Proposal: Sign Scott Gomez

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have thought about this some more, and although I still think Gomez could probably make the team, I don't think we should make this move.

As others have said, we did bandaid fixes for years, and years under D and B Sutter. They just don't work. At best Gomez takes Backlunds or Stajans spot and posts similar production.

Its time to give the younger guys a chance and let the cards fall where they may. Artificially boosting our roster on paper is not a solution for the future and thats what the Flames have to be looking to right now.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
this season for the flames is gonna be huge we got a completely new system with alot of new players and a different mindset. we have all the vets we need we really dont need another crappy boarderline nhler's and need to see what we have in horak, backlund, cervenka and if tanguay can win a faceoff (it was his natural position but its been like 15 years so we will see)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
IMO, the Flames were poor at developing players in the past for 2 reasons.

1) Our farm system sucked period, it was the laughing stock and the worst in the NHL. It did actually improve under Sutter, but it was way below the standards of the other teams around the league.

2) We never gave our younger players an opportunity to succeed. Sutter's mentality was always to sign another vet to play wing on the 2nd line or whatever. Admittedly, guys like Boyd were not always ready. But players like him were always buried on the 4th line and ruined as a result IMO. If you draft a guy to be a top 6 player, then play him there when you call him up. And spots need to be available so these guys have an opportunity to play on the big club. This process doesn't happen over night, and patience is needed (and will also be needed with Sven). But development of prospects cannot happen if the environment is not there to foster the process properly.

If there is hole on our team seen by management, I'd rather sign Arnott over Gomez. But I am also in the camp in let the young guys play. Our record was better last season with our callups in the lineup than towards the end when guys came back from injury.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Yes. I can't believe how many fans complain we don't play our youth. And then they are on board with signing Gomez.

Gomez. We are already the laughing stock of the nhl. Why would we do this.

I hate this idea so much I'd rather sign Boyd and give HIM a shot.

No no no no no.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why? Because I'm tired of this team doing bandaid fixes by signing over the hill veterans when we could be giving that ice time to younger players.

You think Gomez can come into camp and wow you? I'll save you the trouble - Gomez will never be a first line center in the NHL again. Book it. Quote me on it. His regression has been eye-popping, and there is no way he would outplay Alex Tanguay or outwork Mikael Backlund or Matt Stajan in camp.

This sounds like what people said about Tanguay after Tampa, he looked like **** their he didn't like the system or his role. Hell this is what people said about Tanguay when he was traded. It's not a bandaid fix if he is better than everyone else if he isn't he gets sent to the minors and we don't have to worry about him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
From all accounts Gomez actually sounds like a really good teammate. I just don't think that direction is the one to go for the Flames. We already have one reclamation project in Stajan and that is enough for me.

Over the last 3 seasons Arnott has scored 46, 31 and 34 points. Gomez has scored 59, 38 and 11. Arnott has much better size than Gomez, I also believe he's better on the draw. Again, I would only attempt to do this if management and coaching staff views there's going to be a hole there.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
PS - Langkow retired.

And guys......this is insanity. Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results, remember?

Trust this new coach. I'm sure he will spark some fire in our centers. If not, whatever. I'm almost certain the flames will compete as hard as anyone.

Remember, we were 5 points behind the Stanley cup winner.

When did Langkow announce his retirement?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This sounds like what people said about Tanguay after Tampa, he looked like **** their he didn't like the system or his role. Hell this is what people said about Tanguay when he was traded. It's not a bandaid fix if he is better than everyone else if he isn't he gets sent to the minors and we don't have to worry about him.

Tanguay was a different case because we knew he had past success with Iginla and lo and behold, the two found that again. Gomez has never been to Calgary and has never played with anyone currently on Calgary (I don't know about Tanguay's time in Montreal though) so we can't hook our cart onto that dream. Gomez also went a full 12 months without scoring a goal. And he was playing Brian Gionta and (I think) Tomas Plekanec or Rene Bourque (and Cammalleri before that)! Those are not bad players. But Gomez couldn't get anything going with them. I'm sorry but I have absolutely zero hope that he would come here and suddenly find whatever it was he lost.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Tanguay was a different case because we knew he had past success with Iginla and lo and behold, the two found that again. Gomez has never been to Calgary and has never played with anyone currently on Calgary (I don't know about Tanguay's time in Montreal though) so we can't hook our cart onto that dream. Gomez also went a full 12 months without scoring a goal. And he was playing Brian Gionta and (I think) Tomas Plekanec or Rene Bourque (and Cammalleri before that)! Those are not bad players. But Gomez couldn't get anything going with them. I'm sorry but I have absolutely zero hope that he would come here and suddenly find whatever it was he lost.

I am not arguing about Tanguay being different but that is how must people saw it. Also last season Gomez played the majority with Borque the same guy who sucked here and was on the third line. I am not saying Gomez is going to light the world on fire but we have seen players treated or misused in a system an then they bounce back in a new system. What is the harm in bringing him in and giving him a shot.
A) He finds his game and brings an element we need

B) He sucks and gets sent to the Heat where we desperately need offense as well.

Either way he is helping one of our teams.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I am not arguing about Tanguay being different but that is how must people saw it. Also last season Gomez played the majority with Borque the same guy who sucked here and was on the third line. I am not saying Gomez is going to light the world on fire but we have seen players treated or misused in a system an then they bounce back in a new system. What is the harm in bringing him in and giving him a shot.
A) He finds his game and brings an element we need

B) He sucks and gets sent to the Heat where we desperately need offense as well.

Either way he is helping one of our teams.

I'm so glad you are not the GM. :laugh:

Try:

C) He sucks and gets sent to the Heat and continues to suck taking another spot from a youngster who deserves it.

PASS!!!! End thread please. :laugh:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I think I speak for nobody when I say it's pretty clear that Gomez is an elite, first line center who's capable of 70pts at the age of 33

But seriously, we gave Begin a tryout and he hasn't played hockey since Gomez last scored a goal.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Too many above posts to quote but listen: I can see why you would compare Gomez to Tangs. But Gomez sucked before MTL in NY. He also played with Gionta, Plekanic, Cammy, etc.

Simply put, No. Also no to Arnnot. C'mon guys.....how do we ever expect a group of young players to ever believe they have a shot in this organization if we always replace them with vets. I honestly blame that philosophy on the development of Boyd, Lombardi, Moss, and Backlund to an extent.

I would much rather Reinhart or Wahl even given a chance instead of a vet right now. It sends a different message to our youth that we believe in them.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
You can't develop what isn't there, people need to see that. Boyd was a flop, Nemisz is a flop. How many players from the draft actually make the NHL? So if you want NHL talent, why not get NHL players?

Rocket science?

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
You can't develop what isn't there, people need to see that. Boyd was a flop, Nemisz is a flop. How many players from the draft actually make the NHL? So if you want NHL talent, why not get NHL players?

Rocket science?

So glenX wasn't drafted was he? If so he was on 2 teams who would love to have him but got pushed out by vets who needed to make an impact at that time. Give him a chance, see what happens. Ben street, same thing. He will never see action in PIT because their center depth was the best in the league. Give him a chance in an organization that NEEDS him and he'll put up numbers.

Why is Gomez such a qualified NHL player. Even if he was make'n half his contract in MTL I would take Stagen over him.

DevilsAnimal*

Please do

one less forward spot

one more abbotsford heat <3

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Too many above posts to quote but listen: I can see why you would compare Gomez to Tangs. But Gomez sucked before MTL in NY. He also played with Gionta, Plekanic, Cammy, etc.

Simply put, No. Also no to Arnnot. C'mon guys.....how do we ever expect a group of young players to ever believe they have a shot in this organization if we always replace them with vets. I honestly blame that philosophy on the development of Boyd, Lombardi, Moss, and Backlund to an extent.

I would much rather Reinhart or Wahl even given a chance instead of a vet right now. It sends a different message to our youth that we believe in them.

Gomez didn't suck in NYR he didn't live up to 7 million a season but the guy had 128 points in 158 games thats better than what Richards did last year in NYR are you saying Richards sucks too? Hell in Gomez's first year in MTL he had 59 points in 78 games again not 7 million good but definitely didn't suck unless you think Jokinen sucked last year as he had about the same points as Gomez's first year.

The guy was clearly misused and lost his confidence/game (sounds like JBO under Sutter) The fact that we could get him for so cheap with no negative consequences we should be all over that. Wahl as in ECHL Wahl? Or Reinhart who is just adjusting to Ahl life it doesn't send a message we believe them it is putting them in a bad situtation and potentially ruining their development.

I am not saying sign Gomez to a 7 million a year multi year deal all I am saying is given a shot he could return to top line form and give us a much better team then we currently have and at worst the owners pay him a million bucks to seat in the press box on the Heat.

Trae

Calgary
I have to admit, I have been convinced that this wouldn't be an ideal signing, but for what it's worth...

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74
Per an NHL source, Scott Gomez has had talks with Ducks, Flames and Canes. As @TSNBobMcKenzie tweeted Kings and Blues talking to Redden.
Retweeted by Roger Millions

:dunno:

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
You guys are more upset about the optics of it more than anything else, but let's be honest, it would be good to have him on the cheap to put pressure on the guys already in the lineup. Maybe he can step in and make the team better if someone falters.

Signing Scott Gomez is a low risk move that wouldn't make the team any worse, and greatly helps our depth at center. This move wouldn't necessarily go right, but it can't go wrong. Don't get carried away with this nonsense about giving prospects who aren't ready a shot instead.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have to admit, I have been convinced that this wouldn't be an ideal signing, but for what it's worth...

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74
Per an NHL source, Scott Gomez has had talks with Ducks, Flames and Canes. As @TSNBobMcKenzie tweeted Kings and Blues talking to Redden.
Retweeted by Roger Millions

:dunno:

imager.php

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
If the price is under a million i'd have no problems getting his name stitched in the back of my jersey, if it's over a million.. well, theres a paddling coming for Feaster.

May 27, 2012
Earth
You guys are more upset about the optics of it more than anything else, but let's be honest, it would be good to have him on the cheap to put pressure on the guys already in the lineup. Maybe he can step in and make the team better if someone falters.

Signing Scott Gomez is a low risk move that wouldn't make the team any worse, and greatly helps our depth at center. This move wouldn't necessarily go right, but it can't go wrong. Don't get carried away with this nonsense about giving prospects who aren't ready a shot instead.

Yeah I agree, its a 48 game season. Nothing can go wrong, just this give this guy a chance and feaster and company can decide at the end of season what to do with him.(If they sign him)

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
He was horrible in Montreal and made everyone who played with him look horrible
And he was getting a lot of PP time (Jacques Martin) and was given all the tools to succeed playing with Gionta, Cammalleri, Pacioretty, Cole, nothing worked they all regressed when put with Gomez!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad