Simon Gagné

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Simon Gagne was a very good 22nd overall draft pick.

Unfortunately had a relatively short peak due to injuries.

Lit it up with Forsberg as his center.

Responsible two-way game.

I never considered him a star, though, even in his two 40+ goal seasons.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Agreed. That 2004 team was one of my favorites. Left it all out on the ice. If only they had a healthy defense
Same here. That Toronto series took so much energy along with the defensive injuries. Such a shame that happened because that team was the best in hockey

I got lasek surgery on the day of one of the TO games and still tried to watch it.

Flew a client with in from TO for the Primeau hat trick game. While tailgating before the game we saw a TO fan sprinting through the lot. A bunch of Flyer fans were chasing him. I still wonder if he got away or got the shit kicked out of him

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Flyers legend, sometimes underrated. He was a very defensively responsible two-way winger who could score 40+ and a very disciplined player who never did anything stupid on or off the ice. Great leader.

Unfortunately injuries shortened his career. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the NHL at some point, though. Smart hockey guy that could become coach or GM. He was just named GM of the Quebec's Remparts (QJMHL) .

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I hate that Ken Hitchcock robbed Simon Gagne of some really good seasons by sticking Simon on a checking line with Primeau and Kapanen. Gagne should have been playing with Zhamnov and Recchi or Handzus and Amonte. Hitchcock held him back.
Hitchcock was also a reason why Gagne was on the 2002 Olympics team. He was championing him for the last spot on the team over Primeau and Anson Carter.

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
I enjoyed watching Simon on TV and live. I probably saw him live, maybe 6 times. I live in Western Canada, prairies in a place with more cows than people.
‘I remember one game at GM Place, Vancouver, it was 0-0 deep in the 3rd, 0.2 seconds left, Simon Gagne scores the winner..
Iginla-Sakic-Gagne was a most impressive line in the 2002 Olympics.
Simon Gagne, I would describe, 2 thumbs up.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate that Ken Hitchcock robbed Simon Gagne of some really good seasons by sticking Simon on a checking line with Primeau and Kapanen. Gagne should have been playing with Zhamnov and Recchi or Handzus and Amonte. Hitchcock held him back.
Ironically, I recall Gagne crediting Hitchcock with making him a better player. Mike Modano said the same. They both said only certain types of personalities could withstand his annoying and needling ways. I remember the stories when he first became an assistant with the Flyers along with Hartsburg. He rubbed alot of the players the wrong way and some would deliberately trip him in practice so they could watch him flail on the ice like an ozempic pill popper...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Holmgren trading Weinrich if I am recalling correctly didn't help.....yet this guy continues to be sought for advice.

That was Clarke who traded Therien and Weinrich at the 2004 trade deadline.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I fondly remember a penalty shot he took to give Philly the lead against Atlanta:

link

Also one of my favorite JJ calls ever, back when I liked him more.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
And then had to trade Williams for the Russian defenseman after the injuries, right?
Utter disaster trading Williams. Hitchcock also kept putting him in his doghouse. The kid had wheels (kept his feet moving) and jam but Hitchcock didn't like his freewheeling and creativity. Had to squash it as part of his defensive system......typical Flyer shit when players have individual talents. Williams would have flourished under Lavi but then later Holmgren probably would have traded him AND JVR for Luke Schenn to compensate for Bryzaster...

Last edited:
Reactions: PDX Flyer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And then had to trade Williams for the Russian defenseman after the injuries, right?

According to flyershistory.com, this was the sequence of trades involving defensemen that spring

Jan 4th 2004:

Flyers trade Justin Williams to Carolina for Danny Markov

Flyers trade Tampa's 2004 7th to Islanders for Mattias Timander

Feb 4th 2004:

Flyers trade Eric Weinrich to St. Louis for 2004 5th

March 5th:

Flyers trade Vandermeer, Colin Fraser, 2004 2nd to Chicago for Zhamnov and 2004 4th

Flyers trade Rick Kozac and 2005 2nd to Rangers for Vladimir Malakhov

Flyers trade Chris Therien to Dallas for 2004 8th and 2005 3rd

Apparently Clarke only rolled out of bed once a month on the 4th lol

In the end they did upgrade the defense by bringing in Markov, Timander and Malakhov to replace Therien, Weinrich, and Vandermeer, but they probably shouldnt have traded both Weinrich and Therien for picks and instead kept one for injury depth. I think Clarke is on record and saying he wanted to give them a chance to play somewhere since they had been replaced here.

Reactions: PDX Flyer

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
According to flyershistory.com, this was the sequence of trades involving defensemen that spring

Jan 4th 2004:

Flyers trade Justin Williams to Carolina for Danny Markov

Flyers trade Tampa's 2004 7th to Islanders for Mattias Timander

Feb 4th 2004:

Flyers trade Eric Weinrich to St. Louis for 2004 5th

March 5th:

Flyers trade Vandermeer, Colin Fraser, 2004 2nd to Chicago for Zhamnov and 2004 4th

Flyers trade Rick Kozac and 2005 2nd to Rangers for Vladimir Malakhov

Flyers trade Chris Therien to Dallas for 2004 8th and 2005 3rd

Apparently Clarke only rolled out of bed once a month on the 4th lol

In the end they did upgrade the defense by bringing in Markov, Timander and Malakhov to replace Therien, Weinrich, and Vandermeer, but they probably shouldnt have traded both Weinrich and Therien for picks and instead kept one for injury depth. I think Clarke is on record and saying he wanted to give them a chance to play somewhere since they had been replaced here.
Thanks for that reply. Wasn’t familiar with that website.

Markov was really good but Williams was a lot to give up for a rental.

Malakhov and Timander both stepped up and played above their weight that playoffs. Such a shame that Rico and KJ both went down.

I’ve heard that Clarke quote as well. Ah to be a Flyers fan

Reactions: Embiid

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
I started watching hockey during the lockdown.

The year after I started watching the NHL as well. As I was an Eagles fan already, I picked the Flyers in the NHL.

So those 2 seasons of Gagne-Forsberg were my first experience of Flyers/NHL hockey.

Gagne was my first Flyers jersey (later on Richards, Giroux, Gostisbehere followed). Absolutely loved watching him play, especially with Forsberg.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
My favorite players since I started watching hockey:
1991 to 2000 - Eric Lindros
2000 to 2010 - Simon Gagne
2010 to 2020 - Erik Karlsson
2020 and counting - Tim Stutzle

Was very happy to see Gagne hoist the cup in LA, despite not being a LA fan. He was a great 2-way winger that could snipe like the best. Had wheels too. If he was more consistent, he'd have been a superstar.

I remember always having him and Gaborik on my EA sports teams because their speed was like 95 or something. lol

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad