Proposal: Sign Scott Gomez

Trae

Calgary
Would anyone be opposed to signing him for 1 year somewhere under a million. A fresh start with a new franchise could do wonders for him and though a bit of a risk, it could be a pretty decent reward. Not bad at face-offs either. The only downside I could see are the jokes HF would make and the humility if it doesn't pan out. But I would be all for it just to try it out.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
On a one year deal I would give him as much as 1.5 million, we have the space and it doesn't hurt us going forward. He would be a low risk high reward signing. But he will most likely since in Van as they need as center as well.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
I can absolutely see the Flames doing this. It may make us the laughing stock of HF, but given our center depth/draw ability I don't see why not. As long as we don't sign him for $7m per we should be ok.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Oh when was this?

I don't think we really have room for him byways assuming Hudler and Cervenka return.

Like just today.

It's not like we need to make room, there's always going to be injuries and if we luck out and there's no injuries we just play the best players. Makes the team better.

HF backlash against against Calgary will be brutal if we sign him, but I'm sure a ton of teams in the league are going to show interest for the right price.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
No never nothing to do with redden or gomez dont take playing time away from horak, backlund, cervenka, or anyother players they dont deserve it and i'd rather not pick up other teams trash

i'd rather sign langkow he can actually get points

Trae

Calgary
we just play the best players.

Exactly, if he outplays Backlund, Tanguay or Cervenka, then he earned it. Competition for spots is only healthy. Plus all those player can play well at wing. If he doesn't amount to anything there really isn't much harm done other than having an extra contract.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
Exactly, if he outplays Backlund, Tanguay or Cervenka, then he earned it. Competition for spots is only healthy. Plus all those player can play well at wing. If he doesn't amount to anything there really isn't much harm done other than having an extra contract.

gomez sucks we shouldnt even consider this

i would rather trade for Lombardi, sign langkow, or role with what we got

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

No, we did this under the dutter system and had old vets come here and take spots away from the kids needing development. Anytime u bring in a vet its never about out playing because the gm will feel obligateded to play them to justify the signing.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
no, we did this under the dutter system and had old vets come here and take spots away from the kids needing development. Anytime u bring in a vet its never about out playing because the gm will feel obligateded to play them to justify the signing.

this

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
First I don't care what people on HFBoards thinks. Second, who besides Horak, maybe Byron is coming through the system at risk of being held back by Gomez? Both of which clearly need another year in the AHL. And finally, what are our free options with a ceiling like Gomez? Even if there was another option, a tryout couldn't hurt.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The real joke is our centre depth and the fact that exploring this is a reality. But we should play the cards we were delt and give him a tryout and see if he takes his new opportunity and runs with it. How many former 70pt centremen are on the market that won't cost you a first rounder?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
gomez sucks we shouldnt even consider this

i would rather trade for Lombardi, sign langkow, or role with what we got

He sucked last year but his main attributes are faceoffs, penalty killing, power play, and passing.He played a majority of the year on the 4th line which he is useless at since most 4th liners can't even hit the net. Gomez was a really good pp player over the last year and a half we have seen that dry up but given that we have a offensive coach it could be a good idea as we all know that Iginla has been an extremely hard person to find chemistry with, it would be worth a million if not 2 just to see if they can work together because if they can we might have one of the dangerous offenses in the league if not big deal send him to the minors/ trade for a late pick.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I can see why fans would like or hate this.

I say no. Give stagan, tangs, backs, Cervanka, Horak, street, jones, Cammy, and Hudler a chance to play center for us.

Not Gomez. You do realize it wasn't just his contract that sucked. Seriously. He had great line mates too. So no.

Yes it's a possibility but no.

We cannot afford the 'try outs' as far as time and contract limit goes. We need 2 spots open for trades and waivers. Can't go into a 48 game season maxed out on contracts to a bunch of never-will-be's (begin, Winchester, Gomez, etc)

Would much rather waste contract space on Brust or Taylor.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
PS - Langkow retired.

And guys......this is insanity. Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results, remember?

Trust this new coach. I'm sure he will spark some fire in our centers. If not, whatever. I'm almost certain the flames will compete as hard as anyone.

Remember, we were 5 points behind the Stanley cup winner.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
First I don't care what people on HFBoards thinks. Second, who besides Horak, maybe Byron is coming through the system at risk of being held back by Gomez? Both of which clearly need another year in the AHL. And finally, what are our free options with a ceiling like Gomez? Even if there was another option, a tryout couldn't hurt.

Well if you bring in Gomez, you obviously want him in the top six to start. So basically you push Backlund back down to the 3 prob 4 line since we use BJ on the 3rd, he loses confidence again and the cycle goes on and we dump him after this year. Other players that right now fighting for spots that I would like to see get a chance at them.

Bouma, AA, BJ, Byron I would like to see have an opportunity as well not including Winchester in camp right now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No, we did this under the dutter system and had old vets come here and take spots away from the kids needing development. Anytime u bring in a vet its never about out playing because the gm will feel obligated to play them to justify the signing.

This sums it up pretty well.

Pass on Gomez. A big pass on Redden; the guys just not NHL calibre anymore.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Too much mid-tier talent already in the organization; do not want, do not need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->