Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They added Horton, Kelly and Peverly.

Horton wasn't a deadline deal. He was acquired in the off season

They probably got worse in those trades though because to acquire a puck moving D that they were missing, I remember they had to trade Stuart and Wheeler to Atlanta, got back Perverley cap move so they can bring in Kaberle which was useless for them anyways

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Assuming the Pens continue on their pace, it feels like a big go-for-it year - similar to '08. It has been awhile. I expect at least a valiant effort at a big move.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Assuming the Pens continue on their pace, it feels like a big go-for-it year - similar to '08. It has been awhile. I expect at least a valiant effort at a big move.

If my memory serves, you had a source during the whole Crosby concussion situation...

SPILL THE BEANS! WHO ARE THEY ACQUIRING!!!

;)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If my memory serves, you had a source during the whole Crosby concussion situation...

SPILL THE BEANS! WHO ARE THEY ACQUIRING!!!

;)

Well I keep listening to McGuire who is as we all know plugged in here with Shero and he keeps saying were definitely making moves and he has that voice like something big will happen. We will soon find out

CHLLL Penguin

Nov 14, 2011
They've been killed by bad linesman crap all year. I know he's whining and it's annoying, but I don't blame them for being irritated at face-offs.

True but you could tell when he was going to get kicked, because he deserved it. Nobody else got kicked out as much as he did and when he got kicked he yapped about it every time. The fans didn't boo when he got kicked (unless I couldn't hear it on TV) and no other Toronto player complained like he did last night. It was just a random small thing I noticed last night and I thought it was funny someone else brought it up.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
It's not hard to comprehend, if you improve the top wingers, if you don't trade said wingers for an upgrade, you can move them down to the lower lines, improving those lines in the process

I comprehend what you are saying and its true that for some players like TK and Glass anything that forces them out is addition by subtraction. However, its going to be easier and less costly for Shero to acquire bottom six talent rather than top six. If we end up with someone like Iginla I'll be more than happy for it. I just don't buy in to the notion that it's necessary for this team to win in the playoffs.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
+Sid
+Dupuis
+Despres
++Fleury

-Jeffrey
-Orpik
-Letang

On Letang isn't it amazing how poor he is on the PP? HCDB should NOT put him on the 1st unit, even without Geno. He just is totally ineffective.

His game is finding holes in transition to randomly lead a rush. He does not have a slap shot or a great shot and he really struggles making set plays like on PP.

He is an ad-lib type defenseman who catches you spur of the moment, he is not somebody who can be effective carrying the puck with 4 players of his own in front.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
MALKIN UPDATE: Skated today on his own with strength coach Mike Kadar. Will NOT be playing Sat vs. NYR

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+Sid
+Dupuis
+Despres
++Fleury

-Jeffrey
-Orpik
-Letang

On Letang isn't it amazing how poor he is on the PP? HCDB should NOT put him on the 1st unit, even without Geno. He just is totally ineffective.

His game is finding holes in transition to randomly lead a rush. He does not have a slap shot or a great shot and he really struggles making set plays like on PP.

He is an ad-lib type defenseman who catches you spur of the moment, he is not somebody who can be effective carrying the puck with 4 players of his own in front.

What I've noticed with Letang is he's much better when he acts on instinct. When he's forced to think too much (ie. more time to analyze things on the PP), he ends up screwing up. But at 5 on 5 when things happen, as you say, in the spur of the moment, when he's relying on instinct rather than brain, he does well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Horton wasn't a deadline deal. He was acquired in the off season

I never said Horton was a deadline deal. Neither was Richards. Neither was Mullen or Murphy.

It doesn't matter if the trade was made in the Summer, in the middle of the season or at the deadline. What matters is the GMs added pieces that helped their team win the cup in that respective season.

They probably got worse in those trades though because to acquire a puck moving D that they were missing, I remember they had to trade Stuart and Wheeler to Atlanta, got back Perverley cap move so they can bring in Kaberle which was useless for them anyways

Ya, I disagree big time.

All of those guys played an integral role in the Bruins winning the cup, even Kaberle. He was running their PP and had something like 10 or 11 points in the playoffs. Horton scored a bunch of huge goals for them, Peverly had a dozen points, and Kelly was a great shut down guy who put up over a dozen points as well.

Taking any of those guys out of the equation probably costs the Bruins the cup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ya, I disagree big time.

All of those guys played an integral role in the Bruins winning the cup, even Kaberle. He was running their PP and had something like 10 or 11 points in the playoffs. Horton scored a bunch of huge goals for them, Peverly had a dozen points, and Kelly was a great shut down guy who put up over a dozen points as well.

Kelly and Peverly, especially, were huge additions. That third line of Kelly, Peverly and Ryder was basically like having another second line for them. Huge part in their sick depth that year.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
+Sid
+Dupuis
+Despres
++Fleury

-Jeffrey
-Orpik
-Letang

I think everyone on this board has been saying since the first five games that Letang should be no where near the PP. But if Bylsma hasn't noticed yet he never will.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Adding a legitimate top line player to Sid's line makes sense, absolutely. It just makes a lot more sense to devote those assets to upgrading Geno's line where they've been non-existant at ES for a lot of the season. I don't think it's realistic that we could pull off both, and if we could, I think we'd be better off combining those assets toward a deal that provides us a true difference maker.

Ya i agree and Sutter and BB seem to play well together i think their a better fit then Sutter and Dupuis. I dunno if you guys saw sid's media scrum after the game but he was asked how he knew Dupuis was their on his first goal. Sid said he knew Dupuis was forechecking on that side of the ice and he would be right by the net. Your not gonna get another winger to play on that line with Sid for 10 games and have that type of chemistry.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kelly and Peverly, especially, were huge additions. That third line of Kelly, Peverly and Ryder was basically like having another second line for them. Huge part in their sick depth that year.

That's why even if Shero can't make a big move, he should make a big push for a guy like Stempniak. Even if he just plays on the third line, his hustle, playmaking, puck possession and ability to score goals will pay off during the playoffs.

He will mesh a hell of a lot better with Sutter than TK. I feel pretty confident in saying that.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Ya i agree and Sutter and BB seem to play well together i think their a better fit then Sutter and Dupuis. I dunno if you guys saw sid's media scrum after the game but he was asked how he knew Dupuis was their on his first goal. Sid said he knew Dupuis was forechecking on that side of the ice and he would be right by the net. Your not gonna get another winger to play on that line with Sid for 10 games and have that type of chemistry.

Why not? You don't think skill players think the same way and mesh more easily?

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Ya, I disagree big time.

I think if you ask anyone on the B's board they will say they easily could have won the cup with Kaberle as he was genuinely useless. The other two were great though. That's neither here nor there, just speaks to the risks of picking up players at the deadline who may or may not work, as we know full well.

HotCoffey

Feb 22, 2013

This. Plus, it's not like Shero would throw away that chemistry for a player that doesn't fit Sid's play style. Look at how well and quickly Kunitz and Guerin worked with him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think if you ask anyone on the B's board they will say they easily could have won the cup with Kaberle as he was genuinely useless. The other two were great though. That's neither here nor there, just speaks to the risks of picking up players at the deadline who may or may not work, as we know full well.

Well they can say that, but he still ran their PP and had almost a dozen points in the playoffs. We know they won WITH him, so it's hard to dispute the move.

History is meant to be changed, but facts are facts in regards to Pens history.. They have never won the cup without making significant moves.

I just threw the last two cup winners in there to support my argument.

Maybe Shero stands pat and they win the cup, but I severely doubt that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

that's in hindsight. Why hold back? There are non-championship-caliber players on the Pens roster. There is absolutely nothing internally that would limit them from replacing them. Why shouldn't they?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The goal happened in the middle of a line change and you are always taught to back check to the middle of the ice and take the most dangerous guy, when you are first man back like Kunitz. You should let your blueliner worry about the puck carrier in this instance.

Orpik correctly thought Kunitz had Bozak and moved to the puck. Unfortunately Kunitz peeled off Bozak to chase the puck and that left Bozak all alone.

I've ****ed up the same way, because you are switching assignments and things like this happen. You have to stay on Bozak there and go with him to the post. I'm sure DB reminded him when he got back to the bench.

When I first saw it, I was all over Orpik because it looked like he couldn't decide who he wanted to cover once Kessel slowed up and ended up covering nobody, but Kunitz went puck chasing because Jeffrey was late coming back, presumably because of the line change.

**** happens.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

No i don't go back to the Olympics Sid didn't exactly light it up before the golden goal go back to earlier in the year when sid played with Neal it was only 3 or 4 games but i dont think they played as good as they are with Dupuis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad