Simon Despres

Speed Kills

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Great post Cygnus and I love your reference to a classic Byslma move is to sit you when you have a bad game. I don't know if this was mention in an article or interview. Ben Lovejoy said that when he played in pittsburgh, he was scared to make a mistake. How can a player play with confidence if you know your coach is going to bench you when you have a bad game?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Great post Cygnus and I love your reference to a classic Byslma move is to sit you when you have a bad game. I don't know if this was mention in an article or interview. Ben Lovejoy said that when he played in pittsburgh, he was scared to make a mistake. How can a player play with confidence if you know your coach is going to bench you when you have a bad game?

Despres didn't even make a mistake. DB (who I once defended as not being a moron, but am now starting to wonder why I did that) said he took a bad penalty. So essentially that was the excuse in his mind to bench him.

Next time Despres should step aside and let guys roll his goalie or move out of his established lane so the forechecker has a much easier path to the puck.

Despres isn't jumping in the play like he used to and is playing tentative and that's all on DB. He is ****ing up this kid's development.

There is some justice from the hockey gods thanks to Engo. I love that DB stupidity cost the Pens the game, and I've never been like that, ever really. But his stupidity has worn me down and a little justice was served.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Despres didn't even make a mistake. DB (who I once defended as not being a moron, but am now starting to wonder why I did that) said he took a bad penalty. So essentially that was the excuse in his mind to bench him.

Next time Despres should step aside and let guys roll his goalie or move out of his established lane so the forechecker has a much easier path to the puck.

Despres isn't jumping in the play like he used to and is playing tentative and that's all on DB. He is ****ing up this kid's development.

There is some justice from the hockey gods thanks to Engo. I love that DB stupidity cost the Pens the game, and I've never been like that, ever really. But his stupidity has worn me down and a little justice was served.

Didn't you see Simmonds's goal today and how Scuderi did just that? Textbook defense in Bylsma's playbook.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Didn't you see Simmonds's goal today and how Scuderi did just that? Textbook defense in Bylsma's playbook.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I grew up playing a different game and studied Tarasov and Bowman's strategies most of my life, so I'm afraid I don't understand this bizarro world DB coaches in.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I grew up playing a different game and studied Tarasov and Bowman's strategies most of my life, so I'm afraid I don't understand this bizarro world DB coaches in.

It's ok, I don't hold it against you. We can't all be as smart as the smartest coach in hockey.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Here, let me help you . . .

You're welcome.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I will confess that it takes a certain type of genius to follow this . . .

How a general manager of a professional ****ing hockey team can watch that **** fest and then proceed to offer the turd a contract extension defies all natural logic.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
How a general manager of a professional ****ing hockey team can watch that **** fest and then proceed to offer the turd a contract extension defies all natural logic.

As IcedCapp might say, the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some may consider . . . unnatural.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
As IcedCapp might say, the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some may consider . . . unnatural.

I guess the dark side also leads to a path that wants you to keep a big, happy, underachieving family together.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I actually am looking forward to it, I'm waiting for him to completely abandon English and just start making up words. Then using confetti a a distraction.

The sad part is that's with the local media throwing softballs at him. Imagine if Pittsburgh actually had a sports media that actually did its job instead of try to spread good PR for the sports teams. Bylsma would be ******** bricks right on the spot.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The sad part is that's with the local media throwing softballs at him. Imagine if Pittsburgh actually had a sports media that actually did its job instead of try to spread good PR for the sports teams. Bylsma would be ******** bricks right on the spot.

Having lived many years ago in Philly, I can attest that they'd have been throwing the bricks at him before he even had a chance to **** them. :laugh:

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
Despres needs to work on his defensive reads. He will read a play incorrectly, and put himself in precarious situations.

It's hard to work on your defensive game and decision-making when you feel there's no room for error. When all you can think about is how to not make a mistake, you're much more prone to making mistakes.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will confess that it takes a certain type of genius to follow this . . .

This was ****ing brutal. Where is the spot where he said Despres will be a top defender next year? Was that this year or the Philly loss?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I hope we don´t go with Despres to the playoffs´(well, it´s safe to say we won´t). Everybody loves him here (strange to me), but he´s just meh recently. I see absolutely no progress there and he would be a liability in POs. I agree that Scuderi (and Orpik) is the biggest problem now, but Despres shouldn´t be on a contender´s PO lineup either. He used to be better than this, then something happened.. Right now, I´m not comfortable with him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I hope we don´t go with Despres to the playoffs´(well, it´s safe to say we won´t). Everybody loves him here (strange to me), but he´s just meh recently. I see absolutely no progress there and he would be a liability in POs. I agree that Scuderi (and Orpik) is the biggest problem now, but Despres shouldn´t be on a contender´s PO lineup either. He used to be better than this, then something happened.. Right now, I´m not comfortable with him.

Despres has been fine. But don't worry he won't be in the lineup once Martin and Letang (things are looking good) return.

Orpik-Martin
Scuds-Letang
Niskanen-Maatta

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

how the **** has he been meh?

How the **** are you comfortable with players like Scuderi and Orpik but uncomfortable with players like Despres?

jesus christ, i hate humans.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

are you being intentionally dense

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Despres has been fine. But don't worry he won't be in the lineup once Martin and Letang (things are looking good) return.

Orpik-Martin
Scuds-Letang
Niskanen-Maatta

Barring more injuries to the D, don't expect Despres to be playing again. When Martin comes back, #47 goes to WB. It doesn't matter how bad Scuds plays and has no idea on how to control Simmonds in from of the net. But Scuds is a shut down D, sure!!

Since Despres is a rfa, he should force a trade and get out of PGH for the sake of his carreer. Also, to help their D, the Pens should bring in coach like L. Robinson that can help their young D improve .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad