Sidney Crosby - UFA this summer - 11M$ AAV for 4 years. Do you sign him, yes or no?

Sidney Crosby - UFA this summer - 11M$ AAV for 4 years. Do you sign him, yes or no?

• Total voters
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Leafs will have to pass, but he’d be worth it to many, if not most.

I’m not creative enough to figure out a way to fit him in other than trading Marner for futures, but under the stipulation of taking a loss on that trade, we will pass. If the return on Marner was fair, the question becomes a lot harder.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
This is Crosby we are talking about. His salary cap hit is going to be $8,700,000.

Reactions: dm1371

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
The sad thing is 38% of the people wouldn’t take him according to the poll. I’m gonna guess that 20% of those people don’t like him and if they were a GM would actually pull the trigger on that in a heart beat. Doesn’t matter if the team is a contender or a rebuilding team. Having sid in your organization can be nothing but a positive

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If I have the cap space, **** yes.
He knows what it takes to win and never takes a day off.
Will bring so much awesomeness into the locker room.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I’m not creative enough to figure out a way to fit him in other than trading Marner for futures, but under the stipulation of taking a loss on that trade, we will pass. If the return on Marner was fair, the question becomes a lot harder.

For the Leafs I don't think it makes sense to trade either Marner/Matthews. I mean - you could, and you'd get a great haul, but it'd be good if you can keep them for future. I think your better option is to trade Tavares. It might cost you some assets to get someone to take Tavares (esp if with no retention) - but even if you pay a 1st round pick (or more), it's probably worth it for the upgrade to Crosby.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
welcome to Boston.

Boston is interesting to speculate about line combinations.

I honestly don't know if I'd recreate the Bergeron/Marchand/Crosby line that was so great - or keep the current Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak intact and allow Crosby to center his own line (as he's more than capable of). Or - maybe do neither/nor of those lines and load 2 lines with 2 players each.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
In another poll which asks basically the same question except for Ovechkin, the majority (63%) voted no so I'm surprised to see the results of this poll...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

You wouldn’t trade Tavares for Crosby?

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Yes. He's still got it and he seems like a Jagr-type personality where the mindset is: "if i dont play hockey, what else am i going to do?" He will play at a high level for a while yet.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
You wouldn’t trade Tavares for Crosby?

Sure I would. But Tavares has a NMC and is our captain. I don't think he would waive for many/any places and I don't believe in giving the clause only to ask the player to waive it not even half way into the contract. Tavares most likely refuses to waive and now we have a fractured relationship with our captain for the next 4 years.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
For the Leafs I don't think it makes sense to trade either Marner/Matthews. I mean - you could, and you'd get a great haul, but it'd be good if you can keep them for future. I think your better option is to trade Tavares. It might cost you some assets to get someone to take Tavares (esp if with no retention) - but even if you pay a 1st round pick (or more), it's probably worth it for the upgrade to Crosby.

Yeah Matthews I won't even consider trading. Marner if the return is fair I'd strongly consider. Tavares has a NMC and I don't think he waives. I think we're out of options here.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sure I would. But Tavares has a NMC and is our captain. I don't think he would waive for many/any places and I don't believe in giving the clause only to ask the player to waive it not even half way into the contract. Tavares most likely refuses to waive and now we have a fractured relationship with our captain for the next 4 years.
I totally understand but since it’s a totally hypothetical question I didn’t put that much thought into it.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd assumed that with this hypothetical scenario, you could also make room for him on your roster any way you wanted to, so the question was just whether or not you felt that kind of money for Crosby was worth it for your team.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don't think it'd be a great signing, he won't be an 8 figure player at 38/39 but every GM would do this easily just for name recognition/jersey sales/increase in attendance

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think it'd be a great signing, he won't be an 8 figure player at 38/39 but every GM would do this easily just for name recognition/jersey sales/increase in attendance

He'd be 37 when the deal outlined in the OP ends?

He turns 34 this summer. So his age at the beginning of each season he's signed would be:
Year 1 - 34
Year 2 - 35
Year 3 - 36
Year 4 - 37

He wouldn't turn 38 until the summer the deal expires.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He'd be 37 when the deal outlined in the OP ends?

He turns 34 this summer. So his age at the beginning of each season he's signed would be:
Year 1 - 34
Year 2 - 35
Year 3 - 36
Year 4 - 37

He wouldn't turn 38 until the summer the deal expires.
True, Idk why I was thinking he was already 34. Probably because Ovi is 35 and I was thinking he is 1 year younger.

Being ages 34-37 definitely makes that contract a lot easier to sign as opposed to what I was picturing where it was ages 35-39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad