Simon Despres

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think the Pens are actively shopping him. If a team like Anaheim is really in search of a young D and is willing to overpay then Shero might listen.

That's kind of how it was when Goligoski got moved. He wasn't really shopped around but Dallas called and offered something Shero couldn't refuse. Obviously Despres won't fetch a James Neal caliber player but it would still have to be an overpayment relative to whatever Despres' value to the Pens is and I'd imagine they still value him a lot.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You just want him because his name sounds Frenchy.

That's a factor, but there's more than just than connection. One of MTL's assistant coaches is Gerrard Gallant, Simon's coach in St. John. There's an obvious connection there, and Gerrard is a HUGE fan of Simon.

I proposed on these boards, 2 years ago, a "Despres for Eller" swap. Eller's last season's injury notwithstanding, that is still a trade scenario I would consider. Gallagher? Hell ya, but I doubt MTL moves him for anything less than pretty substantial overpayment.

Other than that: nah, not really, because you're best prospects are the same positions as ours (Tinordi, Beaulieu); and while you're most recent 1st rounder is a very intriguing forward prospect, he is clearly 3 or more years away. I do think the Pens will move a blueline prospect, and Despres would be near the top of my list -- and MTL is a good destination for the reasons I mentioned -- but I don't think it's a great fit unless it's a player like Eller because the Pens will be looking for a young forward who can make an impact now or over the next 1-2 years tops if they move one of them.

Otherwise, there's no rush or waiver issue and they can just let the cream rise to the top and wait for a trading partner to get desperate and pry a good forward from them.

penguins2946*

Lets say LeBlanc and two 2nds? Sound like a fit?

No. Think something around:

1. McCarron and Fucale for Despres
2. Collberg and a 2nd for Despres
3. 2 of Bozon/Hudon/Andrighetto/Lehkonen for Despres

These are all in favor of the Pens, but if they are trading Despres for prospects, it will take a huge amount. If they are trading him for a NHL ready W, it would take less. I think Pens would prefer trade #2.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

LeBlanc is about as appealing as a prune sandwich and Despres isn't being moved for picks.

The only way Despres is moved is if it's a 1-for-1 situation for a similarly aged winger. There's absolutely no reason for the Penguins to consider a package deal for him.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Something around LeBlanc and picks?

Sounds like crap.

It sounds like crap, because it is crap. LeBlanc is not even a legitimate NHL prospect right now, whereas Despres is a legitimate NHL player right now. IF (note the capital letters) others amongst our D prospects were to overtake him, and IF there were no better offers), and/or perhaps we re-signed Brooks Orpik, as mentioned in another thread -- then, there would be a snowballs chance in hell that we would trade Despres for futures (i.e. two 2nds + a mid level prospect, or a first, etc.).

But I think it's more likely that if we move him, it will be for a similarly-aged forward prospect/player who is of comparable quality and upside (i.e. Eller, Gallagher on MTL, or a Silfverberg/Rakell/Noesen/Etem on Anaheim, Neiderreiter or MIN, Nelson or Lee on NYI, etc.)

Save him for Silfverberg.

Or someone of the sort, as above.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No one wants Kyle Chipchura 2.0. Habs can use him as a throw in, equivalent to a 6th or 7th round pick in some other trade, but he would not be a center piece for Despres. Ever.

penguins2946*

I posted a Despres for Collberg and a 2nd on the trade boards. What I learned about Despres:

1. Despres does not have significant upside, while Collberg does
2. Despres for Collberg is fair because they were only 3 draft spots apart
3. Despres can't be both an established NHLer and be stuck in the AHL due to a logjam at D
4. If Despres was actually NHL ready, the Pens wouldn't have signed Scuderi

Oh, what people will do to pump up their own players.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So why not trade Orpik then? :teach:

Because Martin and Orpik play well together and I imagine they want Simon to get a little more bottom pairing experience before giving him top 4 responsibility, even if he'd probably do well with it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Because Martin and Orpik play well together and I imagine they want Simon to get a little more bottom pairing experience before giving him top 4 responsibility, even if he'd probably do well with it.

that's a pretty good answer :nod:

I wouldn't actively try to trade Orpik. But if the right trade was there, I would consider it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
that's a pretty good answer :nod:

I wouldn't actively try to trade Orpik. But if the right trade was there, I would consider it.

I had thought that point was implied. If you want to play Despres rather than trade him and if there's no decent hockey return for Nisky, then why not see if there's a good hockey trade for Orpik? Outside the box sure, but the Whitney precedent is there.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I posted a Despres for Collberg and a 2nd on the trade boards. What I learned about Despres:

3. Despres can't be both an established NHLer and be stuck in the AHL due to a logjam at D

:sarcasm:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Despres is French Canadian. I can tell because Steigy sometimes stumbles over his name. We really should just give any french canadian player to montreal. It is the polite thing to do. But if we are not going to just give him away we can consider this.

We have a lot of defensive prospects.

It makes sense that we should just give him away for a crappy prospect and a couple of seconds.

Afterall, almost 20% of second round picks play more than a handful of games in the NHL.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

That is 2 x 19% plus a crappy prospect for a NHL ready young french canadian defenseman. Sounds like the Canadians would be doing us a favor with that deal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Then again, if the Pens coaching staff had any faith or interest in letting Despres learn on the job, Niskanen wouldn't be on the team after the Scuderi signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad