Sign Gostisbehere Long Term?

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
holy crap that was painful to read at times.

I'd like to see him sure up his play on his side of the red line a bit, even at the expense of some points the other way. Should help when the team is actually healthy/not suspended back there though.

Dakota402

Jul 12, 2011
Philadelphia
Didn't know where to post this, but what's up with Ghost? Doesn't look quite as fast as he did last season. Is he injured? Did he put on weight? Or am i imagining this?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Didn't know where to post this, but what's up with Ghost? Doesn't look quite as fast as he did last season. Is he injured? Did he put on weight? Or am i imagining this?

I just said something about this in the post-game thread too. He had surgery on his hip in the offseason, and he added some muscle as well. Personally I think he is adjusting to one or both of these things, because I think his mobility (especially on defense) has been somewhat compromised. We have to be careful picking apart his game, because he is still just a second-year guy AND he has been playing with garbage bag partners most of the time, but I feel like there is some problem there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The times you think he looks slower than usual could just be that he's at the end of a long shift. Pay attention to how long he's been out on the ice, especially when stuck with a partner like Schultz who doesn't exactly help keep shifts short.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His long speed hasn't been great since he blew out his knee and added the weight to get to 180. I think I know what could help, but I'm not one to tell a pro how to skate. He's got one of the best first steps in the league and that is why he is so effective. That and he moves just as well backwards as he does forwards. In short areas he's one of the best skaters in the league.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can someone please explain to me why the extremely effective MDZ-Ghost pairing was split up and Ghost was saddled with a Schultz that has barely played this season?

WHERE IS THE GOD DAMN LOGIC IN THAT?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Can someone please explain to me why the extremely effective MDZ-Ghost pairing was split up and Ghost was saddled with a Schultz that has barely played this season?

WHERE IS THE GOD DAMN LOGIC IN THAT?

There is none. After a tight low scoring game too yet. Hakstol clearly panicked for some reason and wanted to have a stacked "top pair." Funny enough, the MDZ-Gudas pairing was pretty bad. Then Schultz-Ghost were bad. It did nothing but make the defensive pairs worse on paper and in actuality. Gudas and MDZ need to be split. I'd love to see Provorov with Gudas just once. Apparently Provorov can only play with Manning and Streit.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I didn't notice that at the time, and I have no idea why Ghost did that. Pretty rudimentary stuff not using 2 hands on the stick in a foot race. Hmm.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn't notice that at the time, and I have no idea why Ghost did that. Pretty rudimentary stuff not using 2 hands on the stick in a foot race. Hmm.

The only times I have ever skated like that was when nursing an injury. Maybe he is a bit dinged up somewhere in the lower body?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Sometimes the guy he's trying to chase is already at full speed and he has to turn around. He looks slow then too, but its just a timing thing.

Bottom line is most of the time he looks just as fast as he normally is, yes sometimes he gets out raced, but nobody said Ghost was the fastest skater in the NHL either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe now when his 5 on 5 scoring numbers are unsustainably low is a good time to do the extension.

Would Ghost say no to 6 years at $4.5m?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe now when his 5 on 5 scoring numbers are unsustainably low is a good time to do the extension.

Would Ghost say no to 6 years at $4.5m?

After already suffering a major knee injury, I think he could want some long term stability.

demarco46

Orange & Black
Sep 12, 2009
If we get to sign him at 6 yr x 4.5M. for a top 4, potentially top 2 d. Take that and RUN

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The future of the salary cap is unclear. Ghost should be able to produce lots of points once the team is ready to contend.

Under those circumstances I don't think he would agree to 6 x 4.5. Everything is pointing towards some sort of bridge deal. Maybe 3 years at increasing salary and a total value between 13.5 to 15M. Just my best guess.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Not entirely related to the contract, although I think now would be a good time to offer him something while his production is down, but I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with his shooting. His wrist shot seems about where it was last year but the slap shot is nothing like we've seen in previous seasons. I remember last year he had some serious problems with broken sticks and was shuffling through some sticks. I don't recall him breaking a single stick this year - could it be that he's using too stiff of a stick where he's just not getting the same snap behind the puck that he used to? That may be a stretch but I can't figure out what's wrong with his slap shot for the life of me. As good as the power play has been, I can't image how strong that first unit would be if his shot were anywhere near the weapon it was last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad