Prospect Info: Simon Benoit

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Maybe for 2 or 3 years he was a top pair but definitely not most of his career. More of a 2nd pair guy. I don’t think it’s a bad comp

Style wise maybe not a bad comp but I doubt he reaches close to the heights Lydman did in his time in Buffalo and his first season here.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Style wise maybe not a bad comp but I doubt he reaches close to the heights Lydman did in his time in Buffalo and his first season here.
Yeah, it’s always doubtful. Since it’s not fun to compare prospects to 4th line grinders/3rd pairing pylons

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Drew is a big guy but no way he has more upside than Benoit due to his skating. Drew has to
Make huge gains in skating in order to play in the NHL. I hope he does but it’s going to take a lot of improvement.
Drew is actually physically imposing and has much more offense to his game his game. How does he not have more upside? He can actually be another Manson.
Benoits upside is along the lines of a much less physical Braydon Coburn.
Who said Drew is a bad skater? He's about average with room to improve

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Drew is actually physically imposing and has much more offense to his game his game. How does he not have more upside? He can actually be another Manson.

All you had to do was watch the rookie games. Drew is not a good skater and has a long way to go in that area. And if you go simply by size, Benoit is bigger. Now Drew seems more physical but size wise, Benoit is bigger. I hope Drew makes it but as of right now, I choose Benoit due to the skating.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Drew is not a good skater. Not even average right now.

He looks more physical because he goes out of his way to make hits, a goal even happened in rookie game from this. Benoit is smart about it and so far has only done it when needed to get the puck out of our zone.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I like Drew and all, but it is painfully obvious watching him that he’s a fairly poor skater.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I like Drew and all, but it is painfully obvious watching him that he’s a fairly poor skater.

Watching Drew at the tournament reminded me of a meaner Welinski. Similar size and shot, but his skating gonna limit his defensive abilities. I’m still hoping he improves, but if not he’s gonna be a Bieksa past his prime and we all didn’t like that.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I hadn’t decided yet but am open to suggestions.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Paul4587

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I want to see him with Fowler just to see

Reactions: DuckTech

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Played 20+ mins in his 3rd NHL game. Has been looked nice, but he also needs to add more strength.
The Kings looked much like an AHL team though, I hope Benoit will get to play in the remaining games against the Blues and Wild, who are still fighting for something and are actually playoff teams.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This fan base never learns with their hopes and expectations lol.

I’ll hold my expectations back for sure. I still remember being so hyped up about Andrew Gordon and Brian Salcido years ago.

Reactions: wesott11

Hoooch

Jul 14, 2011
Irvine

I’ll hold my expectations back for sure. I still remember being so hyped up about Andrew Gordon and Brian Salcido years ago.

I was devastated when we lost Brendan Mikkelson off waivers. Also quite surprised to see he’s still playing overseas.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Benoit so far though.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What are you referring to here?

Exactly what I said lol. So far I’ve seen comparisons to Lydman, Vlasic, and Despres.

Who’s to say that within two or three years he turns into a Welinski, Sbisa, Mikkelson?

I was devastated when we lost Brendan Mikkelson off waivers. Also quite surprised to see he’s still playing overseas.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Benoit so far though.

damn! Now that’s a throwback lol. I wish he ended up turning into the top-4 guy that we all thought he would’ve been.

Reactions: Hoooch

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Exactly what I said lol. So far I’ve seen comparisons to Lydman, Vlasic, and Despres.

Who’s to say that within two or three years he turns into a Welinski, Sbisa, Mikkelson?
Ok clear. I hadn't seen much of these comparisons, tho, so I did not understand.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

damn! Now that’s a throwback lol. I wish he ended up turning into the top-4 guy that we all thought he would’ve been.
Sbisa was so frustrating to watch, he had a nice skating ability like Guhle.
If he had panned out, Sbarro probably would have had Sbisa do Sbarro commercials....like how Michael Buble does commercials for Bubly.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think Benoit is still a project. Could he become better? Yes. Look at Hakanpaa. It took him a while to become a solid physical defenseman. Right now, Hakanpaa is a better defesnseman than Benoit is today.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Not every prospect follows the same development curve. Beauchemin didn't become a regular NHL'er until he was 25.

But generally speaking, defenseman who are at Benoit's level at his age, aren't likely to become top 4 defenseman. If he ever gets to that point, the Ducks found a gem. It shouldn't be dissappointing if he tops out as a bottom pairing defenseman, or even just an emergency call up.

Frankly, most players in the NHL were (to some degree) hyped at one point. I remember very well how HFboards would be discussing Luca Sbisa vs Michael Del Zotto vs Colby Robak before their draft. Remembering that, it was funny to me how all of them ended up playing for Anaheim at one point, while never reacing their potential with any franchise.

Reactions: KyleJRM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not every prospect follows the same development curve. Beauchemin didn't become a regular NHL'er until he was 25.

But generally speaking, defenseman who are at Benoit's level at his age, aren't likely to become top 4 defenseman. If he ever gets to that point, the Ducks found a gem. It shouldn't be dissappointing if he tops out as a bottom pairing defenseman, or even just an emergency call up.

Frankly, most players in the NHL were (to some degree) hyped at one point. I remember very well how HFboards would be discussing Luca Sbisa vs Michael Del Zotto vs Colby Robak before their draft. Remembering that, it was funny to me how all of them ended up playing for Anaheim at one point, while never reacing their potential with any franchise.

The fact that Benoit went from an undrafted free agent to being a bottom pairing defenseman at the NHL level should already be called a gem because he's already beating the odds. Benoit has a tougher climb to be a bottom pairing NHL defenseman with the Ducks because Fleury has the lead for the third LHD spot playing on the left side. What Benoit needs to bring is more physicality and predicting where the game is going to compensate for his lack of speed, essentially be Hakanpaa. Fleury is looking like a speedy two-way defenseman, Mahura is an offensive defenseman, Curran is an offensive defenseman, and Larsson a defensive defenseman. If Benoit can improve the physicality and puck prediction, then he brings something that all of the aforementioned defenseman cannot bring - that physicality. Larsson is the closest person who brings physicality, kills penalties, and, thus, he is often on the ice, unfortunately. That niche does exist, even playing on the off-side. Remember, Hakanpaa found himself as a top-4 pairing defenseman for the Ducks and was wanted by a playoff team, 'Canes. The path exists for Benoit and I'd love to see him succeed in the NHL.

But his window might be a short one in Anaheim because there are two more LHD prospects on the horizon in LaCombe and Thrun. LaCombe is a speedy two-way defenseman (he loves blocking shots and is on the PK). Thrun is a slower two-way defenseman, but specialty in being a physical, shutdown type.

Reactions: lwvs84
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Benoit looked better in his games than Mahura ever did in any of his. I think the only reason people are thinking of Benoit as a longshot is because he wasn't drafted. If a 22 year old 2nd round draft pick (or what have you) had the minor pro career that Benoit has, and then looked like Benoit looked in his NHL debut games, we'd be pretty excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad