[Silver Sevens] The “Fleece-Off Circle”: A Look at the Senators Before the Trade Deadline

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Some different perspectives on our trade bait.

The “Fleece-Off Circle”: A Look at the Senators Before the Trade Deadline

Once again, Pierre Dorion has his work cut out for him.

We’re only ten days away from the 2020 NHL Trade Deadline, and with several pending UFAs on the Ottawa Senators’ roster, GM Pierre Dorion is once again expected to be extremely busy; working out trades and contract extensions alike. We’re going to take a gander at the Senators’ outlook for the trade deadline; who could be moved, who will stay put, and how the Belleville Senators’ playoff run will affect roster decisions for the big club

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Excellent synopsis of the reasons Dorion has to keep some UFAs through the TDL.

I assume Batherson and Hogberg will be 2 of the post TDL call ups so that leaves 2 more.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Tbh I don't think this deadline is that hard for dorion.

Last year was a shit show cause of the level of talent we were moving

Right now most of our guys are bottom 6 or bottom 2 defensemen on playoff contenders. Should be pretty straightforward deals

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Excellent synopsis of the reasons Dorion has to keep some UFAs through the TDL.

I assume Batherson and Hogberg will be 2 of the post TDL call ups so that leaves 2 more.
Batherson and hog are already up here to stay

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Batherson and hog are already up here to stay
1. To be eligible to play in the AHL after the TDL including playoffs the player must be on the AHL roster at the TDL.
2. An NHL team can only use 4 call ups after the TDL. (Bath and Hog would be 2).
3. An NHL team must have 18 skaters and 2 goalies minimum on the roster at all times.

So trading let’s say 4 players by the TDL would mean that we would need 18 skaters and 2 goalies on the NHL roster who aren’t eligible to play in the AHL for the rest of the year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2nd and 3rd for Pageau
Keep Demelo
? for Ennis but cheap to hang on to
3rd for Namestnikov
2nd for Boro
4th for Hainsey
Nothing for Anderson

If the Sens can get that they should and they should try to get something for Ennis as well.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
If we're being honest, most of the UFA's are pretty much useless (outside of pageau and demelo)

Boedker= cannon fodder
Namestnikov= meh depth player
Ennis= bottom 6 winger
Sabourin= cannon fodder
Old man Ron= can't keep up anymore
Boro=character bottom pairing defenseman
Goloubef= AHL defenseman having the time of his life as cannon fodder
Anderson= The worst starter in the NHL for the past 2.5 years

Obviously trading guys on expiring contracts for almost nothing is better than letting them walk for nothing, but dumping all that might bring back 2-3 mid/late round picks. Including Batherson (who will be counting as 1 of the 4 AHL call ups), Ottawa has 13 forwards on the roster and 7 defenseman, so even if they find a sucker to take those roster dumps, they'll burn through their 3 remaining AHL call ups pretty fast because they still need to ice a team for the last 5 weeks of the season.

Teams aren't necessarily lining up to scoop the bottom half of one of the worst teams in the NHL's roster. Even if Pierre is actively trying to move them all, there really cant be much of a market for them.

If the line for "How many trades with Ottawa make before the deadline" was set at 2.5, I'd take the under

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
2nd and 3rd for Pageau
Keep Demelo
? for Ennis but cheap to hang on to
3rd for Namestnikov
2nd for Boro
4th for Hainsey
Nothing for Anderson

If the Sens can get that they should and they should try to get something for Ennis as well.
Getting those returns would qualify as GM of the year.

Reactions: Matsens15

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa should trade any & all of the UFAs they possibly can & get as much of a return as possible & not just for picks in this upcoming 2020 draft, but for the 2021 draft as well. They should also look to get prospects from other teams that may have a chance to play on a future Sens team too.

Obviously, they won't be able to trade them all, but there are a few that are drawing some interest & regardless of how fans feel about them or for their veteran leadership Ottawa can always get veteran leadership & some rentals on July 1. Get as much as you can from the players with no future on this team including any RFAs as well. They have plenty of good young players coming & some may only need another quarter or half season in Belleville next yr before they will be NHL ready like L. Brown, Norris & Formenton. Ottawa will have a few vets still left on contracts & some of the younger guys are slowly taking over leadership on this team like Tkachuk.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ottawa should trade any & all of the UFAs they possibly can & get as much of a return as possible & not just for picks in this upcoming 2020 draft, but for the 2021 draft as well. They should also look to get prospects from other teams that may have a chance to play on a future Sens team too.

Obviously, they won't be able to trade them all, but there are a few that are drawing some interest & regardless of how fans feel about them or for their veteran leadership Ottawa can always get veteran leadership & some rentals on July 1. Get as much as you can from the players with no future on this team including any RFAs as well. They have plenty of good young players coming & some may only need another quarter or half season in Belleville next yr before they will be NHL ready like L. Brown, Norris & Formenton. Ottawa will have a few vets still left on contracts & some of the younger guys are slowly taking over leadership on this team like Tkachuk.
What’s your roster post deadline ?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Getting those returns would qualify as GM of the year.
So you are saying we are not getting them.. those are the returns suggested by the article.
I would say other than the Pageau, Ennis and Anderson ones they are all wishful thinking.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What’s your roster post deadline ?

They may keep Batherson in Ottawa for the remainder of the season, but they could also send him down to Belleville although I think Belleville could have a decent playoff run even without him. Same can be said for Hogberg who is playing great these days. There are a few guys that I doubt Ottawa will be able to trade at the deadline like Anderson, Boedker, Sabourin or maybe even Namestikov to fill the roster for the remainder of the season. Even after the deadline I expect that they will bring up a few guys to have a look at them such as Norris & Formenton so even if Ottawa were able to move another player or two they should be able to finish the season with bringing different guys up at different times to fill in & be evaluated.

I also think they will re-sign Boroweicki & maybe they will try & move Nilsson since Anderson has no market for his services. While I doubt Paul will be moved to centre I would like to see that, but with this lineup they should be able to have a better shot at winning the lottery or moving up. They might reward some older AHL vets such as Szwarz & Murray with a few NHL games too.

Tkachuk - Paul - Duclair
Namestikov - Teirny - C. Brown
Anisimov - White - Ryan
Boedker - Chlapik - Sabourin/Szwarz

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boroweicki - Goloubef/Englund

Hogberg - Anderson/Daccord

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
1. To be eligible to play in the AHL after the TDL including playoffs the player must be on the AHL roster at the TDL.
2. An NHL team can only use 4 call ups after the TDL. (Bath and Hog would be 2).
3. An NHL team must have 18 skaters and 2 goalies minimum on the roster at all times.

So trading let’s say 4 players by the TDL would mean that we would need 18 skaters and 2 goalies on the NHL roster who aren’t eligible to play in the AHL for the rest of the year.
Don't think hog would go back even for a playoff run imo unless daccord and Gus completely crash and burn

Batherson you are probably right

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Most of the pundits agree that Boro brings value to this team. Shows how out of touch some of fans are.

Granted, I am way out of touch with the Sens this year. Haven't seen much reason to watch many games. But a second for Borowiecki? That doesn't seem far-fetched to you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad