GDT: Silver Knights

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Bottle this game and effort up and repeat it the rest of the way and we won't have to worry about scoreboard watching any other games. We play like this and there are few teams that can match it, and it's really a welcome sight to see it all start to come together like it did tonight

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And that 1 shot was 53 seconds into the game.

Also, I don't think this is true, as Eichel has 2 shots on his own
As a line together 5v5, they only had 3 shots all night in 10 min of TOI. There are times (PP, after PK, Line change, etc.) where an individual player may get a shot that won’t apply to the line itself.

The Staal line, in 9 min. of TOI 5v5 only gave up 2 of those shots all night. Conversely, TT-Drury-Svech gave up 10 shots in 11.5 min 5v5 toi.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I kinda like these lines and hope RBA keeps them together for a while. Allows the Canes to have 4 lines that can play and has a physical/net front type player on each line.

Last night 5v5 toi:
Bunting-KK-Necas: 11:37
Svech-Drury-TT: 11:31
Noesen-Aho-Jarvis: 10:01
Martinook-Staal-Fast: 8:52

Pretty balanced TOI 5v5 across all 5 lines. Of course, that's easy to do with a big lead.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Alright well, that was fun. The last 2 min took some of the shine off of it, but overall best game of the season.

Having Svech back is big. 11-7 was working but Tripp brought up an interesting point that perhaps 11-7 was preventing some of the chemistry that could cause more of the offensive creativity we saw today (idk how much I buy it, but it's a theory). PP didn't suffer without TDA - maybe we need TDA to come in and spark the PP when it loses its shine, but PP1 looked the same with Burns last night as it did with TDA the last few games. Aho is the one stirring the drink on that unit right now, not necessarily the dman.

Noesen continues to be my favorite player. Love the way he finds passes around the net: no look, weirdly contorted around his body, etc. He's clearly got good, simple hockey sense in the ozone. Whatever line he's on seems to get a boost.

Biggest story though was the Staal line. Fast to Staal was beautiful, but perhaps even more encouraging was their followup shift to that goal. You can tell there was a mindset shift - a lot more passes above the goalline, a bit less cycling while not completely moving away from it as their bread and butter. This dynamic seemed to happen to the whole team but especially this line - they picked their head up and looked for offensive plays in the offensive zone, and it worked out for them.

Kochetkov looked amazing, to the point where I started wondering if the goaltending is solved, and then gave those last 2 min just to remind me that it probably isn't completely solved yet. That said, he looked great all game and for 58 minutes goaltending was simply not the story. That's all this team needs.

Was good to see Kotkaniemi get the monkey off his back. I don't think he'd looked nearly as bad as 1g 0a in 10 games or whatever it was, but he's definitely faded back into more of the "don't notice me good or bad" role that we saw in the first half of last year. Hopefully this wakes him up. I saw that it was his first ever NHL game in front of his grandparents so that's a good game to get on the scoresheet.

I didn't think he looked especially dangerous or gamechanging, but Michael Bunting walked away with 3 points and the #1 star. That's kinda what we were hoping we signed - not a gamebreaker but an efficient cleanup scorer. Hope this is a springboard to his season as well.

Overall, psyched about this. I frankly was approaching watching this game with a bit of a pit in my stomach. This is the type of game you could look back at and say it was a turning point.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
What in the world is a microwave goal? Or do I have something in my ears...

I wondered too ... trying to make sense of it, I guess he means something akin to a "laser beam" of a shot?

I think it is a joke reference to what Tripp was saying during the earlier highlight package about the previous goal(s). Tripp was going on and on about "cooking with oil, gas, and gravey (wtf?)" and I think Mike was just having some fun with the microwave reference.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Sometimes your friends turn on you
1703082979048.png

1703083056020.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad