TSN: Simmonds on tsn: "Something you cherish and don't take granted." On his return.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Same can be said about JT, lol.
yep, and i have been very critical of JT. the obsession with these types of players is a different thing all together though.

simmonds has 1 assist and 14 penalty minutes in his leafs post season career. he doesnt help us win.

I love Simmonds. Really hoping they can keep him fresh all year. I don't love seeing an out-of-gas Simmonds in the lineup but a fresh/healthy Simmonds is an asset.
a healthy wayne that actually has a positive impact i would have no problem with, he would probably be one of my favorite players. but the vast majority of the time hes a net negative on the ice imo

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
yep, and i have been very critical of JT. the obsession with these types of players is a different thing all together though.

simmonds has 1 assist and 14 penalty minutes in his leafs post season career. he doesnt help us win.

a healthy wayne that actually has a positive impact i would have no problem with, he would probably be one of my favorite players. but the vast majority of the time hes a net negative on the ice imo
I would say he was a positive on the ice last night. And he's fresh and healthy at the moment.

They don't need to play him every night but picking their spots with him and having him available to play in the playoffs as a fresh player will be an asset. The only issue I had with him last night was the unnecessary penalty against Scheifele. Other than that he was far more noticable than ZAR or NAK have been so far.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'd like to see Simmonds stay on the 4th line. Take out Clifford and play Engvall/NAK in that spot.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I would say he was a positive on the ice last night. And he's fresh and healthy at the moment.

They don't need to play him every night but picking their spots with him and having him available to play in the playoffs as a fresh player will be an asset. The only issue I had with him last night was the unnecessary penalty against Scheifele. Other than that he was far more noticable than ZAR or NAK have been so far.
sure, i view him as a player that when he plays like last night has a spot on the roster.
but as we all know he goes through looooong stretches of being pretty bad and is always at risk of taking a stupid penalty even when hes playing well, that can cost us a game.

as long as the leafs use him in the proper way(extra forward who can provide some energy and toughness vs bigger opponents etc) i got no issue. the only issue i have is when people go overboard with hype over basically what is a fringe forward at this point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
people love to overreact when its about "toughness" with this team. whether you agree or not i dont really care lol. wayne simmonds has done nothing to improve the leafs in his time here imo.

Some people seem to see toughness and skill as diametrically opposed concepts and you have to choose one. The secret is you have to find the right equilibrium between the two and use toughness to support the skill you have.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

ZAR Kampf NAK was never mentioned like this in a Tweet. I don't know why ZAR/NAK are so flat so far.

Happy for Clifford/Simmonds. The team needs all of our bottom 6 to click.

Some people seem to see toughness and skill as diametrically opposed concepts and you have to choose one. The secret is you have to find the right equilibrium between the two and use toughness to support the skill you have.
Some people just suck at being shitty.

Haha sorry. Too much caffeine this morning.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
people love to overreact when its about "toughness" with this team. whether you agree or not i dont really care lol. wayne simmonds has done nothing to improve the leafs in his time here imo.
Everyone knows that you have to be tough to win in the NHL, it’s a hard contact sport. Simmonds proves that in October, unfortunately, he‘s not able to be effective for 82 games and the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Everyone knows that you have to be tough to win in the NHL, it’s a hard contact sport. Simmonds proves that in October, unfortunately, he‘s not able to be effective for 82 games and the playoffs.

You know, this strikes close to what I find essentially annoying about Kyle Dubas.

He knows that ingredients like toughness and size and goaltending are necessary to win.

But he never integrates these concepts into higher in the lineup and makes due with adding on the fringes and going back to the well on past due pieces. You already have the once in a century talent…

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Yes it takes all kinds. You win hockey games by scoring more than your opponent and that won't ever change, so it makes sense for your roster to have a lot of skilled players who can score. But as we have seen, physicality has it's place and there are different kinds.

You need players who forecheck hard, you need players who finish checks hard, you need players willing to drop the gloves when something is out of line and you need players who give your team heart. Unicorns do all of these but in reality your roster needs players who excel at multiple of these and you need them all over the lineup.

Having guys who check hard doesn't help when Matthews gets bullied or our goalie gets run over. And having fighters on our 4th line doesn't help our forecheck.

Personally I think we need at least 1 more physical dman like Bush was last year (esp if Muzzin is out) and if we think our 4th line is ok with Simmonds and Clifford we need another Hyman or two up front. Hoping Robertson can be one of the sparkplugs on the forecheck

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You know, this strikes close to what I find essentially annoying about Kyle Dubas.

He knows that ingredients like toughness and size and goaltending are necessary to win.

But he never integrates these concepts into higher in the lineup and makes due with adding on the fringes and going back to the well on past due pieces. You already have the once in a century talent…

Mind finding me a top 6 player with size and toughness that is available?

I'd love one, I am sure Dubas would, and I am sure everyone is hoping we drafted one in Knies.

Matthews also looks like he is turning into one.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

I think it's more leadership that he's referring to then toughness

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Essentially my thoughts. In reality, most teams don’t have much that would qualify to people here as top 6 toughness and the ones that do are not exactly lining up to trade them because they are generally pretty hard to acquire through any means other than the draft.

I think it’s safe to say we’d all like to add that if we could, but the options are limited and you’re fighting with 30 other teams for every guy of that make up

As for the OP. Simmonds isn’t a good hockey player and isn’t needed. I think the idea that Simmonds and Clifford are being credited for the response of other players on this team to Winnipegs physical and often dirty play is insulting to the players who actually stepped up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
ZAR Kampf NAK was never mentioned like this in a Tweet. I don't know why ZAR/NAK are so flat so far.
They were mentioned during the broadcast however because that line was held without a shot on net in 3 of the 5 games they played together.

Kampf with ZAR and Kube as 4th line.

Zach Aston-Reese ...... 5 games 0-0-0 points and 2 shots on net.
Nicolas Aube-Kubel ....5 games 0-0-0 points and 1 shot on net.
David Kampf ................ 5 games 1-0-1 points and 3 shots on net.

Kampf with Simmonds and Clifford as a 4th line.

David Kampf .............. 1 game 1-0-1 points with 3 Shots.
Wayne Simmonds .... 1 game 0-1-1 points with 0 shots
Kyle Clifford ..................1 game 0-1-1 poiints with 2 shots,

GWG vs Winnipeg .... David Kampf (2) - Assists: Wayne Simmonds (1), Kyle Clifford (1)

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'd love one, I am sure Dubas would, and I am sure everyone is hoping we drafted one in Knies.

Matthews also looks like he is turning into one.

It’s Dubas’ job to make it happen.

Matthews could be turning into one but we need more than internal upgrades in this department.

Reactions: Cleetus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad