News Article: Siegel: Kessel Shoulders Burden Of Blame For Leafs Collapse

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
You guys rag kessel so hard, but it would probably behoove all of you to go read up on pavel datsyuk. He was never considered a defensive player, until the age of 25-26, he was just a quiet offensive player. Since then he's developed into one of, if not the most, respected player in the league. Kessel might not be a 200ft beast, but I can all but guarantee he will be one of the most respected players in the league in a couple more years.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
He's either the last or 2nd last person you should blame for this collapse (Bernier up there, depending on how highly you think of him). It's sad when a guy with Kessel's shyness and reputation goes out and falls on the sword to claim responsibility, while craptain Phaneuf (and even our A's Lupul and McClement) take zero responsibility.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
He's either the last or 2nd last person you should blame for this collapse (Bernier up there, depending on how highly you think of him). It's sad when a guy with Kessel's shyness and reputation goes out and falls on the sword to claim responsibility, while craptain Phaneuf (and even our A's Lupul and McClement) take zero responsibility.

Well put. The fact that he did tells you something about his character but even his leadership on this team (and that of the actual group). The guy has 80 points this season, he did his job. Back checking or not.

Bozak was the first teammate to speak in defense of Reimer's wife, not the C or the As.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Players not responsible for collapse:

Top Line
Bernier

Everyone else was pretty much balls.

Well, to be fair, the entire team should be held accountable for the collapse. It's just that those 4 have more of an excuse given how they got us up to that point in the first place. Not saying Kessel is the reason we fell apart, but he wasn't on fire either. I personally can't hold them completely blameless, but they certainly aren't the biggest reason why we sucked. Props to Kessel doing something Dion and the As should've done. Pathetic on their part tbh.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Kessel doesn't play like Messier, but you can tell he cares. That's why he was chirping JVR and Phaneuf during the games. He wants to win. He didn't sign Clarkson and make Phaneuf terrible defensively.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
He just had way too many costly turnovers down the stretch. He does a lot for the team, but we need even more if were every going to get over the hump with him as the focal point.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Everything but the last sentence is almost word for word what the columnist wrote.... not sure if you knew this or not?

Your last sentence about Lupul and McClement.... McClement is being paid like a very good 4th liner. He's one of the few guys who hustles every shift. He is one of the very last people who should shoulder the blame.

Clarkson, Phaneuf, Reimer, Lupul, Kulemin, Kadri - All had mediocre, uninspired seasons.

Kadri barely thew a hit all season long, with his lack of inspired play, I bet grapes wishes he didn't give him that kiss.

Clarkson - terrible in every facet.

Phaneuf - 3rd pairing guy, very acceptable season. Captain, paid like a star 1st pairing defenseman... DISASTER.

Kulemin - 4 years ago Kulemin was all over the place, he's already lost a big step.

Reimer - he was ok, but he let some very deflating goals in, reminds me of Raycroft. He'd make the odd spectacular save, but then a deflating weak goal. He was held out to dry at times, but it's no excuse for him to not to be making the easy saves. The pressure got to him.

Lupul - Again, he wasn't as good as we've seen him. Then again, maybe his knee is what hindered him. He did play with Kadri and Clarkson for a lot of the season, and had a pretty productive season despite playing with one black hole, and potentially playing with a knee injury. I'll withhold judgement.

Lets be serious though... when you look at the money that's being spent on Lupul, Clarkson, Kulemin, Kadri, Reimer, Phaneuf, and compare that to they the level of their play.... WE DO NOT BELONG TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS. These guys have looked like fools at times Vs players paid similar amounts of money.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He just had way too many costly turnovers down the stretch. He does a lot for the team, but we need even more if were every going to get over the hump with him as the focal point.

As a highly offensive player he is allowed to have more turnovers then other type of players. But a lot of them came from him trying to get rid of the puck to quickly. This is something I think he can get better at considering that when he first got here he could hardly pass the puck, or more he never wanted to pass the puck. All he did then was his stupid toe drag move then a quick shot towards the goal from far out. Even so he scored plenty considering he have a very good shot. But then he developed a better passing game, some even called him a playmaker but to be a good playmaker he needs to control the tempo of the game when he have the puck. To often he tries to speed it up when slowing down could be a better option. But as I said, he have taken a step forward in his offensive development ever since he came here so I think he will fix that as well.

But what he should focus on is getting better defensively. He dont have to nail ppl towards the boards to be effective. He can back check and lift their sticks, steal the puck, get in to the passing lanes etc. Not physical stuff and something a player with his set of skills and speed is more then capable of.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Players not responsible for collapse:

Top Line
Bernier

Everyone else was pretty much balls.
I totally agree. Perhaps, he made way too many mistakes down the stretch and turned the puck over. But, he didn't build this team. His support is abysmal.

The rest of the team has been worse, defensively. Their D is a joke. There are some bright spots with Reilly and maybe Gardiner but as a whole, they cannot play team defence. They collapse down low too much and are way too often out of position - they cannot cover the opposition. Not sure if they refuse to shot block but way too often, they cannot check the opposing forwards. They give up the points and there's no pressure on the opposing team's pointmen - their defence has way too much time to set up plays.

How many off-man rushes and breakaways do the Leafs give up? It must be up there among the worst in the League. Their 36 shot total against (average) is terrible. Their puck possession is also bad. Other teams keep them hemmed up in their zone for way longer than the other way around. You can't blame all that on Kessel. He's not a magician.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I respect him for being honest and frustrated and not accepting what they've done. In stark contrast to the "captain".

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He aint captain material. Carl Gunnarsson would make a way better captain than Kessel.

I am not so sure about that, he is really breaking out of his shell lately. He has been 1000x more engaged in things this year, maybe he is just growing into a confident young man?

mikebel111*

Great job by kessel. Taking the entire blame. Dion u paying attention.
As others pointed out, he is a better leader than dion.
Great job phil!

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This team has no emotion, and that includes Carlyle. The fact our captain has become non-existent is very troubling. Someone pull out the highlight reel of why we fell in love with him and show him it quick.

Kessel is probably the only player on this whole team that gives a crap anymore. That is a show that the coach and leaders have lost the team

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
i dont blame Kessel for anything, we all know he's streaky. Our first line, powered by Kessel, is the only reason we were even close to the playoffs anyways.

The problem is and has been everyone else. I would feel like a complete loser if i was a teammate of Kessel who got carried by him all year and did nothing, then comes out and blames himself to the media.

I know i for one wont look back at this collapse and pinpoint it on Kessel ever. This team just sucks. From management down to the players the Leafs just arent a good team. They only look good because of 3-4 players actually deciding to play hockey (most of the year anyways) and getting in a good position.

This team would be such a mess without Kessel, regardless of who we would have drafted had we not traded for him. I feel like 15 of the players on the team are Toskala's relatives

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
The thing about Lupul is that he is a second line winger. All of the reasons to get irritated with him are what makes him a second line winger. If he didn't have those bad attributes he would be a first line winger.

Second line wingers are by nature, streaky, etc. If they weren't...once again they would be first line wingers.

If we get rid of Lupul we would just be trying to fill a second line wing spot with the same type of player. He fits the criteria of a second line winger to a 't', salary as well. Might as well keep him and just stop expecting point per game production. Because no winger will get that or do better flanking Nazem Kadri.

Kyle Doobas*

The thing about Lupul is that he is a second line winger. All of the reasons to get irritated with him are what makes him a second line winger. If he didn't have those bad attributes he would be a first line winger.

Second line wingers are by nature, streaky, etc. If they weren't...once again they would be first line wingers.
Nobody's criticizing him for not scoring enough. There are plenty of defensively responsible second-liners around the league. Lupul isn't one of them, hence being bounced around from team to team so much.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
You know what, Kessel cares. He does.

I still remember that play when he drove hard to the net and wanted the goal so bad he changed his angle and waited till the last possible second before shooting. Scoring the goal and slamming into the post.

I don't believe he doesn't care. He needs guys on his line that will win battles on the boards and help keep pressure on the opposition.

leafstilldeath*

Kessel is more of a leader than that Moron who wears the "C".

Why the hell do we still have Ron Wilson/Burke's captain playing?

Wilson-Burke bromance wasn't good. Bozo-Kessel bromance isn't good. That has to be BROKEN. On a team when player like Bozo get top line mins, top PP mins what does one expect?

Someone had the stat yesterday that Kessel and JVR post olympics have combined for 1 assist on PP. If that isn't bad I don't know what is!

Two pylons on the point (Franson, Dion), a joker of a center
No wonder........

And yes Kessel you let leafs nation down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad