Confirmed with Link: Signed Vince Dunn (4M x 2)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think its a slight overpay but we need someone offensively minded once Gio is gone. Also, Dunn remains an RFA once this deal is up so that is definitely a positive for us.

I want to say it is an overpay. But Nurse just got 9 million and 8 years so I don't have any f***ing idea what defensemen are worth.

At least the term is low.

Reactions: brewski420

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hard to say what would be the result of the arbitration hearing between the team and the player. Dunn could have ended up with less or Seattle could have ended up having to agree to a higher amount.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
That's not a bad signing at all. I was thinking 3.5-4.5, so it hit the sweet spot. Very cool that they avoid arbitration with it. I think arbitration would have come up around that amount anyway. I think this signing will lead to some moves, not necessarily involving Dunn, but certainly something. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Reactions: brewski420

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's not a bad signing at all. I was thinking 3.5-4.5, so it hit the sweet spot. Very cool that they avoid arbitration with it. I think arbitration would have come up around that amount anyway. I think this signing will lead to some moves, not necessarily involving Dunn, but certainly something. Am I crazy for thinking that?

I don't see how Dunn has any argument for this contract in arbitration to be honest.

I feel like on a one or two year deal as an RFA they could've squeezed him at 3 mil. But realistically who gives a shit.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I tend to agree. The term is probably the best thing about the signing.

The thing is with arbitration on contract salaries its hard to really know what direction the person will decide on. Some times is best to avoid it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I want to say it is an overpay. But Nurse just got 9 million and 8 years so I don't have any f***ing idea what defensemen are worth.

At least the term is low.
Ha ha. Seriously. The market for D-men is just weird right now. Pelech got a pretty good deal from the NYI stand point but it is hard to defend the deal the Oilers just gave Nurse. Seems like offensively minded D-men are getting massively overpaid in this market.

If we look at it from that perspective, the Dunn deal is a steal .. :D

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Travis Sanheim. Although, I think Sanheim is much better.

Yeah. I'd agree. Possibly Ryan Ellis too. Schultz is at 4m, Ellis at 6.25m, Sanheim at 3.25. I think if it makes it to arbitration we're in the mid-range of likelihood to see 4m. I've no doubt Seattle also has some experts on speed dial to check in on this matter. They are an analytics heavy club after all.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah. I'd agree. Possibly Ryan Ellis too. Schultz is at 4m, Ellis at 6.25m, Sanheim at 6.5. I think if it makes it to arbitration we're in the mid-range of likelihood to see 4m. I've no doubt Seattle also has some experts on speed dial to check in on this matter. They are an analytics heavy club after all.

Ellis and Schultz aren't comparable IMO as they have played as # 1 D options in the past. Dunn is a bottom pairing guy.

I also think Ellis and Schultz are far more trusted in defensive situations.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ha ha. Seriously. The market for D-men is just weird right now. Pelech got a pretty good deal from the NYI stand point but it is hard to defend the deal the Oilers just gave Nurse. Seems like offensively minded D-men are getting massively overpaid in this market.

If we look at it from that perspective, the Dunn deal is a steal .. :D

Blame it on the Seth Jones extension with Chicago.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Ok deal. I hoped he would get something around 3.

Defensemen are getting paid this year. Dunn was basically a .5 point per game player last season. And yes, I realize that Dunn is not really a well rounded top four defender so far in his career, but the PPG metric always seems to be the biggest factor in arbitration, so I am glad it didn't get that far.

If he breaks out, people are going to criticize Francis for not locking him up for longer at a slightly higher AAV, but given Seattle's mix on D, I think the 2 year move was actually a good idea. They have several guys in the mix that might step up, smart to take a season and figure what you have before committing to players that look like a good fit on paper but have never played a game for the organization.

Last edited:

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
I figured it would be in the $4M range. For only $500k more in cap space I'd have rather had Ghost and a 2nd rounder in next year's draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad