever a dominant goal scorer?".

Yep, I believe the general poster population is that young. Probably a lot of posters here who never saw Ovie play in the old streaking eagle jersey.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yep, I believe the general poster population is that young. Probably a lot of posters here who never saw Ovie play in the old streaking eagle jersey.

I mean, you'd have to be 14-15 years old not to remember that... Are there people really that young on here? Not a whole lot I would guess.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
No. He certainly was not a #1 player ever. He didn't even hit 70 goals in a season, might as well trade him for a bag of pucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
I'm assuming you don't watch hockey or are very new to it and are asking this question out of genuine curiousity.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I always thought he was better and had a bigger impact than Crosby did, right up until 2010-2011.

When the Caps "brain trust" neutered him and stifled his offensive game and physicality. Ovie doesn't score like he used to and doesn't hit like he used to.

"Defense wins championships" now the Caps are back to where they were pre-lockout.

You don't make a racehorse plow the fields.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
[mod]

When Crosby got his ankle sprain in 07-08, he was the leading scorer by quite a bit if I recall correctly. Ovechkin ended up scoring 65 goals that year, but Crosby was still first before getting hurt.

Malkin was better than both of them in 08-09.

Ovechkin was better in 09-10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad