SI fan misery rankings Dallas is#9

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
Jack Campbell is going to have to be a top 10 starter in this league for many years to justify passing on Fowler. ****ing GMJN 1.0 couldn't draft for ****.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Jack Campbell is going to have to be a top 10 starter in this league for many years to justify passing on Fowler. ****ing GMJN 1.0 couldn't draft for ****.

glennie_36136.jpg

:biglaugh:

......:cry:

Jack of Blades

Nov 14, 2013
Dallas

I mean, yeah, I would prefer Fowler because it's a huge area of need and he's NHL ready, but I'm also a huge Campbell fan. I believe he will eventually be a top 10 goalie.

Edit: OP, where around Lake Ray Hubbard do you live? I'm in Rockwall but I venture into the Garland part of the lake to hit up The Flying Saucer every now and then.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'd still be pissed if Campbell was just a top 10 goalie. Lehtonen is that. No, I want a guy with Henrik Lundqvist level consistency and talent to take the sting away, and even then I'm not so sure. Dallas has never had a terribly difficult time drafting and developing goalies. Defenseman? Haven't developed a legitimately good one of those since Derian Hatcher. That was nearly 24 years ago. That draft pick is nearly as old as I am.

As badly researched as the prospect part of this is, and the fact that they didn't mention Glennie at all, it was still painful to read. I'm also shocked that we're only 9th on this list. I read Winnipeg's summary and it sounds a lot worse than ours. I'm not really sure how a team that has made the playoffs once in its existence and, according to the article, hasn't drafted a regular player outside of the 1st round in its history (minus Enstrom I think?) is ranked lower than the Stars are.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That article was pretty half-assed, especially the write up about the prospects.
Muir is a Dallas guy, so he is not in the dark about the prospect pool. I don't disagree with his assessment. We are told the Stars have drafted well and have a lot of great kids in the system, but are there enough sure fire kids to overcome the continuing misery?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm afraid the Misery Index is going to have to find a new number next season.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Are Stars fans miserable? Why? All of this article's points are on the old owner / regimes ... I don't know how the future isn't bright right now :huh:

Who are these 22 year old goalies who are already lighting it up in the NHL? You can argue that NO goalie belongs in the top half of the first round because their development tends to be so slow / unpredictable, but the book is far from written on Campbell / Fowler. Case in point, the guy taken after Fowler -- Brandon Gormley -- may well end up being better than Fowler, but he hasn't had a chance in the NHL yet because of the defensive depth in PHX. The 2nd overall in 2010 seems to be working out pretty well in DAL ...

Congrats to Horsehead, well played, but stupid article ...

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If Gormley was going to be better than Fowler the Coyotes would have made room for him by now, defensive depth or not. It didn't take OEL 4 years to break into the NHL.

FWIW, Rask lit it up in the NHL as a 22 year old.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Are Stars fans miserable? Why? All of this article's points are on the old owner / regimes ... I don't know how the future isn't bright right now :huh:

Who are these 22 year old goalies who are already lighting it up in the NHL? You can argue that NO goalie belongs in the top half of the first round because their development tends to be so slow / unpredictable, but the book is far from written on Campbell / Fowler. Case in point, the guy taken after Fowler -- Brandon Gormley -- may well end up being better than Fowler, but he hasn't had a chance in the NHL yet because of the defensive depth in PHX. The 2nd overall in 2010 seems to be working out pretty well in DAL ...

Congrats to Horsehead, well played, but stupid article ...
We are approaching six years of missing the playoffs.

Horsehead

Dec 30, 2013
Lake Ray Hubbard
It's a shoulda coulda woulda article.

Fact is no playoffs for many years for a once proud franchise is misery. No way around that.
New look...team....owner....I am sold and in Nill I trust. Every team has a missed draft or player. I can't wait to see who number one most misrible team is.....and I bet y'all a beer it's a Canadian team that is number one.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
We are approaching six years of missing the playoffs.
I'm saying no playoffs for years is half-inevitable given Hicks bankruptcy + how good the west had been. I'm not in the bunker with you guys anymore, but from the outside, when I see 14/91/43/32/Gagliardi's cash/Austin, I see lots of good things. There is a lot of work to be done on the blue line, but GMJN1.0 and GMJN2.0 have both acquired a ton of high-quality dough for Lindy to turn into bread the next few years. DAL is not EDM.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm saying no playoffs for years is half-inevitable given Hicks bankruptcy + how good the west had been. I'm not in the bunker with you guys anymore, but from the outside, when I see 14/91/43/32/Gagliardi's cash/Austin, I see lots of good things. There is a lot of work to be done on the blue line, but GMJN1.0 and GMJN2.0 have both acquired a ton of high-quality dough for Lindy to turn into bread the next few years. DAL is not EDM.
I hope you are right. I really do. The ingredients for greatness are lining up, so there is reason for hope.

I remain very excited about Nill. I thought he had a transformational offseason. He took the job and stated three roster-related goals: move Benn to wing, improve the centers, and improve the D. He accomplished two of those goals. Moving Benn to win was an easy goal to state, but it required the addition of a good center for the move to make sense. That's where his second goal was achieved by adding Seguin, Peverley, and Horcoff. They may not all be long-term goals, but the team's center depth was miles better than it was and Benn is at wing where he looks so much better at both ends of the ice. Adding Seguin was amazing. The best talent infusion this team has seen in almost 15 years. For that alone, I still have Nill in the A+ column.

Nill did nothing for the D other than adding Gonchar. I think Gonchar has been a bad move and hasn't met Nill's expectations, but I'm not going to get mad at Nill for being unable to fix everything in one offseason.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Muir is a Dallas guy, so he is not in the dark about the prospect pool. I don't disagree with his assessment. We are told the Stars have drafted well and have a lot of great kids in the system, but are there enough sure fire kids to overcome the continuing misery?

Defense is the area that most needs addressing, but the Stars’ prospects, led by Jamie Oleksiak, Ludwig Bystrom, Patrik Nemeth and Troy Vance, aren’t close to making the jump and probably aren’t as good as the team’s fans have been led to believe.

John Klingberg is currently 10th in TOI and 2nd among defensemen in one of the best men's leagues outside North America. His exclusion and the inclusion of Troy Vance tells me that either the writer didn't do much research or is willfully misleading his audience; same goes for Jokipakka.

I don't have much time for disingenuous or poorly researched articles. That's not me toeing the company line and defending the Stars. That's me not enjoying bull****.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
John Klingberg is currently 10th in TOI and 2nd among defensemen in one of the best men's leagues outside North America. His exclusion and the inclusion of Troy Vance tells me that either the writer didn't do much research or is willfully misleading his audience; same goes for Jokipakka.

I don't have much time for disingenuous or poorly researched articles. That's not me toeing the company line and defending the Stars. That's me not enjoying bull****.

He also mentioned Ritchie and Molin in the same breath and no mention of Dickinson, which was... odd.

Horsehead

Dec 30, 2013
Lake Ray Hubbard
I emailed SI and asked they remove the jackass comment. And it's removed. My Grandma didn't think it was funny.

But I digress....support the Stars...stop the misery.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
As long as the S.T.A.R.S...er, Stars are not on the cover of Sports Illustrated *coughSIcursecough*, the team will indeed have a bright future in front of them.

Given SI's logic, they might count this guy as one of its fans. :sarcasm:

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Seems like you aren't happy with his assessment, especially of the d prospects. That doesn't make him wrong.

I emailed SI and asked they remove the jackass comment. And it's removed. My Grandma didn't think it was funny.

But I digress....support the Stars...stop the misery.
I am sure you will see a correction printed soon with an apology for the equine error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad