Prospect Info: Simon Benoit

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The closest comparison that everyone on here has seen to me lately is probably depres.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
]I’ll take a Simon despres comp!And hope that cam and Hampus can up their offense a bit, any chance he has shutdown defense #3/4 potential ? Like a Manson ?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Likely a 5-6 because he doesn't bring any offense really.

I think he'll be taking the Manson route. Although Benoit is projected to be a bottom pairing defenseman, I thought that was Manson's projection as well. LoL I'm just impressed with Benoit securing an NHL contract after being undrafted and showed up for the AHL San Diego club.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I think he'll be taking the Manson route. Although Benoit is projected to be a bottom pairing defenseman, I thought that was Manson's projection as well. LoL I'm just impressed with Benoit securing an NHL contract after being undrafted and showed up for the AHL San Diego club.
Manson's projection was difficult because every season he looked like a different player. I don't think that's going to be the case with Benoit.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Manson's projection was difficult because every season he looked like a different player. I don't think that's going to be the case with Benoit.

Manson also switched to D really late, I believe he was 17 or 18 when he made the transition. That always makes development curves more difficult to predict.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How about lankier Vlasic (on an off season offensively)? Shut down guy with consistent positioning and occasional nasty.

Vlasic was considered one of the very best shutdown D in the game. No one should be expecting Benoit to reach any type of elite status. A serviceable #4-6 defensive D would be an outstanding result from an undrafted signing.

As mentioned, even the Manson comparison is a reach - few if any prospects develop in the same leaps and bounds as Manson.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Upside is a defensive mistake free #4 that will pair well with an offensive #3. Downside is Jaycob Megna.
From what little we’ve seen on Benoit it seems like his floor is higher than Megna’s ceiling. Shows a much higher IQ, smart positioning, using his body to push attackers off the puck, making smart passes. He’s going to be a NHL defender sooner than later. Megna is a career AHLer.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Lydman is a good comp too

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Are we talking style wise or impact? Because Lydman was a top pairing Dman at the NHL. If Benoit ever reaches the heights Lydman did I will eat my shoes.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Are we talking style wise or impact? Because Lydman was a top pairing Dman at the NHL. If Benoit ever reaches the heights Lydman did I will eat my shoes.
Maybe for 2 or 3 years he was a top pair but definitely not most of his career. More of a 2nd pair guy. I don’t think it’s a bad comp

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Drew is a big guy but no way he has more upside than Benoit due to his skating. Drew has to
Make huge gains in skating in order to play in the NHL. I hope he does but it’s going to take a lot of improvement.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad