Simon Gagné

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are you guys memories of this player? What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical? Did he not go downhill a bit early? What happend?

R.1ef2bf2ad0e7561a0edcf3030cb0068f

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
What are you guys memories of this player? What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical? Did he not go downhill a bit early? What happend?

R.1ef2bf2ad0e7561a0edcf3030cb0068f
He is one of/if not the greatest Flyer of his generation. A two way player that could score and move the play. Solid in his own zone and KPer. Simply put....a f***ing awesome player.

Born in 1976.... easily one of the top five Flyers I’ve ever seen

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Guy was the least flashy yet most cerebral player I’ve watched for the flyers. Positionally just incredibly sound both on offense and defense.

His two years playing with forsberg were a joy to watch. He just put himself in so many advantageous positions to score.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Guy was the least flashy yet most cerebral player I’ve watched for the flyers. Positionally just incredibly sound both on offense and defense.

His two years playing with forsberg were a joy to watch. He just put himself in so many advantageous positions to score.

Ugh, the point where I knew he was near the end was when he was in a slump and Richards was desperate to get him scoring, and Gagne couldn't finish on a nonstop stream of high quality setups. A few years earlier he'd have absolutely feasted.

And then Richards spent a ton of time trying to get Nodl to score, and that was way more hopeless lol.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
After his concussion and the goop they injected in his neck, he was a timid player. Avoided the "dirty areas" and played more of a perimeter game..that was what eventually did him in.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Ugh, the point where I knew he was near the end was when he was in a slump and Richards was desperate to get him scoring, and Gagne couldn't finish on a nonstop stream of high quality setups. A few years earlier he'd have absolutely feasted.

And then Richards spent a ton of time trying to get Nodl to score, and that was way more hopeless lol.
That was the thing that really confused the hell out of me. As fast as he was, his in zone effectiveness wasn’t necessarily predicated on speed—he wasn’t much of a transition player. He wasn’t a stick handler either. He was just very good at finding seams in zone. That and his shot should’ve aged really gracefully. But man, did he fall off fast.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Very fond memories of watching those 2 as a kid

This video should be beaten into the flyers coaching staff about in zone offense. The isolation plays that forsberg and Gagne created were just genius. We’ve seen players succeed at it.

I especially love the gagne drop pass to forsberg who then immediately feeds Gagne again at the baseline. Good times.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
don't know how to put it..he wasn't great..but he was better than just good
This. I was a little surprised to see he only had one season above a PPG. He did have those 2 consecutive years where he was an elite goal scorer though, and he was great defensively. Obviously had the nagging injuries. I’m hard pressed to think of a comparable player from this era.

ETA: he is probably the type of player who gets overrated by his team’s fanbase, but is underrated elsewhere

Last edited:

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
He used to start out really hot scoring wise, then would tail off as the year went on. Could have been a superstar with better consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad