Simon Despres

Fire Shero*

Hey, I heard we were trading this Niskanen guy?

He was going to be dealt before the draft, definitely during the off season and undoubtedly before the season started.

#He'sStillHereAndNotGoingAnywhere

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Leblanc can't even hack it in the AHL...

Pretty much the only way that I would trade Despres is for a similarly developed forward. One for one.

These four quarters in exchange for a dollar trades (three or four crappy parts supposedly being equal to the one useful part) always screw the guy giving up the dollar.

A similarly developed forward for Despres one for one, or no trade in my book.

Last edited:

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
Pretty much the only way that I would trade Despres is for a similarly developed forward. One for one.

These four quarters in exchange for a dollar trades (three or four crappy parts supposedly being equal to the one useful part) always screw the guy giving up the dollar.

A similarly developed forward for Despres one for one, or no trade in my book.

Correct. Also draft picks are a non-starter for me. We didn't spend four years developing him to ship him away for more players that are years away from making an impact.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Gallagher, he would look great on the top line with Kunitz and Sid

Other then that in the Habs system there is Colberg, McCaron as forwards but they're projects and might not pan out

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Gallagher, he would look great on the top line with Kunitz and Sid

Other then that in the Habs system there is Colberg, McCaron as forwards but they're projects and might not pan out

Gallagher would be awesome to have here. Undersized for sure, but would be money with Sid.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Gallagher would be awesome to have here. Undersized for sure, but would be money with Sid.

I watch a lot of Habs games and never really liked any of their players but it's 2 years now I must admit I really have been impressed with this kid. From his draft day if you look at what he has done despite being a 5th rounder, 3 40+ goal seasons in Vanvouver, made the World Junior team, probably could have won the Calder last year in his rookie year and off to a solid start again this year. Habs would be dumb to let him go but i'd be all over

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

NEVER moving Gally. Get it out of your head. We would all like it though.

His team is actually scoring 5v5 goals at a similar rate to Crosby's when he is on the ice (and he leads all of his linemates which usually indicates he' driving the bus). It is insane to say the least (even if it is a small sample). Not looking to be a fluke so far this year either.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'd make him play wing on our top 6

I wouldn't... he'd be the perfect 3C here. Would add some of that physicality Sutter is missing, and better skills besides. With our roster you'd be nuts not to put him at 3C. Better to play Sutter at wing than Eller.

Kunitz - Sid - Bennett
Juice - Geno - Neal
Dupuis - Eller - Sutter

As the yoots would say, "EPIC!"

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Habs media, fans, coaching staff, and management are all IN LOVE with this kid. No way in hell they let him go easily...

And watching him play you can clearly see why. I'm sure just like me you watch most of their games and this kid seriously brings it every shift. Lucky and great 5th round pick for them!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Habs media, fans, coaching staff, and management are all IN LOVE with this kid. No way in hell they let him go easily...

Why is it that team's fans inquire about what it would take to get one of our best and most NHL ready prospects but do not want to give any of their better prospects in return?

I doubt that Despres leaves for anything other than a blow your socks away offer, but fans need to understand the concept of you have to give to get, and if you want something of real value the cost will likely make you wince.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I watch a lot of Habs games and never really liked any of their players but it's 2 years now I must admit I really have been impressed with this kid. From his draft day if you look at what he has done despite being a 5th rounder, 3 40+ goal seasons in Vanvouver, made the World Junior team, probably could have won the Calder last year in his rookie year and off to a solid start again this year. Habs would be dumb to let him go but i'd be all over

The only player I like on the habs is Pacioretty, there is no chance we are getting that kid out of the Habs, unfortunately. I still hope we can draft a version of him for the Pens some day, but yeah, Gallagher is fun to watch but I don't think the Habs would move him as of yet.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Why is it that team's fans inquire about what it would take to get one of our best and most NHL ready prospects but do not want to give any of their better prospects in return?

I doubt that Despres leaves for anything other than a blow your socks away offer, but fans need to understand the concept of you have to give to get, and if you want something of real value the cost will likely make you wince.

That seems to be a HF Boards phenomenon: whine and complain about how player X is the worst player since Frankie LeRoux and then think you should get a top six forward for him. However, I don't think Despres has much value, and I doubt we'd get much more than a second or third round pick for him. Perhaps a promising AHL player, but not much more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That seems to be a HF Boards phenomenon: whine and complain about how player X is the worst player since Frankie LeRoux and then think you should get a top six forward for him. However, I don't think Despres has much value, and I doubt we'd get much more than a second or third round pick for him. Perhaps a promising AHL player, but not much more.

And what would make you think he's not worth much? The only reason he's down in the AHL is because of Cap reasons, he was basically a regular last season and looked good while up, albeit with Bylsma's moronic benching of him when he made the littlest of mistakes while vets were allowed to make mistake after mistake with zero consequences.

Chances are, if someone is moved on the blueline, Simon is back up. The guy skates well, moves the puck well, is big, and will get better as he gets more games and experience under his belt.

What boggles my mind more than those people that want value for nothing are the people that can't see the value in the guy others value.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
His play was really inconsistent last year. He's in the AHL this year - regardless of the reason, if he were playing really well he'd be with the big club, or the big club would have moved someone to make room for him. Moreover, he wouldn't have fallen behind Bort and Maattaa - although OM will likely go back to London shortly.

We all want him to be a stud top four defenseman, maybe because he was a first and appears to have a great tool set, but he hasn't shown it, either at the NHL level when given the chance or at the AHL level.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Consistency is his only issue and that's almost always the last thing to come. Not really worried about Despres.

Also, Bort needed waivers. I guarantee Despres would have made this team if he needed waivers. He didn't and I'd say that's a huge part of him being sent down.

I also think they view Maatta as a huge part of their future and probably just wanted to let the kid play a few games and get his feet wet in the league before he goes back to junior. If they wanted to take a look at Maatta it had to be done now. They weren't going to send him back to junior and then bring him back later in the year. Despres can be called back up at any point of the year.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Less than a first would be stupid for Despres, he's the best number 30 pick of all time!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hey, I heard we were trading this Niskanen guy?

He was going to be dealt before the draft, definitely during the off season and undoubtedly before the season started.

#He'sStillHereAndNotGoingAnywhere

#LeadingTheTeamInScoringNiskySwag

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Hopefully Despres is motivated by being sent down and plays lights out for WBS, either forcing management to move Niskanen and bring him back up or otherwise ups his trade value. I strongly prefer the former scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad