Simon Despres Appreciation Love Fest - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd probably rather have Etem than Bennett. But that seems highly irrelevant. Id rather have Despres than both.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bennett's got the hands and the IQ to be effective offensively, and enough of an all around game to be successful at the NHL level, but he doesn't have the wheels to be a legitimate top six option on a contending team. He tops out as a good third liner who can chip in offensively here and there.

Etem's got speed. That is literally it. Likely going to end up being a third line guy as well, who uses his speed to his line's advantage. He's got nothing special other than his wheels.

penguins2946*

Bennett's got the hands and the IQ to be effective offensively, and enough of an all around game to be successful at the NHL level, but he doesn't have the wheels to be a legitimate top six option on a contending team. He tops out as a good third liner who can chip in offensively here and there.

Etem's got speed. That is literally it. Likely going to end up being a third line guy as well, who uses his speed to his line's advantage. He's got nothing special other than his wheels.

He also has a nice shot and decent hands as well. In an ideal world, Bennett and Etem are your 3rd line wingers for a scoring 3rd line.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Silfverberg is the type of return I would have been okay with. Yeah that's unrealistic, but that's how good Despres is NOW and will be in the future. Despres had a much bigger positive impact on the Ducks than Etem and Palmieri. Likely bigger than them combined.

I was really disappointed in Silf's level of intensity in the CFs. I thought he looked like a bystander. Cogs, on the other hand, looked tremendous.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was really disappointed in Silf's level of intensity in the CFs. I thought he looked like a bystander. Cogs, on the other hand, looked tremendous.

I don't disagree with that. Just saying he is the type of return I'd want for Despres. I wouldn't have been offering up Despres in trades at all if I were GM, but given that they were willing to move him, Silf would have been the guy to target from Anaheim.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I don't get what getting a 2nd or Etem does to help the Penguins. Etem was playing on the Ducks' 4th line when he wasn't a healthy scratch. He's not a top-6 guy, don't even think he's a future top-6 tweener.

Despres shouldn't have been traded, because Despres himself filled multiple needs:

1) size/physicality
2) top-4 D

By moving him, they created a hole they cannot immediately fill internally.

And to fill it externally means spending ~5x his 2015-2016 cap hit or trading away even more assets.

In short: trading Despres for Lovejoy and a pick or Lovejoy and Palmieri or Etem doesn't make the team or the trade any better. He's a good player who is only getting better. He was part of the answer, and instead they moved him and created more questions.

Although a 2nd or Etem prolly isn't enough, saying that it would make the trade better is completely false. Etem would become out 2nd best forward prospect and the 2nd would go a long way to replenishing out ****** depth.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I think it's stilly we're still talking about this trade several months after the fact. Don't get me wrong - it was a horrible trade. We traded a young stud d-man with top pairing potential written all over him for a fringe bottom pairing dman on the wrong side of 30. Awful trade.

Still, it happened. It's over. There are 20+ other players on our payroll. Can't we find something else to talk about?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think it's stilly we're still talking about this trade several months after the fact. Don't get me wrong - it was a horrible trade. We traded a young stud d-man with top pairing potential written all over him for a fringe bottom pairing dman on the wrong side of 30. Awful trade.

Still, it happened. It's over. There are 20+ other players on our payroll. Can't we find something else to talk about?

Yes we can talk about something else. There are many other threads on this board to do just that. If you don't want to read constant Despres talk, maybe try one of those other threads.

Thanks!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
"You guys are dumb for talking about a catastrophic trade that will affect this team for years to come. Stop talking about Despres. Get over it."

*presses submit reply in the Despres appreciation thread*

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

triggered

penguins2946*

You're in a thread called "Simon Despres Appreciation Love Fest". What did you expect to see in here?

BobCole

May 21, 2014
"You guys are dumb for talking about a catastrophic trade that will affect this team for years to come. Stop talking about Despres. Get over it."

*presses submit reply in the Despres appreciation thread*

Did I accuse anybody of being dumb? The hostility of this place is maddening. I said I think it's silly to obsess over this trade several months on when there are dozens of other (current) players this team has to sort out in the next month. The Despres trade is behind us.

And for the record, brutal mismanagement of assets (Despres included) and horrible drafting for the better part of a decade are what will have "catastrophic" effects on our team. As much as I love Despres, in the grand scheme of things it's not as though his departure alone will prove to be the demise of this franchise. At the end of the day, he was a very talented prospect at a position where we have several others. I'm not defending the trade (IT SUCKED!) but I've never seen a fanbase obsess over a trade the way we have with this one. I find it nauseating.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
You're in a thread called "Simon Despres Appreciation Love Fest". What did you expect to see in here?

I'm saying I find it nauseating that we're nearing free agency and one of the top 3 threads on our forum is the umpteenth iteration of a thread bemoaning a trade that happened several months ago.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Did I accuse anybody of being dumb? The hostility of this place is maddening. I said I think it's silly to obsess over this trade several months on when there are dozens of other (current) players this team has to sort out in the next month. The Despres trade is behind us.

And for the record, brutal mismanagement of assets (Despres included) and horrible drafting for the better part of a decade are what will have "catastrophic" effects on our team. As much as I love Despres, in the grand scheme of things it's not as though his departure alone will prove to be the demise of this franchise. At the end of the day, he was a very talented prospect at a position where we have several others. I'm not defending the trade (IT SUCKED!) but I've never seen a fanbase obsess over a trade the way we have with this one. I find it nauseating.

There's this really nifty button you can press that allows you to "ignore thread"

I would think that if it was so nauseating for you to read about Despres, you would simply not click the thread dedicated to him.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
There's this really nifty button you can press that allows you to "ignore thread"

I would think that if it was so nauseating for you to read about Despres, you would simply not click the thread dedicated to him.

I actually didn't know about the Ignore Thread feature, thank you :)

penguins2946*

I'm saying I find it nauseating that we're nearing free agency and one of the top 3 threads on our forum is the umpteenth iteration of a thread bemoaning a trade that happened several months ago.

You can just ignore the thread if you don't want to participate in it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Go to a different thread if you want to avoid people talking about it in every post. It's really that simple. Not trying to be hostile, but seriously, go to another thread :laugh:

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

this has been stated before... I don't understand how you missed it or how you don't realize it, but people are obssesing over this trade because this is simply symptomatic for how this organization works in general.

it's not just this trade, this is the cherry on top. the Pens are a terribly run organization, this is what people in here are whining mostly about. it seems like a bunch of internet armchair GMs have more clue about hockey moves than an army of pro GMs and AGMs...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Just sticking with the over-the-top, hyperbole that this thread is in abundance of.

If I was genuinely angry at you, or hostile, I'd have told you to **** off. :laugh: I know you're not an idiot like some of the dummies who come in here with their "HE'S NAHT BOBBY ORR, GET OVER IT. YOUR OBSESSION WITH DESPRES IS CLINICALLY CERTIFIABLE. I WORRY ABOUT YOUR MENTAL HEALTH. MOVE ON."

But that doesn't mean it makes sense to come into a thread specifically about a player/trade and say "Talk about something else." I can't abide by that.

It's a hockey discussion board, and this thread is specifically open for those of us to ***** and whine about the ongoing, unbelievable incompetence of the organization. Yes, it gets over the top with satire and hyperbole, but it's just a bunch of us idiots venting. :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Here's what I don't get... what else is there to talk about?

The Despres trade is a real thing.

Would people prefer we talk about ALL THE TOP-5 PICKS WE'RE TRADING FOR?!?!

OR ALL THE GREAT UFAs WE'RE GOING TO SIGN!!!?!?!?!

everything else this board can talk about right now is baseless speculation with no tangible impact on anything.

The Despres trade is an actual thing that actually happened and can actually be discussed.

And, for the most part, it's been contained to a single thread. Literally every other thread is a fantasy land paradiso.

Let's go trade Scuderi for Stamkos in Trade Thread Part 234 guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad