TSN: Siegel: Leafs stand to benefit from new CBA

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Link: http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=412953

Brian Burke could become a very busy man in the days that lie ahead before training camp.

While the new labour agreement, tying players and owners together for at least eight more years, has yet to be ratified, its impending implementation could – could in the strongest sense of the word with so many details as yet unknown – stand to benefit Burke and the Leafs.

...Read more in the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I've been saying it for a while but next season does look to have so much potential for us.

This season will be about moving out the mid-range salaried players like Connolly, Lombardi, Cmac and fill some of those holes with cheap young kids and have lots of money for a couple high salary guys.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
meh, i'd normally be excited but judging by burke's signings, they'll probably be disasters, no matter if we have more cap space and more choices

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When The CBA is ironed out, Leafs are positioned well, we will see how this plays out, but next year we have a whole lot of cap space. If we deal Grabo and choose not to resign Kessel and Lupul, and not do anything silly like trading for Luongo and tying up more resources, things get interesting with the UFA market next season. As I always thought this has been a good throwaway year for the Leafs, and we did not have to suffer through 3 months of losing hockey. Now the next step is to nail down Drouin, Mackinnon and hopefully the biggest prize Jones this draft. maybe we will see a Leafs parade on Bay st one day, who knows?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks Burke planned this? He knew the CBA was going to be expiring and you get bet your bottom dollar he had a pretty good idea of what the owners were going to want coming out of the CBA. He prepared this team for the backlash of yet another CBA and now instead of being one of those teams that will fail to benefit from the new CBA like last lock-out.. The Leafs are more then likely going to gain from this CBA and Burke looks that much smarter.

JMcLeaf

When The CBA is ironed out, Leafs are positioned well, we will see how this plays out, but next year we have a whole lot of cap space. If we deal Grabo and choose not to resign Kessel and Lupul, and not do anything silly like trading for Luongo and tying up more resources, things get interesting with the UFA market next season. As I always thought this has been a good throwaway year for the Leafs, and we did not have to suffer through 3 months of losing hockey. Now the next step is to nail down Drouin, Mackinnon and hopefully the biggest prize Jones this draft. maybe we will see a Leafs parade on Bay st one day, who knows?

what? :help:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks Burke planned this? He knew the CBA was going to be expiring and you get bet your bottom dollar he had a pretty good idea of what the owners were going to want coming out of the CBA. He prepared this team for the backlash of yet another CBA and now instead of being one of those teams that will fail to benefit from the new CBA like last lock-out.. The Leafs are more then likely going to gain from this CBA and Burke looks that much smarter.

Burke and Nonis are to be commended for fiscal prudence, they said many times if a signing made sense, they foresaw this, and we may be the better for it. Still I don't like one signing, The Grabo one. With the new CBA, this contract may be tougher to unload. 5.5 on a 64M cap, is a lot of moolah for a borderline not ideal #2C on a team that wants to have a parade.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Burke and Nonis are to be commended for fiscal prudence, they said many times if a signing made sense, they foresaw this, and we may be the better for it. Still I don't like one signing, The Grabo one. With the new CBA, this contract may be tougher to unload. 5.5 on a 64M cap, is a lot of moolah for a borderline not ideal #2C on a team that wants to have a parade.

It's not that bad considering Komisarek is making 4.5 million.. Or a guy like Briere / Lecavalier. If we amnesty Komisarek, Grabovski will be our worst contract next year and that's a pretty good position, IMO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Lupul is as good as gone after this season or the deadline, I don't see him being an asset we can keep at the price he is going to demand, not with Grabo making 5.5M, think Kessel and Lupul want more? You betcha and with their value to the Leafs is more than Grabo so Leafs are in a pickle.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm gonna guess when he signed him, unloading him wasn't the plan

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's not that bad considering Komisarek is making 4.5 million.. Or a guy like Briere / Lecavalier. If we amnesty Komisarek, Grabovski will be our worst contract next year and that's a pretty good position, IMO.

Look below, it opened up a can of worms when the cap goes down to 64M.

JMcLeaf

Lupul is as good as gone after this season or the deadline, I don't see him being an asset we can keep at the price he is going to demand, not with Grabo making 5.5M, think Kessel and Lupul want more? You betcha and with their value to the Leafs is more than Grabo so Leafs are in a pickle.

What's wrong with giving them more than 5.5M? If they keep up their play from last season, or even improve on it, then they deserve it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm gonna guess when he signed him, unloading him wasn't the plan

I disagree, losing him for nothing or surmising he can get value for him was, perhaps at this years deadline. We will see, but I wouldn't be shocked if Burke gets something done, this is the guy that traded Lebda, And Kaberle with a NTC. Nothing is impossible when Burke is involved.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What's wrong with giving them more than 5.5M? If they keep up their play from last season, or even improve on it, then they deserve it.

Is he worth 5.5M for his level of play? There are only so many dollars to go around with a 64M cap, getting better players for less dollars are the teams that win.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Is he worth 5.5M for his level of play? There are only so many dollars to go around with a 64M cap, getting better players for less dollars are the teams that win.

You're dead set on the cap being 64 million. It'll rise again.. Not only that but like I was saying in comparison to other teams having only Grabovski as one bad contract (which isn't even that bad, your hatred for him is well documented on this site).. Isn't that bad of situation for the Leafs in terms of cap. Not only that but the Leafs could quickly flip him for some one who has a bigger contract that another team can't handle. (Stastny comes to mind)

JMcLeaf

I'm not talking about Grabo.

Kessel and Lupul are the type of guys our money from that 64M should be going to. The chances of finding players better than them in free agency is extremely slim and they would likely cost us more than Kessel and Lupul. If we just let them walk for nothing, do you realize how horrible our roster will be?

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
All of the Leafs **** players are UFA's at seasons end, and with 2 buyouts Komisarek is out too.

The Leafs will have tons of cap space to get better this offeseason.

Just hold tight for this season. The next one will be a good one.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I disagree, losing him for nothing or surmising he can get value for him was, perhaps at this years deadline. We will see, but I wouldn't be shocked if Burke gets something done, this is the guy that traded Lebda, And Kaberle with a NTC. Nothing is impossible when Burke is involved.
So why not trade him before he hits FA to a contender? Why wait until you sign him for what you believe is a very difficult contract to move? Don't make much sense now does it?

I think there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people in this room come September.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
An advantage is only an advantage if you put it to use.

The Leafs haven't really wielded their financial might under the cap system(or, for that matter, all that much in relative terms before the cap system). Maybe they will now, we'll see.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm not talking about Grabo.

Kessel and Lupul are the type of guys our money from that 64M should be going to. The chances of finding players better than them in free agency is extremely slim and they would likely cost us more than Kessel and Lupul. If we just let them walk for nothing, do you realize how horrible our roster will be?

I'm ready for anything, I wouldn't be surprised if Burke goes Alex A on us as he did for the Jays. Don't be surprised if the season may be more interesting on player moves than the asterisk cup. We are moving into an exciting time of player moves and contracts.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So why not trade him before he hits FA to a contender? Why wait until you sign him for what you believe is a very difficult contract to move? Don't make much sense now does it?

I think there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people in this room come September.

Obviously the same reason why Burke didn't trade Kaberle to SJ at the draft, he calculated he could get more at the deadline, and he did with Boston.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
It's funny looking back how many people got mad at Burke for not going psycho in free agency and giving ridiculous contracts with high cap hits and insane amounts of money spent with back-diving. He deserves a lot of credit for this because he repeatedly said how the new CBA would change this and he was right. He played this out pretty well. Looking forward to this off-season

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto

Grabo is a "borderline not ideal #2C?"

Really? Are you complaining just to complain?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad