Post-Game Talk: Sigh

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ah okay. Put my point was that Nuge was positionally playing LW, practically speaking, on that play and seemed right at home. It's one play, but I've wanted to see that for SOOOO long now. I'd love to see Nuge with McD for 10 games. If it fails spectacularly then at least we know (or more importantly, I know, because I'm so very important :sarcasm:). Season is done anyway. The only goal should be to develop a few kids and get McDavid to 100 points again, just because and stuff.

Wouldn't mind the experiment either, but I feel like one detriment is that Nuge brings a good defensive centre game to the table so you'd be taking that away from him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wow, nice. Go, Bear, go!!!

Did he get off any of his huge slappers?

In the final 2 minutes when we were trying to tie it up he had this real nice fake slapper that made the d man go down to block, then he shifted the right and laid a huge slapper that NYR goalie stopped with his pad. The slapper had velocity and it was labeled. And Bear showed ability to get it pass the shot block. Honestly, it was probably the best show of blue line shooting ability I've seen on this team which says a lot about our blue line.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Wow, nice. Go, Bear, go!!!

Did he let any of his huge slappers go?
He was credited with 1 shot on net but I swear I he let 2 go. One I think was in the 3rd, Drai fed it to him and he let a hard low one go creating a scramble down low, they recovered the puck and were looking for him again which is a promising sign. He could've let one rip on the PP but instead he faked it, dished it off to Nuge who had an excellent opportunity to get his 2nd of the night.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Wouldn't mind the experiment either, but I feel like one detriment is that Nuge brings a good defensive centre game to the table so you'd be taking that away from him.

That's true, but since this season is done, why not? Also, having all 3 of McD, Drai and Nuge down the middle is probably too much money. I wonder if we have the highest salary allocated towards center in the league. It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless you have no good wingers, and that's a big part of this year's failure, I'd say. Not as big as a tattered/injured/useless D-corps and Talbot checking out, but still pretty important.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Don't get too excited.. as soon as Larsson is back, Bear most likely scratched. Though I wholeheartedly agree he already should be pushing past Benning, coaches won't allow it.

#TMacThings

Next year is fine for Bear. Or even the one after that. If he can work on getting experience and his defensive positioning it'll be all the better for his career.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
In the final 2 minutes when we were trying to tie it up he had this real nice fake slapper that made the d man go down to block, then he shifted the right and laid a huge slapper that NYR goalie stopped with his pad. The slapper had velocity and it was labeled. And Bear showed ability to get it pass the shot block. Honestly, it was probably the best show of blue line shooting ability I've seen on this team which says a lot about our blue line.

Damn, I wish I could've seen that. The kid is a gamer, IMO. I think he has all the tools. He's not big, but that's becoming less important in a game that is becoming just more about speed and skill. That, and we need a true offensive Dman badly, and I'm just praying he can do that. He's smart and can be pretty crafty -- especially on the point. He shows good potential as perhaps a PP QB eventually, but slow and steady for now.

He was credited with 1 shot on net but I swear I he let 2 go. One I think was in the 3rd, Drai fed it to him and he let a hard low one go creating a scramble down low, they recovered the puck and were looking for him again which is a promising sign. He could've let one rip on the PP but instead he faked it, dished it off to Nuge who had an excellent opportunity to get his 2nd of the night.

He has very good vision, so doesn't surprise me. Too bad it didn't quite work out; I would've been stoked to hear that Bear made the play to tie up the game.

Two if I recall, accurate, low shots, good rebounds. He's patient while looking for a lane and does it well with good IQ (unlike half our d corps..).

He's got a bomb.

Yep, good patience and crafty on the point, and is good at getting shots through -- better than probably any of our other NHL Dmen from what I've seen of him (which is't a ton, but still).

And he does indeed have a bomb. Hoping he'll maybe get a look on the PP later in the season if he shows he can compete already in this league. Kid is only what, 20? Tons of potential. Kid has the tools and (maybe most important) the hockey IQ.

EDIT: Appreciate the replies on Bear guys. I'm really big on the kid, so it's good to not only get good info, but to know he did pretty well out there.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Damn, I wish I could've seen that. The kid is a gamer, IMO. I think he has all the tools. He's not big, but that's becoming less important in a game that is becoming just more about speed and skill. That, and we need a true offensive Dman badly, and I'm just praying he can do that. He's smart and can be pretty crafty -- especially on the point. He shows good potential as perhaps a PP QB eventually, but slow and steady for now.

He has very good vision, so doesn't surprise me. Too bad it didn't quite work out; I would've been stoked to hear that Bear made the play to tie up the game.

Yep, good patience and crafty on the point, and is good at getting shots through -- better than probably any of our other NHL Dmen, from what I've seen of him (which is't a ton, but still).

And he does indeed have a bomb. Hoping he'll maybe get a look on the PP later in the season if he shows he can compete already in this league. Kid is only what, 20? Tons of potential. Kid has the tools and (maybe most important) the hockey IQ.

EDIT: Appreciate the replies on Bear guys. I'm really big on the kid, so it's good to not only get good info, but to know he did pretty well out there.

Agree on everything said. Albeit, small sample size but he's showing more promise and potential than Klefbom has showed through his entire development through the years (minus last year). Just my take though given the sample size. He wasn't named WHL defensemen of the year for nothing, look at the past names on that list.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
What a joke. Lucic getting rewarded for failure while other guys get punished for success. This is unhealthy. Coaches are sending the wrong message, we're not gonna reward hard work here, so don't bother trying. That last couple minutes was a total farce. We're gonna need McDavid to play 30 minutes a night next year to have a remote chance at the playoffs. Talbot looking like trash as well. Lucic has to be the worst contract in the league right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What a joke. Lucic getting rewarded for failure while other guys get punished for success. This is unhealthy. Coaches are sending the wrong message, we're not gonna reward hard work here, so don't bother trying. That last couple minutes was a total farce. We're gonna need McDavid to play 30 minutes a night next year to have a remote chance at the playoffs. Talbot looking like trash as well. Lucic has to be the worst contract in the league right now.

Watch McDavid get blamed for not doing enough next year because he can't play all 60 minutes.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Mclellan is a bad coach. The announcers were saying how Lucic is still on McDavids line because t Mac wants to get him going. Where was this treatment for Puljujarvi? Hell for anyone else?

The mentality of sticking a third line vet with the top offensive player in the world makes me sick to my stomach when you literally have younger guys rotting away.

Seasons over bud. Get over your mcdavid-lucic/camalleri/khaira love fest you fat koala looking f***.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Mclellan is a bad coach. The announcers were saying how Lucic is still on McDavids line because t Mac wants to get him going. Where was this treatment for Puljujarvi? Hell for anyone else?

The mentality of sticking a third line vet with the top offensive player in the world makes me sick to my stomach when you literally have younger guys rotting away.

Seasons over bud. Get over your mcdavid-lucic/camalleri/khaira love fest you fat koala looking ****.
Don't get it at all. Can you just imagime the room, these playerss know what's going on, of course they must be confused, they are getting mixed signals. What message is this coach force feeding them? Juat because someone makes $6million doesn't mean he should be given special treatment. He can't even skate, shoot, pass. Really feel for the team.

Reactions: RegDunlop

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I skipped this one in preference of going to play tennis on a sunny day in Tokyo. Good decision.

Positives:
- McDavid 15 goals in the last 16 games.
- McDavid tied for 2nd in scoring (still six back of Kucherov, though)
- McDavid has 79 points total, but only 15 of those (19%) are on the power-play. He's easily #1 in the NHL in non-PP points. [For comparison, 37% of Kucherov's points come on Tampa's awesome power-play.]
- McDavid on pace for 100 points
- McDavid in on 43.2% of the team's goals.

Negatives:
- Every coach, manager, and player who is not McDavid

Reactions: Mez

Cantor2537

Feb 24, 2016
I skipped this one in preference of going to play tennis on a sunny day in Tokyo. Good decision.

Positives:
- McDavid 15 goals in the last 16 games.
- McDavid tied for 2nd in scoring (still six back of Kucherov, though)
- McDavid has 79 points total, but only 15 of those (19%) are on the power-play. He's easily #1 in the NHL in non-PP points. [For comparison, 37% of Kucherov's points come on Tampa's awesome power-play.]
- McDavid on pace for 100 points
- McDavid in on 43.2% of the team's goals.

Negatives:
- Every coach, manager, and player who is not McDavid

Yay McDavid is producing in garbage games! Against a goalie who just got his first NHL win, I might add. Let’s plan the parade for McCash.

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Another loss, but I’m not surprised or care much anymore either. Looking forward to some playoff hockey, go Jets go.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I suspect TMac did tell Lucic he was going to bench him, but then this happened and Mclellan wet himself.

tenor.gif

As an aside, I missed Nicholson's interview...apparently he hinted at the management team staying for another season but was there any mention or hint about the frauds behind the bench surviving the post season?

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I suspect TMac did tell Lucic he was going to bench him, but then this happened and Mclellan wet himself.

tenor.gif

As an aside, I missed Nicholson's interview...apparently he hinted at the management team staying for another season but was there any mention or hint about the frauds behind the bench surviving the post season?

Well, as another aside, Bob Nicholson always sounds a lot like Neville Chamberlain.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
told his board when Shestyorkin comes to the Rangers. ...get on Georgiev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad