Proposal: Simple 1-for-1: Montreal-Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Victor Rask for Jacob de la Rose

Canes fans have been running Rask out of town for the past year or so, while the Habs are sorely lacking a centre with offensive talent so they could take a flyer on Rask and hope he can rebound. In return the Canes get a cheaper, more defensive C in de la Rose, who considering the Habs' bottom six C depth is pretty much forced into a very small role (unfortunately, once again). He doesn't have the offensive upside of Rask but could end up as a solid shutdown 3C. Could this work for both teams?

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Id rather keep DLR since he's young not much of offensive role but defensively he was amazing, he's still growing and was upsetly rushed, last season he showed some good centre playing, two way centre and shutting down Crosby on face offs, goes with Stamkos too

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
De La Rose played well at the end of the season and did a good job at the World. If he keep playing well and get better hes going to be a good signing for the habs for the next two years. Can't see any kind of hope like this in Rask especially at that price

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This trade isn’t even remotely close to equitable. Jesus.

Please don’t tell me Habs fans are going to start to give de la Rose the “Byron treatment.” He really isn’t worth that much.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This trade isn’t even remotely close to equitable. Jesus.

Please don’t tell me Habs fans are going to start to give de la Rose the “Byron treatment.” He really isn’t worth that much.

Rask had 9 more ES points than DLR last year in 16 more games. DLR also plays a more defensive minded game. The gap isn't really as big as you think.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
DLR have way more value to the Habs than in a trade. Not because we absolutely need him, but because no team would pay a good price to have him. So it's better to keep him and hope he because the good 3rd line C he can be.

The asking price for Rask was 2x 2nd round not long ago. I don't think DLR would fetch more than a 3rd (and I'm being generous, it's probably more a 4th).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Rask had 9 more ES points than DLR last year in 16 more games. DLR also plays a more defensive minded game. The gap isn't really as big as you think.

Rask was playing with a shoulder injury most of the season and had the worst season of his career. The prior two seasons, Rask had 48 and 45 points respectively.

Let's wait until DLR scores more than 15 points in a season before we start saying the gap isn't that big.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Had Carolina not thinned out the depth at center by trading Lindholm, I think the proposal would have merit. Rask has been a 35 point caliber player (and that's with a regular shift on the PP) going back to January 2017 and is coming off of shoulder surgery. In a different circumstance, clearing out the salary of a $4 mil 4C would make sense. There would be value in that.

That’s just my opinion, however. If Waddell and co. were asking 2 2nds from Montreal at the draft, this would be an unacceptable underpayment in the eyes of those that actually matter.

Reactions: Steeler23

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Had Carolina not thinned out the depth at center by trading Lindholm, I think the proposal would have merit. Rask has been a 35 point caliber player (and that's with a regular shift on the PP) going back to January 2017 and is coming off of shoulder surgery. In a different circumstance, clearing out the salary of a $4 mil 4C would make sense. There would be value in that.

That’s just my opinion, however. If Waddell and co. were asking 2 2nds from Montreal at the draft, this would be an unacceptable underpayment in the eyes of those that actually matter.

I was under the assumption the Canes would be willing to unload the underperforming Rask and his salary. Rask is the much better offensive player, I'm not denying that. However, in the eyes of many, DLR is also better than a 15 point player and had a strong latter half of the season including the world champs. A big point in this proposal was that DLR comes at a much cheaper salary but if that's a non-issue for the Canes, then I guess the deal probably won't do much good for them.

Either way, is Rask available and if so, would there be any interest in DLR and what would need to be added?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I was under the assumption the Canes would be willing to unload the underperforming Rask and his salary. Rask is the much better offensive player, I'm not denying that. However, in the eyes of many, DLR is also better than a 15 point player and had a strong latter half of the season including the world champs. A big point in this proposal was that DLR comes at a much cheaper salary but if that's a non-issue for the Canes, then I guess the deal probably won't do much good for them.

Either way, is Rask available and if so, would there be any interest in DLR and what would need to be added?

Trading Rask would leave Carolina without an insurance policy if Aho and/or Necas can’t cut it at center. I don’t think the Canes can afford to trade him at this point; he’s gone from easily expendable to almost necessary in the span of a month.

Now, if Faulk returns a center via trade, he'll go back to being easily expendable again. That’s something to keep an eye on.

Based on the prior asking price, Carolina would likely want a relatively high pick (a 2nd) added on top of DLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad