TSN Radio Shuffle at TSN 1050 (Toronto Sports Media thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You want to hear another get a clue moment? OMG, it's not related to LL but, get this... People here think Jake Gardiner sucks and should be traded, I know I know, but, get this... They don't even read all the data that proves them completely wrong when it gets linked for them. I am talking hard data, facts and references to things the coach has said about him. It's amazing right, it's like Nylander and Gardiner are whipping boys here. Crazy world!

please just stop.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Double whammy for TSN. Moving the Leafs Lunch crew destroyed that show, and that same crew has made the afternoon drive unlistenable.

The boys should be back in their Leaf Lunch spot from 12-2 or whatever is best for the station where they can talk hockey, and only hockey, during that time, while some more well rounded co-hosts handle the prime time slot.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Patrick O'Sullivan can break a game down better than anyone on TSN radio. It's refreshing to hear people call it like it is and not protect Leaf players when they dog it or make massive errors. If u want tire pumper's go tune into Sportsnet. Romanuk and Millen constantly reach to praise any Leaf player for the smallest thing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Double whammy for TSN. Moving the Leafs Lunch crew destroyed that show, and that same crew has made the afternoon drive unlistenable.

The boys should be back in their Leaf Lunch spot from 12-2 or whatever is best for the station where they can talk hockey, and only hockey, during that time, while some more well rounded co-hosts handle the prime time slot.

i still don't understand why they made the move to begin with.

Jeff can't mentally handle 3 hrs (heck he can barely handle 2). when it was at noon, Ray was able to come in more often live (so like more Ray = awesome). if something MAJOR happened - you just "eat up" the Hayes show.

and the most important part - you had ONE hour of Leafs talk etc. and debate. one hour of NHL talk.

Considering that Andi wastes time with Grades of the Game (like who cares) - that takes up 10-15 minutes. then they fight over crap. that's another 5. then Bob (or another insider) takes up 10 minutes then the other 10 minutes is another insider - then more nonsense. (it's a little more streamlined when it's Mark Rowe - who is awesome).

if i were doing it - Hayes and the Boys go back to Lunch time
2 hrs

move Landsberg/Naylor to the evening (because 1/2 of what they talk about is "evening radio" anyway especially when they go political.

find someone else to go to the morning. If i were moving things around at this point - I'd move Cauz + Wheeler in the morning -

Scotty's show (is 3 hrs) boom. 9-12.

then you just need 2 hrs between 2 and 4 - which could be Hayes + guests (again) OR. you can do something else.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA

Jeff can't mentally handle 3 hrs (heck he can barely handle 2). when it was at noon, Ray was able to come in more often live (so like more Ray = awesome). if something MAJOR happened - you just "eat up" the Hayes show.

and the most important part - you had ONE hour of Leafs talk etc. and debate. one hour of NHL talk.

Considering that Andi wastes time with Grades of the Game (like who cares) - that takes up 10-15 minutes. then they fight over crap. that's another 5. then Bob (or another insider) takes up 10 minutes then the other 10 minutes is another insider - then more nonsense. (it's a little more streamlined when it's Mark Rowe - who is awesome).

2 hrs

move Landsberg/Naylor to the evening (because 1/2 of what they talk about is "evening radio" anyway especially when they go political.

find someone else to go to the morning. If i were moving things around at this point - I'd move Cauz + Wheeler in the morning -

then you just need 2 hrs between 2 and 4 - which could be Hayes + guests (again) OR. you can do something else.

Landsberg/Naylor would get destroyed by PTS in the ratings.
Overdrive pulls the most ratings #s wise on TSNR and by a large margin.
You have to put your best against the competition's best, and PTS has been the gold standard in TO sports radio since it's inception.
Naylor/Landsberg weren't even pulling close to Dean Blundell. They have no shot vs Brady now. Something will give there in the next 6 month.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I can't see "POS" on screen without reading it a different way in my head.

Yea, me too.

When he's focused, he can break down the game quite well but he tends to go off on higher than thou tangents. Tatt-man should put him in his place a bit more. Yes guy.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I happen to like Overdrive where it's at, but maybe that's because I usually only listen to the first hour or 90 minutes.

I just wonder if TSN can grab another former one-dimensional player who will gripe about D play when their own was a joke when they were in the league. Getting a O' in front of their name would help too.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

2 hrs

They moved them to a prime time spot because it's their most popular show. Only a stations best usually gets that slot along with the early drive shift. There's just not nearly the same audience if they stayed on during the lunch slot.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I happen to like Overdrive where it's at, but maybe that's because I usually only listen to the first hour or 90 minutes.

I just wonder if TSN can grab another former one-dimensional player who will gripe about D play when their own was a joke when they were in the league. Getting a O' in front of their name would help too.

i wish they would basically do a 3 hour leaf lunch/hayes show from 4-7PM. 1st hour they talk about the leafs, 2nd hour ray and then nhl talk and the 3rd hour all the other sports. Lets face it no one is tuning in to listen to odog and noodles pretend to know what they are talking about with other sports, odog is better at pretending but really doesnt know anything except maybe golf, noodles and odog regularly miss the 3rd hour anyway due to tv commitments.

I also find it crazy that these kinds of players think they now get to rip on others for **** they couldnt do themselves

REGGIE DUNLOP77

Jun 16, 2014
Southern GeorgianBay
i wish they would basically do a 3 hour leaf lunch/hayes show from 4-7PM. 1st hour they talk about the leafs, 2nd hour ray and then nhl talk and the 3rd hour all the other sports. Lets face it no one is tuning in to listen to odog and noodles pretend to know what they are talking
The last hour is all i get to listen/watch from the pvr so if that happen i would hope they would reconfigure it ,i miss hearing Ray
Button bothers me far more than anyone else on that show.

Button is a bit of an ass i try to give them all a break cuz i know they are in the loop and i am not even close ,but Button says some pretty stupid stuff,,like Sunday they was talking the different between Malkins head check and why he was not suspended and Turoba was for his ,,Button said Malkin went threw the body,,the host said Malkin jumped though,Button replied there is no penalty for jumping.

I was surprised LL was on Monday due to a holiday in some provinces,i tuned in there was Andi,Miller in the middle and i wonder who the third would be,i was very surprised to see O'Sullavin,
Sully and Miller beside each other on the same panel.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The last hour is all i get to listen/watch from the pvr so if that happen i would hope they would reconfigure it ,i miss hearing Ray

Button is a bit of an ass i try to give them all a break cuz i know they are in the loop and i am not even close ,but Button says some pretty stupid stuff,,like Sunday they was talking the different between Malkins head check and why he was not suspended and Turoba was for his ,,Button said Malkin went threw the body,,the host said Malkin jumped though,Button replied there is no penalty for jumping.

I was surprised LL was on Monday due to a holiday in some provinces,i tuned in there was Andi,Miller in the middle and i wonder who the third would be,i was very surprised to see O'Sullavin,
Sully and Miller beside each other on the same panel.

I only listen to the podcast. Its a lot better, its the whole show minus the ads I listen to it at the gym or at work when I want. It's also ALOT clearer listening to the podcast than AM radio, seriously TSN and Sportsnet should look into to moving to FM radio its just painful AM radio when I drive over streetcar track I pretty much lose the station

one note for some reason the music clips are insanely louder than the talking so be aware or you will turn it up to listen to the boys then blow your ears out when the music kicks in

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

O'Neill was a pure offensive weapon, he may not have played much D as a forward, but he can definitely tell when its lousy. How do you think he scored so much? Hes also never claimed to be a good defensive forward, he often jokes about being bad at it.

POS just comes off as arrogant or angry most of the time. He doesnt have the humour that makes O'Neill a good host.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
O'Neill was a pure offensive weapon, he may not have played much D as a forward, but he can definitely tell when its lousy. How do you think he scored so much? Hes also never claimed to be a good defensive forward, he often jokes about being bad at it.

POS just comes off as arrogant or angry most of the time. He doesnt have the humour that makes O'Neill a good host.

then he shouldn't complain about Nylander's defensive game. He was lousy at it but knows how to score in fact he should love nylander then. for the record Nylander is already better at defensive play. If he wasn't willing to put in effort its not right to whine on the radio about another players effort, just comes off as very hypocritical something like "this worked for me in the league, BUT I don't want this guy to do that"

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
then he shouldn't complain about Nylander's defensive game. He was lousy at it but knows how to score in fact he should love nylander then. for the record Nylander is already better at defensive play. If he wasn't willing to put in effort its not right to whine on the radio about another players effort, just comes off as very hypocritical something like "this worked for me in the league, BUT I don't want this guy to do that"

Why not? His job now is to provide analysis. Id rather him call out Nylander's poor defensive play then gloss over it.

Sugar coating things isnt good. He can recognize poor defensive play and its his job to talk about it

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why not? His job now is to provide analysis. Id rather him call out Nylander's poor defensive play then gloss over it.

Sugar coating things isnt good. He can recognize poor defensive play and its his job to talk about it

true, but ive never heard him say a word about JVR or Bozak he either cant notice poor defensive play and follows the nylander bad at D narrative or he isn't willing to "tell it like it is"

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
true, but ive never heard him say a word about JVR or Bozak he either cant notice poor defensive play and follows the nylander bad at D narrative or he isn't willing to "tell it like it is"

I have, and there is a general recognition that JvR and Bozak arent here beyond next year so they tend to focus (both positives and negatives) on the guys who will be.

In fact they often remark that Marner drives that line and the other two are just passengers on it.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

Maybe O'Neill wants Nylander to reach his full potential? The ability is obviously there to be a true star. It's like a parent wanting their kid to work hard in school even if they used to slack off a bit.

Last edited:

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Sports radio should be either informative or entertaining. O and POS aren't there to play hockey, they are there to break things down, O does it in a very entertaining way. POS can break things down, but he is a bit more annoying.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
please just stop.

Deep down you know it's true and like a good debate. As for LL, it's a tank job of it's own. Horrible program that needs dismantled and reinvented with a new cast. Andi is just out of her element and needs to be placed where she is most effective.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Deep down you know it's true and like a good debate. As for LL, it's a tank job of it's own. Horrible program that needs dismantled and reinvented with a new cast. Andi is just out of her element and needs to be placed where she is most effective.

Andi was another Rogers Hockey Night in Canada cut I didn't understand. Since they obviously want a female as part of the program, she was/is the best of the pickings out there.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Andi was another Rogers Hockey Night in Canada cut I didn't understand. Since they obviously want a female as part of the program, she was/is the best of the pickings out there.

If they think she can float that show they are dumb and choosing a woman just because is also completely stupid. You choose the best personality period and she doesn't really have it going on. If they can find a woman with a big personality that gets people talking and listening then great, if not cut your losses and move on.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

she left HNIC before rogers got the rights, she went to soccer for a while I think plus the Olympics. She was very good on the panel back when HNIC was purely a CBC thing, they should bring her back I think she is a great panelist not a great host imo. Also dim the lights and give that cozy Saturday night feel to HNIC again right now its like a operating theatre stark LED lighting really doesn't help the show

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
she left HNIC before rogers got the rights, she went to soccer for a while I think plus the Olympics. She was very good on the panel back when HNIC was purely a CBC thing, they should bring her back I think she is a great panelist not a great host imo. Also dim the lights and give that cozy Saturday night feel to HNIC again right now its like a operating theatre stark LED lighting really doesn't help the show

Got my vote for all those things.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I normally can't catch live broadcast of Leafs Lunch and Overdrive because I work overnight, but I still enjoy the podcast the next morning just as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad