Post-Game Talk: Sid is a Venomous Beast that You Can't Kill with a Broom

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
that's in hindsight. Why hold back? There are non-championship-caliber players on the Pens roster. There is absolutely nothing internally that would limit them from replacing them. Why shouldn't they?

There are absolutely non-championship caliber players on every cup team.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should replace some of these guys. But a lot of people here are gung-ho about breaking the bank for a forward that may not work out here and that we may even not need, which I am not sold on.

Upgrading our team, sure, but for the right price and the right player.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
- Canadian announcers do more to make people hate Crosby than Crosby. On the play where Kunitz brought the puck in, passed to Dupers and he scores the 2nd goal of the night... all they talk about afterward is Crosby, who didn't actually touch the puck, and how he's responsible for the goal. And then give him the first star while Fleury had 29 SV out of 30 and Dupers had two clutch goals. :laugh: No wonder people hate us; it's not us it's the fricking Canadian "Golden Boy Media Syndrome".

Haha. Funny you should mention that. I was watching a game with my dad and he was complaining about "those American announcers" (not sure if it was Steigy and Errey or NBC) and how they only talked about Sid. And he hates how Steigy and Errey refer to players by their nicknames - he has no idea who "Geno" is.

However, he grew up listening to hockey called by the legendary Foster Hewitt, so obviously no one is ever going to measure up to that... :laugh:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Don't waste your time arguing with people. Either they get it or they don't. Too many people turn a blind eye to the differences between the regular season and playoffs. When Crosby has to fight through the shadow coverage of Bergeron and Chara for seven games, the reality will settle in.

Having Rossi say Iggy wouldn't be a top six guy for the Pens and Cook writing Crosby doesn't need a winger, just shows ignorance. Iggy is so well beyond Dupuis in just about every area of the game that I can't believe how stupid people can be.

Crosby will never throw his guys under the bus, but when he is saying "our line isn't very good off the rush, but we do our damage cycling" that says all you need to know.

Crosby is creating for his linemates, but the time will come when he needs a guy that can create space for him and get him the puck at the right times.

I never heard that comment from Sid, so I won't comment on it myself.

Regardless, Rossi is a tool AND a troll. You should see him hit and run on twitter when he's challenged. He's like...well, a message board poster.

Again, my wanting Iginla here depends on the price, but I'll bet real money that all Iggy has to do is put on that uniform, have one shift with Sid and one PP with Sid AND Geno, and he'll automatically become 10 years younger.

I don't need to mention that he's a right handed shot either.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i can sort of understand why some people say that iginla isn't needed to play with sid. they are scoring tons of goals already, dupuis/kunitz are playing great, etc etc. i dont agree, but that's fine.

honest question though. i remember when the pens acquired hossa, i initially thought that the pens didnt really need him. sid was coming back from his ankle injury, but as i recall the pens were scoring a lot before acquiring hossa. is that correct? does anyone remember who sid's linemates were prior to that deadline deal? armstrong and hilbert?

in any case, even if the pens were scoring at a decent rate before hossa, people need to remember how the pens steam-rolled everyone in the east in '08 with hossa. it wasn't even close. i think people forget how dominant the pens were that postseason.

not sure if there is a real point to this post, to be honest.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There are absolutely non-championship caliber players on every cup team.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should replace some of these guys. But a lot of people here are gung-ho about breaking the bank for a forward that may not work out here and that we may even not need, which I am not sold on.

Upgrading our team, sure, but for the right price and the right player.

Yea, I get that every team has warts.

But this team has a very unique situation here. They have two superstars ready to dominate. They have some VERY GLARING weaknesses. They have enough cap space to absorb the Nashville Predators at the deadline. They have enough assets to make most teams a little moist.

The only thing that matters is winning championships. The Penguins, as constructed, have a chance against every team in the league.

Go the extra step to put every other team at a disadvantage.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yea, I get that every team has warts.

But this team has a very unique situation here. They have two superstars ready to dominate. They have some VERY GLARING weaknesses. They have enough cap space to absorb the Nashville Predators at the deadline. They have enough assets to make most teams a little moist.

The only thing that matters is winning championships. The Penguins, as constructed, have a chance against every team in the league.

Go the extra step to put every other team at a disadvantage.

Do they have any other team more willing to deal them quality forwards over the likes of, say, Boston?

I'm still not sure what we have that sellers with quality Top-6 forwards would want. Will Nisky or Maatta really fill the voids on any of those teams (Don't really get to watch Western Conference games at all, so I couldn't say.)?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Do they have any other team more willing to deal them quality forwards over the likes of, say, Boston?

I'm still not sure what we have that sellers with quality Top-6 forwards would want. Will Nisky or Maatta really fill the voids on any of those teams (Don't really get to watch Western Conference games at all, so I couldn't say.)?

Finding a "dance partner" is obviously the issue, you can't force people into trading or into being interested in what you're offering... I don't know what the Pens are willing to part with or what the Bruins are willing to part with... but I would think that the Pens could make enticing offers.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
When I first saw it, I was all over Orpik because it looked like he couldn't decide who he wanted to cover once Kessel slowed up and ended up covering nobody, but Kunitz went puck chasing because Jeffrey was late coming back, presumably because of the line change.

**** happens.

I tried to read what you said, but I kept reading you want Orpik to get eaten by a hobo...

I never heard that comment from Sid, so I won't comment on it myself.

It was repeated on Leafs TV yesterday by McGill about a conversation he had with Crosby.

Again, my wanting Iginla here depends on the price, but I'll bet real money that all Iggy has to do is put on that uniform, have one shift with Sid and one PP with Sid AND Geno, and he'll automatically become 10 years younger.

I don't need to mention that he's a right handed shot either.

Iggy would make a huge difference, but there are no guarantees. I think Shero will bow out early if the bidding gets too high.

I'm more focused on trades for guys like Stempniak and Morrow. They won't break the bank and both are capable of playing in the top nine. They will give this team depth for the top six if need be and a nice blend of grit, vet presence (Morrow) skill and hustle (Stempniak).

I really wanted Ott, but saw on SN yesterday Buffalo said he isn't available.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
And yet, he's being praised by Madden yet again today saying "He played pretty good!!!"

He could've played like the second coming of Bobby Orr for all I care. Doesn't change the fact that the guy still makes some of the dumbest decision on the ice. What's worse is that he looked like he was shocked when he got that boarding penalty against the Leafs. :shakehead

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
Tough to make plays when you have no time and space because no one else on your line can regularly carry the puck and burn teams one on one.

It's pretty ridiculous how many on this board can't see this.

If your contention were in any way true, this wouldn't be the most dominant line in the league. Pretty ridiculous you can't see that.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Finding a "dance partner" is obviously the issue, you can't force people into trading or into being interested in what you're offering... I don't know what the Pens are willing to part with or what the Bruins are willing to part with... but I would think that the Pens could make enticing offers.

Well, I mean more that it looks on the surface that the Bruins would make for a more attractive partner to most teams than the Pens might, as they have more enticing forward pieces to move a team, IMO (specifically Horton).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well, I mean more that it looks on the surface that the Bruins would make for a more attractive partner to most teams than the Pens might, as they have more enticing forward pieces to move a team, IMO (specifically Horton).

But trading Horton likely makes them worse. Pens have the ability to add pieces without taking away key cogs, I think?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If your contention were in any way true, this wouldn't be the most dominant line in the league. Pretty ridiculous you can't see that.

I think it's safe to say most of us are content with the line in the regular season. A playoff series against a dedicated, tight-checking opponent is another matter.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
I get the concept, but Malkin already has the best winger on the team on his line. Forget this years stats, Neal is a true one shot scoring threat and more individually skilled than Kunitz. They are going to turn it around. Malkin's injuries have been a big factor in their struggles this year. If you are looking for a winger upgrade, you put it on your top line IMO. Dupes can move down onto the second unit with Geno.

Neal isn't more individually skilled than Kunitz outside of his shot. Kunitz is definitely better with the puck and in transition.

I can't buy that Malkin's line is fine. Their even strength scoring compared to Sid's line has been absolutely horrible. Last year Malkin and Neal had tons of success largely because of what Kunitz was able to provide on their line. He's been replaced by the likes of Tangradi, Boychuk, Kennedy, etc. - it shouldn't be any surprise that the line has taken a big hit from last year. BB has been playing well and could be a permanent fixture on that line sooner rather than later, but I don't know if he's the solution to that line just yet, and I'd prefer to go out and get an established top 6 guy and slot him alongside Malkin and Neal, moving BB down to take TK's spot.

Also, Geno was struggling 5 on 5 well before his recent bout of injuries, and the last thing his line needs is another straight line player who can't carry the puck, so Dupuis isn't much of an option. They've never worked together very well in the past either.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Any fool can read a stat sheet. Apparently not everyone can see that Dupuis does not have the skillset to be a consistent puck carrier when Sid is being taken out of the play. Which will happen more often as teams clamp down on individual players in postseason hockey.

That line will not have anywhere near the same success in the playoffs as they're having right now.

Dupuis is tailor made for Sutter and Cooke. If we're moving assets, why not acquire someone who can make it easier for Sid to produce in postseason hockey, while upgrading our 3rd line in the process.

ObsessedCreative*

Also not to mention Iggy ultimately will decide where he wants to go... maybe he doesnt want to go to Boston, but he does want to go to Pittsburgh or vice versa!

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
I think it's safe to say most of us are content with the line in the regular season. A playoff series against a dedicated, tight-checking opponent is another matter.

Every line has to deal with the increased pressure, intensity, and checking of the playoffs. It is not exclusive to Sid - Kunitz - Dupuis.

I'm not just looking at box scores here - this is an awesome line and a very difficult one to defend. There is no special gameplan to stop them. You just have to raise your intensity level. Thing is, Sid, Kunitz, and, Dupuis will be doing the same thing. If you believe that their line is prone to being shut down in the playoffs, I can only imagine what you think will happen to Geno's.

ObsessedCreative*

Any fool can read a stat sheet. Apparently not everyone can see that Dupuis does not have the skillset to be a consistent puck carrier when Sid is being taken out of the play. Which will happen more often as teams clamp down on individual players in postseason hockey.

That line will not have anywhere near the same success in the playoffs as they're having right now.

Dupuis is tailor made for Sutter and Cooke. If we're moving assets, why not acquire someone who can make it easier for Sid to produce in postseason hockey, while upgrading our 3rd line in the process.

That is my line of thinking as well... we upgrade Sids line with a winger and then that automatically upgrades the 3rd line and also in the process takes a useless waste of skin of out the line up (glass / kennedy I AM looking at you both...)

Then a guy like Pascal adds some much needed scoring punch to the bottom 6 all while still remainng and defensively responsible in that role.

It's a WIN / WIN / WIN

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009

It's a laughable premise that the way to stop Sid's line is to swarm him and forget about his linemates. Crosby will exploit any opening the defense gives him if they overcommit to him and it's the reason he has more assists than almost anybody else has points.

Everybody will be scoring less in the playoffs in all likelihood so you're not going out on a huge limb by saying they won't achieve the same success. I would bet that as long as we are in the playoffs, Sid is at or near the top of the scoring lead. We can count even strength points only if you'd like.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Every line has to deal with the increased pressure, intensity, and checking of the playoffs. It is not exclusive to Sid - Kunitz - Dupuis.

I'm not just looking at box scores here - this is an awesome line and a very difficult one to defend. There is no special gameplan to stop them. You just have to raise your intensity level. Thing is, Sid, Kunitz, and, Dupuis will be doing the same thing. If you believe that their line is prone to being shut down in the playoffs, I can only imagine what you think will happen to Geno's.

Yep. I'm just not convinced that Kunitz and Dupuis can be as opportunistic as they'll need to be or handle being mail-carriers if and when Sid gets swarmed by a quality opponent over a 7 game series. It will be the Montreal series all over again - the other team will narrow their focus to the guy that the play always runs through and dare his wingers to make them pay, and we'll have flubbed chances galore. Hell, that line didn't even look very good against Philly.

I don't think you just look at box scores. I only think that too much emphasis is being placed on regular season success when we have seen first-hand the trouble the Pens have encountered when relying on Kunitz and Dupuis flanking Sid in a playoff environment.

I'm fine with Geno's line. He has a proven clinical finisher and a creative element in Bennett.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Geno's is harder to shut down imo. Bennett and Neal can create better between the two of them than Dupuis and Kunitz can. If Sid is out of the play, that line most likely isn't scoring unless Letang is involved. If Geno is out of the play, I have some faith that Bennett and Neal could make something happen. That's not me saying I think Neal and Bennett are better than Kunitz and Dupuis. But they are the right types of players.

Just watch Dupuis and Kunitz. Count how many goals they produce through the rest of the year without Sid being directly involved. In the playoffs, teams are going to shadow Sid with their best center and their best d-man ala Boston with Bergeron and Chara. Dupuis and Kunitz aren't going to create much in that situation. It took Letang making the play with Kunitz to get that line on the board against Boston. They were just swallowed up the rest of the night.

Take Geno out of a play and Bennett is good enough at carrying the puck to make something happen with Neal. Is Bennett better than Dupuis? No, he's probably not. But he can do a lot of things that Dupuis can't.

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis is a good line even in the playoffs. I would love to surround Sid with the talent to be a completely dominant line. I don't think it would take an Iginla to do it. Just someone who can carry the play better than Dupuis either with more physicality or more creativity and skill.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
That is my line of thinking as well... we upgrade Sids line with a winger and then that automatically upgrades the 3rd line and also in the process takes a useless waste of skin of out the line up (glass / kennedy I AM looking at you both...)

Then a guy like Pascal adds some much needed scoring punch to the bottom 6 all while still remainng and defensively responsible in that role.

It's a WIN / WIN / WIN

The problem is that we have two stars on our second line who are struggling to produce at even strength because they haven't had a competent third wheel. Their line needs to be upgraded first and foremost. And with the market being what it is, I doubt we'll want to shell out what it's going to take to grab another another top 6 forward that would be a clear upgrade on Dupuis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad