Post-Game Talk: Shredder Wins

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
I don’t know if this has been posted yet but:laugh:
32592E33-F252-4DB2-91D6-385373EC0113.jpeg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
People are commenting that Looch doesn't fight. That's not even close to the crux of the problem. He doesn't hit, doesn't fight for the puck,, slacks off skating, and flat out looks completely disinterested. No compete.

This is the problem exactly. Can't help but laugh when him and his teammates go "duuuuur he's so scary nobody will fight him duuuur, not his fault!" If he was running around hitting people the Oilers probably would have no choice but to fight him. He doesn't do that though, he just kind of hangs around scrums and tries his best to look intimidating on the bench.

Literally laughed out loud when I read the Tkachuk (I believe) quote about how he has a "presence" out there. No idea what that means, but this vague nonsense is about all they have to support him.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It was an emotional game. Far more emotional than the run of the mill regular season game. When stuff happens that amps up the intensity, and the hatred, guys just want to win even more. Facing down the league points leaders, in succession, in a shootout, for the win, is a big moment for a goalie. Oilers hit the post, he got lucky. I’m sure he’d say he was so on position that all he gave them was post. Whatever. He also made 30 saves in the game, so it’s not like he hadn’t put in a night’s work. Look, I’m not trying to defend the guy at all. He can kick spikes. But in general I guess I’m OK with players doing stuff like what he did. I can understand why he did it - in the moment.

It’s the kind of cockiness that can come back to haunt you though, and he faced his music day before yesterday. Other than the tweet about that being ‘his fight’ that someone posted above, has he complained at all about the Oilers’ intentionally exaggerated cellys, or about getting chirped by the bench when he got pulled? I dunno, if he has whined about any of that I guess I’d say he was the sort of poor sport who can dish it out but can’t take it. Which wouldn’t surprise me in the least given the club he plays for.

The way I look at it Rittich's stick flip on it's own was fine, it's that he stared down Draisaitl while doing it. If he does it skating towards his teammates to celebrate the win, then it's all good. I'd be annoyed, but no more than anytime you get to see your foe celebrate success in front of you.

Bautista's flip conversely which was seen as a cardinal sin, truly was an emotional moment where he didn't stare down his opponent, he admired his hit momentarily before throwing/flipping the bat then ran his bases.

Both instances were in the middle of pretty emotionally charged situations, though I'd say Bautista's was a little moreso because they had just suffered some strange calls against, it was to erase a deficit in the game and it was playoffs.

Basically, I'm cool with any celebration but prefer that it doesn't immediately go and mock your opponent. And I also feel if you do it, you better be ready to receive it double when that opponent succeeds against you.

Reactions: Faryn

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
This is the problem exactly. Can't help but laugh when him and his teammates go "duuuuur he's so scary nobody will fight him duuuur, not his fault!" If he was running around hitting people the Oilers probably would have no choice but to fight him. He doesn't do that though, he just kind of hangs around scrums and tries his best to look intimidating on the bench.

Literally laughed out loud when I read the Tkachuk (I believe) quote about how he has a "presence" out there. No idea what that means, but this vague nonsense is about all they have to support him.

The best quote was Giordano saying lucic didn’t fight because no one wants to fight him. Nurse challenged him many times and he skated away. Hell even Kassian would take that fight, and I would put money and khaira answering the bell if he was challenged as well. Not saying all of those guys would win, other than Nurse of course, but to say no one on our roster would fight him is just complete nonsense. Captain coward making excuses.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
The best quote was Giordano saying lucic didn’t fight because no one wants to fight him. Nurse challenged him many times and he skated away. Hell even Kassian would take that fight, and I would put money and khaira answering the bell if he was challenged as well. Not saying all of those guys would win, other than Nurse of course, but to say no one on our roster would fight him is just complete nonsense. Captain coward making excuses.
Sam Gagner would take that fight, he would lose terribly but he would go with him.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was a lucky shootout win in February where he only had to make one save. He’s free to do whatever he wants, but I can understand why the Oilers didn’t like it.

Draisaitl, specifically, didn't like it and commented specifically on it in the postgame which isn't best form either. Look, everybody knows Draisaitl walks on water in my general view but I've seen him laugh at how easy it was to score against opponents and theres even memes of that. He's been far from chivalrous at times.

@harpoon has it right. People get emotional, people do things. I thought the stick toss was kind of funny. I certainly wasn't bothered by it. If an Oiler player does that everybody justifies it and I learn here every time that a win is a win is a win.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

But to be clear Connor McDavid went as far as to state "it doesn't matter if Lucic scores, he's valuable to the team" Connor didn't define the value, just said its there.

Teammates defend teammates. Its all it is. In a team sport you generally have to or the ship falls apart. If theres disagreement you keep it quiet or challenge one on one discretely. You don't air out the laundry. But in hockey specifically teams are famous for keeping discord entirely out of the equation. Critiquing others is heavily discouraged in the hockey world and even if its Nicholson critiquing Rieder who hadn't scored all year. You learn in hockey, a team sport, not to single out others.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
People are commenting that Looch doesn't fight. That's not even close to the crux of the problem. He doesn't hit, doesn't fight for the puck,, slacks off skating, and flat out looks completely disinterested. No compete.

Lucic is on a retirement contract as I've stated many times. The fire is completely out and it was as early as LA where he wasn't responding to punch donkeys. Lucic is that nature of player that won one SC, had a supporting part in that, but figures he's a legend with complete sated goals and now he can spend the rest of his days saying "you know who I am in dark bars and will probably not stop being that kind of individual.

Lucic doesn't currently have hockey related goals. It becomes really clear, or should. its easy to spot players that are engaged and those that are not. Lucic has even spoken about trying to find ways to get engaged and that its a struggle for him. In his mind he has nothing left to accomplish in hockey. That's unfortunate to any club paying him.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
What happened to their lil Johnny hockey? He was literally invisible for the last couple games, almost forgot he was on their team.
His stock is massively declining after last year's playoff performance and his play this year. Total perimeter player, who seems to have lost whatever edge he had. He's got 2 more years under contract with the Flames, if I'm not mistaken, after this one. Unless his game, or more so his overall drive, magically increases I'd be shocked if he remains a Flame for that entire time. That being said, they'll be selling low on this asset.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
So now Rittich is saying that getting into a goalie fight is on his bucket list. Maybe Mr. Smith needs to oblige him next game. Too bad that wasn't Rittich instead of Talbot that Smith pounded on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The way I look at it Rittich's stick flip on it's own was fine, it's that he stared down Draisaitl while doing it. If he does it skating towards his teammates to celebrate the win, then it's all good. I'd be annoyed, but no more than anytime you get to see your foe celebrate success in front of you.

Bautista's flip conversely which was seen as a cardinal sin, truly was an emotional moment where he didn't stare down his opponent, he admired his hit momentarily before throwing/flipping the bat then ran his bases.

Both instances were in the middle of pretty emotionally charged situations, though I'd say Bautista's was a little moreso because they had just suffered some strange calls against, it was to erase a deficit in the game and it was playoffs.

Basically, I'm cool with any celebration but prefer that it doesn't immediately go and mock your opponent. And I also feel if you do it, you better be ready to receive it double when that opponent succeeds against you.

The old school is that if you celly at all you don't taunt the opponent doing it. That it comes back on you. I notice in Football people argue the point all day as football features a lot of it. I think cellys that over the top can be disrespectful. Its hard to define. But you sure shouldn't taunt a McD or a Drai. That's plain stupid and I'm glad when it happens..

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
Honestly, Rittich's, 'why can't I celebrate?' quote seems very telling to me and far more, 'whiny' than anything from the Oilers (who Calgary is at great pains to paint as the whiners in this whole thing).

It just seems like a loser kind of thing to say. Like a child that just got sent to their room and thinks its unjust. Can you imagine any circumstances where Patrick Roy would have said something like that? More likely would have been, 'if they think that was bad, they should see what I do when I shut them out next game'

I think the Oilers really got in his head this time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly, Rittich's, 'why can't I celebrate?' quote seems very telling to me and far more, 'whiny' than anything from the Oilers (who Calgary is at great pains to paint as the whiners in this whole thing).

It just seems like a loser kind of thing to say. Like a child that just got sent to their room and thinks its unjust. Can you imagine any circumstances where Patrick Roy would have said something like that? More likely would have been, 'if they think that was bad, they should see what I do when I shut them out next game'

I think the Oilers really got in his head this time.

Rittich does not exist in a vacuum. He exists on a team that figures Tkachuk, Anderssen(can't even spell his name he's so irrelevant) trash talking is a good idea. The Flames truly don't respect opponents. Its why they are detested, but also why they fall apart in playoff series. The Flames actually figure they are good enough to dictate terms in games. They really do believe this at times. But its a pretty normal looking squad that has more holes in it than last season. I mean they've even picked up junk like Lucic and Reider who are doing nothing.

Peplinski talked about it in the postgame analysis. That the Flames of the 80's had to have everybody rowing to have any chance against the Oilers, and to avoid being embarrassed by the Oilers. So that org sought out players with a compete level that just kept coming in the face of adversity The Flames have several players currently that don't meet that description. Really they have a lot of players that won't, or can't row. Compounded is they don't have any great players. Its a club that has to overachieve just to get to the playoffs.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
You never or hardly ever see an opposing bench taunt and mock a goalie who has just been pulled. And you usually don't see players celebrate too hard after scoring a goal when their team is already up by a bunch. But that wasn't the case last Saturday against Rittich hehe.. and I loved every single minute of it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Short version is I'm just happy all day that the Flames don't realize that Tkachuk, Rittich, Andersson taunting is just generally a bad idea that backfires and motivates opponents. They believe it works, sometimes it does, but theres a lot of costs to the approach and we saw one Saturday night.

There'd be some players on a club, and this never gets stated out of the room, that might quietly be disconcerted with all the antics. Indeed its a long list of Flame players that actually don't involve in the taunting crap. Which suggests they might not be on board with it. I don't think this Flames team is very gelled. I think theres currently confusion around who the horses are. Tkachuk ascendency in Calgary I think has come at a cost.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You never or hardly ever see an opposing bench taunt and mock a goalie who has just been pulled. And you usually don't see players celebrate too hard after scoring a goal when their team is already up by a bunch. But that wasn't the case last Saturday against Rittich hehe.. and I loved every single minute of it.

I did too. But its not the smartest thing to do either unless its the 4th win in a playoff series..

Rittich won't disappear. He won't implode. He uses anger to motivate himself. don't hand it to him.

I mean we all loved Saturday, loved the moment and the drubbing. It was one regular season game.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
His stock is massively declining after last year's playoff performance and his play this year. Total perimeter player, who seems to have lost whatever edge he had. He's got 2 more years under contract with the Flames, if I'm not mistaken, after this one. Unless his game, or more so his overall drive, magically increases I'd be shocked if he remains a Flame for that entire time. That being said, they'll be selling low on this asset.

3 years after this one.

Whoops, thought this was about Lucic for some reason...lol

Last edited:

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

I'm on the opposite side of this, I LOVED McDavid's demeanour. He scored two huge goals, and he barely celebrated. I thought that showed maturity, and was completely bad ass.

When Haas scores, and Yamamoto is talking about stick flips, look at Gulutzans face. That's the face of a father, every father knows what he's thinking there. "You'll learn what that gets you".

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Sports psychology is a weird thing, that seems to be about tying into a possibility, not a reality. A stick flip, a glare, an over celebration, a stupid play - they can all be used to conceive and achieve an outcome. But are only worth mentioning when the outcome is successful.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Martin Biron did a really good job explaining the whole celebration/emotional thing on 630ched last night.

He basically said if you want to be emotional and be outgoing/expressive or whatever, back it up with your play. Be ready to play your best against your opponents and if you don't expect the opposition to get pissed off at you when you erk them, and get steam rolled because of it, you're kind of an idiot and setting yourself up to look like an idiot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad