Post-Game Talk: Sigh

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yay McDavid is producing in garbage games! Against a goalie who just got his first NHL win, I might add. Let’s plan the parade for McCash.
McDavid did the same thing last year. He was roughly point per game or below to start the season and he ramps up as the season goes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Really want McDavid it win the scoring race, only thing left to cheer for. But he constantly has a guy checking him that plays on his line.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
So frustrating this team is never ready for puck drop. Took them until the 3rd to start peppering a rookie back up. Talbot weak again, no doubt our defence is nothing to write home about but Talbot is stinking up the joint this year.

On a positive note, extremely encouraging what we're seeing from Bear. I'll admit, I didn't think he would be able to translate his game to the NHL so seamlessly (didn't think he possessed the mobility required out of offensive dmen to succeed in NHL), boy am I glad I was wrong. Too many people are handcuffed by the +/- (a stat that doesn't truly illustrate an individuals on ice performance; from my viewing he's earned only 1 out the -4 to his name) to see the much needed dimension he adds to our d corp. Our 2nd Unit pp actually looked so much better because of his ability to open/get shots through shooting lanes and distribute pucks around.

I agree with @booyakasha though he looked really good with Nurse when they were on the ice together, I think when Larsson gets back the pairings should be:
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Russell/Sekera/Benning/OV2
Jones looked good today with a goal and assist in Bakersfield after coming back from a groin injury so it looks like we have another excellent late round pick on the way soon as well.
I like this line. 4th line. Just add McDavid to the these 4 d.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
It's like Lucic is Roman Reigns, and Tood Mclellan is Vince Mcmahon, he just keeps shoving Roman Reigns down our throats, and we hate him because of it.

Reactions: frag2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In the final 2 minutes when we were trying to tie it up he had this real nice fake slapper that made the d man go down to block, then he shifted the right and laid a huge slapper that NYR goalie stopped with his pad. The slapper had velocity and it was labeled. And Bear showed ability to get it pass the shot block. Honestly, it was probably the best show of blue line shooting ability I've seen on this team which says a lot about our blue line.
I don't think he was on during the final 5 mins. I looked in the final two of the 2nd and couldn't find it either, would be interesting too see. Bear should be a natural on the PP, he is more adapt to that role than our other D and has a great shot. I'd keep him up from here on in to see how it goes.

Agree on everything said. Albeit, small sample size but he's showing more promise and potential than Klefbom has showed through his entire development through the years (minus last year). Just my take though given the sample size. He wasn't named WHL defensemen of the year for nothing, look at the past names on that list.

I'd take it easy on this route, too high expectations could lead to disappointment. Offensively yes, but in general Klefbom was damn good prospect, Klefbom played in thd SHL at the age of 17 and by 19 before getting injured he was easily amongst the best defensemen in the league.

Anyhow, I have like Bear a lot, and hope to see
Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Bear
Sekera Russell
for a while during the rest of the season. Klef/Bear looked better than any pair that Klefbom has played all year. Extreme small sample size but if the chemistry is there then they should roll with it (for the benefit of both)

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
That was a pretty boring game to go to with no real flow. So many damn whistles, icings, sloppy hockey in general.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Don't get it at all. Can you just imagime the room, these playerss know what's going on, of course they must be confused, they are getting mixed signals. What message is this coach force feeding them? Juat because someone makes $6million doesn't mean he should be given special treatment. He can't even skate, shoot, pass. Really feel for the team.

This is the garbage that is fed all the time. Nicholson comes out and says 'they need to do it right'. And ensure 'the right culture is in the room'? Wasn't this all done?

What kind of culture are you creating / allowing by playing Lucic consistently with McDavid? He is struggling so bad that every chance, shift, period, game that he goes without scoring makes it worse on his mental state. Is management that far out of touch they can't realize this? Yes put him with Conner for a while to try to get him out of it, but when it's obvious that it's not working, you need to try something else. For the teams sake as well as the players.

You have a prospect in his third year that is starting to fall behind in development that desperately needs that ice time. Now is the perfect time to give JP that opportunity. Let him be creative or let him fail with the mistakes he will make then hopefully learn from them. We have NOTHING to lose right now.

We also have a prospect we just acquired in Aborg that can fly and looks like he loves to shoot the puck. Why is a 35 year old Mike C playing above these players at this point?

I could go on and on but this clown show management talks about ensuring the right culture? The players will sort out the culture and as other posters noted - they know WTF is going on - management needs to create a WINNING ATMOSPHERE WHERE COMPETITION IS PARAMOUNT. Not political BS where trades and ice time are dictated by poor contract negotiations and bad decisions.

Reactions: Zguy370 and PGW

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Also wanted to note for this game, we got beat by a team that -
A) played the night before
B) just went through an emotional time with players and friends in / players and friends out
C) traded away top talent
D) have 4 defencemen with <70 NHL games exp
E) a back up goalie with 2 NHL games exp

We were outskated most of the night except for periods when Conner decided to dominate.

Not only that but what kind of coach has forward and defence lines with guys that all shoot the same way???!!! Never seen or heard of that before.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
And...
My last rant

I can't remember seeing Kassian on the ice after taking that boarding penalty. Am I wrong?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just watched the highlights as I'm not wasting hours of my life on this team anymore.

So predictable

1st goal against: 1st minute of the game (lol); Had puck possession, failed zone exit with Lucic missing the pass, again, because he's flat footed and ends up looking like a pylon. Despite throwing away the puck, Russell can't find it in him to cover his man resulting in the goal.

2nd goal against: Russell gets caught trying to play goaltender, again, instead of playing defenseman so his man is wide open for the shot. Also a bad goal for Talbot to let in.

3rd goal against: Had puck possession, Klefbom fails to not give it away to a Ranger in our own end with no actual pressure put on him. Another bad goal let in by Talbot.

I don't know who Georgiev is but appears to just be another backup goaltender I haven't heard of that's better than our starter.

And no offensive highlight that doesn't feature McDavid.

Predictable as it gets.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'd say that, at the very least, Bear's minuscule PP time has shown me he is at least calmer than Klefbom and esp Sekera when handling the puck.
Don’t think I’ve seen an oiler D man fake a slapper and step around a block to get a shot off like bear did, in a couple years

Reactions: frag2

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Doug Maclean placed the blame for the too many men call squarely where it belonged: coaches.

I'm sure all the players were shocked that he didn't pull the goalie already. Didn't be pull it a few games back while our 4th line was out? Just a big ball of stupidity and confusion on that bench. Maybe they were all stunned too by those terrible Lucic plays to kill the first minute of the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad