Confirmed with Link: Simmonds to Buffalo for cond. 5th in 2021

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If we had won our 2 games against Buffalo this year we'd be tied with them in points with a game in hand. They are not making the playoffs.

They don't have a prayer at the WC, and as much as Toronto is Toronto-ing as hard as they can they're clearly far better, and Buffalo would still have to leapfrog Florida (who, again, is Florida-ing as hard as they can).

Reactions: Guttersniped

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Buffalo has gone 0-5-0 since acquiring Simmonds. They've been outscored 19-9 in those five games. Simmonds has 1 assist and is -4.

NJ is 2 points behind them in the standings with a game in hand.

Reactions: Darkauron

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's very odd that:
A) Buffalo made a deadline acquisition
B) Simmonds waived to go there

Neither of those things make any sense.
Botterill is really, really dumb. He gave an interview with a local Buffalo sports radio show yesterday and it was absolutely staggering.

Apparently one of the reasons he wanted to trade for Simmonds was because he planned on signing him this summer and thought he could get a head start by having his rights going into the offseason.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's very odd that:
A) Buffalo made a deadline acquisition
B) Simmonds waived to go there

Neither of those things make any sense.

B is not really odd if you go by the premise (which I do) there wasn't much clamoring for Wayne at this point. So it's either waive to go to a team who was then six points out of the playoffs or stay with a team a zillion points out in clear sell mode, I don't think he had his choice of actual contenders to go to.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Botterill is really, really dumb. He gave an interview with a local Buffalo sports radio show yesterday and it was absolutely staggering.

Apparently one of the reasons he wanted to trade for Simmonds was because he planned on signing him this summer and thought he could get a head start by having his rights going into the offseason.

He may be dumb about other things but spending a 2021 5th round pick to test drive Simmonds before potentially signing him isn’t a bad idea. The return itself makes it very clear that there wasn’t a bidding war involving other teams, we even retained 50% of his remaining salary. Hell, he could have got Simmonds to bring some positive energy to a struggling young club. GMs trade for players for a variety of reasons.

The least dumb part of Arizona trading for Hall is the idea that Chayka wants to sign him and the only possible way that happens is if Hall was part of a playoff run there before becoming a UFA.

Comparing the standings now is a bit unfair since we just took a road trip where we literally played the worst teams in the NHL while Buffalo played much better teams on their long road trip. That said Buffalo was not remotely a bubble team at the TDL and this losing streak plus an absolutely brutal remaining schedule makes any such claims pretty sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I thought for sure Simmonds wasn't getting another deal. Buffalo seems to have culture issues so I get why Botterill might target Simmonds but I can't imagine a free agent replacement level winger doing all that much to solve that issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00