Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I’m ok with Myers although I would rather move Perrault have Roslo take his spot. Maybe both as we could replace both with a slight downgrade and look for a 2c. Need a draft pick in there though cause we will need to restock in a couple years as anoth expansion draft we will lose someone important
Myers pretty much needs to be traded this summer, if we want to extract any value out of his contract. With Perreault, we have enough time to listen to offers. Also, he is 100% worth his deal, even when you consider his role on this team. Myers, not so much.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Myers has been a remarkable story this year, playing what? 95 games? I couldn't have even imagined. If the Jets were to extract max value, yes they would move him this summer. It's a no brainer. At the same time he is clearly a "TNSE guy" so I suspect he is going nowhere.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Myers has been a remarkable story this year, playing what? 95 games? I couldn't have even imagined. If the Jets were to extract max value, yes they would move him this summer. It's a no brainer. At the same time he is clearly a "TNSE guy" so I suspect he is going nowhere.
I agree. I think Myers plays out his final year and then either signs for what our cap space allows or he moves on. IMO Jets are at a contending point where you keep the roster as strong as you can as long as you can. The real cap crunch doesn't really happen until Laine's 2nd contract comes due in 2019-20. I do think they will need to bridge Morrissey for 2 years to allow a few other contracts off the books before you go long term with him.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jesus

****ing

Christ

What exactly is your point?

Do you think I'm being unfair to him or something. His next contract will begin at age 33. How many players maintain their play post that age, the answer is very few. The simple fact of the matter is that there is a hih probability that he will not be worth his next contract. Imo it is reasonable for the team to hedge against this be going short term. There is precedence to this if you look at how the Sharks have handled their aging star forwards.

3 years at 7.5 per is still compensating him handsomely for years he will still be a key component. Not sure what insulting about that. The team always has the option of extending him after if he's still effective at age 37.

Reactions: Guerzy and hudster

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Something has to give. We can't keep everyone. Even though we obviously all want too. Crunch the numbers and you can see it just isn't possible.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
What exactly is your point?

Do you think I'm being unfair to him or something. His next contract will begin at age 33. How many players maintain their play post that age, the answer is very few. The simple fact of the matter is that there is a hih probability that he will not be worth his next contract. Imo it is reasonable for the team to hedge against this be going short term. There is precedence to this if you look at how the Sharks have handled their aging star forwards.

3 years at 7.5 per is still compensating him handsomely for years he will still be a key component. Not sure what insulting about that. The team always has the option of extending him after if he's still effective at age 37.

This team finished 2nd in the league and is playing in the Conference Finals right now. Yet you suggest trading Wheeler if he doesn't agree to extend on certain terms. That's insane.

There is a debate to be had about what the contract details for a Wheeler extension should or should not look like, and your opinion on that is definitely reasonable. But in no way should a 114-point conference finalist trade their 90-point captain over a contract disagreement. We're going to have a good chance to win the cup next year, with three key forwards on very cheap contracts for what they bring. That's not a chance you piss away.

There is a time for a franchise when it should be a priority to replace older players with younger players and avoid contracts that could hurt 3-5 years down the line. That time for the Jets was when they consistently finished out of the playoffs. Now is not the time. Now the #1 priority is to win the cup by constructing the best roster you possibly can. Don't trade very good UFA-to-bes just to "recoup" some "value" (magic beans).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Do the Jets truly have any big issues for next season? I think we can get by next year, the following year is moerso the crunch IMO. The issue arises if we extend Stastny or any other 2C an offer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This team finished 2nd in the league and is playing in the Conference Finals right now. Yet you suggest trading Wheeler if he doesn't agree to extend on certain terms. That's insane.

There is a debate to be had about what the contract details for a Wheeler extension should or should not look like, and your opinion on that is definitely reasonable. But in no way should a 114-point conference finalist trade their 90-point captain over a contract disagreement. We're going to have a good chance to win the cup next year, with three key forwards on very cheap contracts for what they bring. That's not a chance you piss away.

There is a time for a franchise when it should be a priority to replace older players with younger players and avoid contracts that could hurt 3-5 years down the line. That time for the Jets was when they consistently finished out of the playoffs. Now is not the time. Now the #1 priority is to win the cup by constructing the best roster you possibly can. Don't trade very good UFA-to-bes just to "recoup" some "value" (magic beans).

Then let him walk as a Ufa then. The point was not to criple the team with an awful contract. That was the point I was trying to make. If you want to use him as a rental because we are contending I have no issue with it. Quite frankly I think he will be reasonable with his demands ala BUFF so this is likely a moot point.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Then let him walk as a Ufa then. The point was not to criple the team with an awful contract. That was the point I was trying to make. If you want to use him as a rental because we are contending I have no issue with it. Quite frankly I think he will be reasonable with his demands ala BUFF so this is likely a moot point.

That's more reasonable.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Myers pretty much needs to be traded this summer, if we want to extract any value out of his contract. With Perreault, we have enough time to listen to offers. Also, he is 100% worth his deal, even when you consider his role on this team. Myers, not so much.
There is a bigger drop in talent when Poolman replaces Myers opposed to Roslo replacing Perrault.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do the Jets truly have any big issues for next season? I think we can get by next year, the following year is moerso the crunch IMO. The issue arises if we extend Stastny or any other 2C an offer.

It all depends on the cap rise and what we are looking at for extensions. So much rides on what Trouba, Helle and Morrissey sign for.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It all depends on the cap rise and what we are looking at for extensions. So much rides on what Trouba, Helle and Morrissey sign for.

It also depends on what they want to do with some of the secondary pieces like Armia and Tanev. Lowry will also by in for a raise.

They will likely have to cut some salary to make it work.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It also depends on what they want to do with some of the secondary pieces like Armia and Tanev. Lowry will also by in for a raise.

They will likely have to cut some salary to make it work.

Yep it's so hard to gauge some of the contracts we could be in for. Chevy has a lot of negotiating to do this off season with some big pieces of our core going forward.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep it's so hard to gauge some of the contracts we could be in for. Chevy has a lot of negotiating to do this off season with some big pieces of our core going forward.

Yup it will be interesting to see how it plays out. My strategy is to go long term with the core pieces if possible and then go short term and cheap on the depth. I feel that we have the system depth to move on from guys like Armia/Tanev etc if they demand too much dough.

Reactions: Guerzy and Mathil8

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
People over reacting to his ask for 8M need to remember that it's just his starting point, if that's his ask we'll get him for fair value methinks. I'm just happy he reportedly wants to stay. It would be very hard to get a defenseman of similar ilk back via trade.

Just guessing but - if he starts at 8, they probably settle for around 7. That's at the high end of the range for him, IMO. Maybe even a little above the top of the range. I think it should be closer to 6.5.

I could see the 7 if it is for 8 years. If the term is less then the AAV has to come down appropriately.

Just as a point of reference, Trouba and Scheifele went into their second contracts at the same time. Fefe got 49 mil over 8 years. Trouba got 6 mil over 2 years. That 6 mil was adjusted because of his holdout but it was basically a 2 year, 6 mil contract. So - for Trouba to get the same total money over the same period it would go:
49-6 = 43
43/6 = 7.166666

Reactions: RRenegade

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you're probably right. I do think the Jets need another #2-3 C to go along with Little to be a real contender, but they'll probably have to find another way of acquiring that. I think they can start the season with different C configurations, and see how things develop. By the TDL, they should have a better idea of what they need.

Oh gawd, I hope Chevy doesn't trade away our first again! The chances of hitting on another Stastny are very poor.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Just guessing but - if he starts at 8, they probably settle for around 7. That's at the high end of the range for him, IMO. Maybe even a little above the top of the range. I think it should be closer to 6.5.

I could see the 7 if it is for 8 years. If the term is less then the AAV has to come down appropriately.

Just as a point of reference, Trouba and Scheifele went into their second contracts at the same time. Fefe got 49 mil over 8 years. Trouba got 6 mil over 2 years. That 6 mil was adjusted because of his holdout but it was basically a 2 year, 6 mil contract. So - for Trouba to get the same total money over the same period it would go:
49-6 = 43
43/6 = 7.166666
Yep but Trouba should not get rewarded for turning down a long term deal in addition Chef is much more crucial to team success. 1c while we have depth in rd. is Myers as good as Trouba? No but it does strengthen our bargaining position while we had no one else who could play 1c.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

It depends I guess. Elhers is getting a $5mm raise, which everything else being the same would take us close to the current cap. Morrissey, Trouba and Hellebuyck all needing new contracts with somewhat significant raises. On the flip the cap will rise somewhere in the $3 to $5mm range and we save $1mm on Stuart's hit dropping and Enstrom is either gone or making significantly less which will offset some.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yes of course. assuming 80M cap, the Jets have 25.5M avail.

the key players to sign are Helle, Morrissey, Trouba and Lowry - got to consider their cap hits as well for the following year when Laine, Connor and Wheeler are due.

can you see a situation where those 4 players combine for 20M or under?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We either sign another 2C or trade for at the deadline. both have pros and cons. This team was still a top 5 team in the 60 games w/o Stastny was it not?

Reactions: Evil Little

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As long at Toth has a decent source (big "if") and their is a will for Jacob to stay that is a very VERY big hurdle. Now they need to settle on a deal that works for both sides and of coarse that could be a stumbling block but Chevy and Simmons seem like guys that are capable of making it happen.

Remember when Jacob was pissed off he was jammed up on a ****ty team anchored to Mark Stewart in a city that had traded his buddy. The situation looked a little bleak. Fast forward to today and he is playing on the top pair with an elite NHL D partner in the conference finals of the NHL playoffs on a team that looks like they will be contending for the next 5-7 years. Those are lots of reasons to have some sober second thought about leaving.

What's Toth's track record breaking news? AFAIK, he doesn't have a track record, good or bad.

Reactions: Evil Little

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad