Simon Despres

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I like the Despres isn't afraid to carry the puck and doesn't immediately throw it off his stick like a hot potato.

He likes to skate around our net with a guy chasing him and make a soft chip up the boards for a nice, easy breakout.

Not sure how he has the confidence for it, but I like it.

That's apparently why the Pens don't like him.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
That's apparently why the Pens don't like him.

Don't worry, when Martin and/or Letang, who sits. You know it won't be Scuds or Orpik, They have playoff experience are Stanley cup champs and are not any where the players they were 5 years ago. #5,41,47 should go to W-B if they want to experience playoff hockey. The best any one can hope for is that Scuds and Orpik break one of their fingers.

Fire Shero*

Well he sent from being untouchable to a throw in for a deal in such a short amount of time.

He is a smooth skater but I'm starting to think he lacks intelligence and hockey iq, much like Letang.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Well he sent from being untouchable to a throw in for a deal in such a short amount of time.

He is a smooth skater but I'm starting to think he lacks intelligence and hockey iq, much like Letang.

I'm thinking he's still only 22 years old and maybe just needs a bit more time and experience before we start writing off his "intelligence" and "hockey IQ"...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Where do you see a lack of intelligence and hockey IQ in his game?

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
I'm thinking he's still only 22 years old and maybe just needs a bit more time and experience before we start writing off his "intelligence" and "hockey IQ"...

And a coach who will let him learn as he goes instead of benching him/sending him down at the slightest mistake. Ridiculous that Orpik can get walked twice in one game and not miss a shift let alone a game, but Despres gets **** on for even normal/typical rookie mistakes. Strait/Lovejoy said the same thing after they left, and I'm afraid we're gonna be seeing the same thing from Despres (or even Letang, should we move him) when he gets moved to a team that will trust him with minutes without expecting him to play like some Bobby Orr/Nick Lindstrom hybrid at the age of 22.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If this team is keeping sutter after this season then the need to re-examine the way the third line is built. Sutter needs to stop being treated as if he is Jordan Staal. Sutter can be effective if given line mates and responsibilities that are less of a shut down role and more of a two way or even an offensive one. He can be productive if given line mates with more skill than Glass/Adams/Pyatt/AHL scrub that he's been bouncing between all season. This would mean that more effort/resources would have to be put into making a good shutdown line out of the fourth line than we have lately.

If this team continues to go with the shut down third line and Gladams fourth line then just re-sign Goc to be the third line center role and trade Sutters rights in the offseason.

I completely agree, but I think injuries are the ONLY reason Sutter, Adams or Vitale have seen time above the 4th line. With a healthy Bennett and Dupuis, that wouldn't have been the case. So I trust next season, even if Glass is retained, we will not see them above the 4th line.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I just dont get why Depres is held to such high expectations from Dan Byslma, where Orpik, Adams, and Letang get a free ride

Because the latter are veterans whereas the youngsters are approached with the mentality that they still have to earn their keep and show that they are capable of playing at this level. In the eyes of a coach he feels that he's doing the young player a favor as "tough love" will help with his development.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because the latter are veterans whereas the youngsters are approached with the mentality that they still have to earn their keep and show that they are capable of playing at this level. In the eyes of a coach he feels that he's doing the young player a favor as "tough love" will help with his development.

And that would definitely work if he was consistent with it. No one should get a free ride. He should be pushing Gladams, Orpik, Scuds, etc to to be better because there are youngsters knocking on the door outplaying them.

I get that Vets get the benefit of the doubt more, and on some levels they should. However, there is no excuse to never sit Adams or Glass in favor of hungrier, better players.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
I completely agree, but I think injuries are the ONLY reason Sutter, Adams or Vitale have seen time above the 4th line. With a healthy Bennett and Dupuis, that wouldn't have been the case. So I trust next season, even if Glass is retained, we will not see them above the 4th line.

Huh? :huh:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
And that would definitely work if he was consistent with it. No one should get a free ride. He should be pushing Gladams, Orpik, Scuds, etc to to be better because there are youngsters knocking on the door outplaying them.

I get that Vets get the benefit of the doubt more, and on some levels they should. However, there is no excuse to never sit Adams or Glass in favor of hungrier, better players.

There's getting the benefit of the doubt more, and then there's getting the benefit of the doubt always. For youngsters, there are zero rewards for playing well, and sometimes even demotions to follow, and constantly getting in the doghouse for the slightest error. I wonder if anybody noticed Despres's body language when he went to the bench last game after he had that whiff on a pass that lead to a mini breakaway. He looked like he let out a big sigh and bent his head down. Probably because he knew he'd sit the rest of the game. That kind of coaching breeds second guessing, and a lack of confidence in young players. They over think every play, and end up making even more mistakes as a result. A self fulfilling prophecy really. What a good coach does is show confidence in the young player, and stick with him through his mistakes. If he continues and doesn't seem to be learning, then you sit him down. The only reason why veterans are even veterans in the first place, is because a better coach than Bylsma showed confidence in them in the first place, and let them learn by playing.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The coaching staff doesn't seem to breed confidence in young guys, which can be heard from young guys who left this organization. I don't agree with it, and if we're going to develop any of these young defensemen we have, we have to allow them to play and make mistakes. Now there's differences in mistakes, and not all are created equal. If a guy is throwing pucks up the pike and just making busch league decisions, yeah...he should sit. But if Simon Despres is going to get benched for carrying a puck a little too much, or just over or under playing a defensive assignment...that stuff happens and those are coachable moments.

With Despres, I have seen him punished for things that should not be punishable offenses, but he has also had his fair share of times where he just needs to not be stupid, know that the coaching staff wants him to play a simpleton game, and just stick to that. That's why Maatta is so trusted. It's always simple.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I´m not the biggest fan of Despres in the world. But please.. tell me how can DB bench him instead of Scuderi?? I mean, EVER!! Simon was really good tonight, making a skill plays and passes. Scuderi is done in this league, he´s getting worse every game and we have to watch this fail for 3+ more years. It´s unbelievable. Scuderi will also block Despres from playing. THis year and also next year. And if Despres is not traded then, then also next year and next year. The difference between those players is CRAZY.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I´m not the biggest fan of Despres in the world. But please.. tell me how can DB bench him instead of Scuderi?? I mean, EVER!! Simon was really good tonight, making a skill plays and passes. Scuderi is done in this league, he´s getting worse every game and we have to watch this fail for 3+ more years. It´s unbelievable. Scuderi will also block Despres from playing. THis year and also next year. And if Despres is not traded then, then also next year and next year. The difference between those players is CRAZY.

I just don't understand how db and shero can't see this. When Martin or Letang come back what are the chances that #s 4 and 44 sit. ,

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Despres didn't get any defensive zone starts tonight according to extraskater.com. He's been a positive player for the last few games (our best D possession wise, although with favourable zone starts), time to give him some more responsibility.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Despres didn't get any defensive zone starts tonight according to extraskater.com. He's been a positive player for the last few games (our best D possession wise, although with favourable zone starts), time to give him some more responsibility.

Seems Bylsma has seen how well Despres has been playing considering his zone starts and matchups today, as well as his work on the powerplay.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

haha, sorry, I meant Glass.

On another note (the note of the thread title): Despres had one of his best games yesterday. He was very assertive and aggressive defensively, yet also skated the puck up the ice frequently, though without going out of position or getting caught up the ice. He also did a great job of using his reach and stick to break up plays. Hopefully he's putting everything together and will be able to be better like this more consistently going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad