News Article: Shower with a Friend (but not naked)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It means the kid are naked for about 95% less time than they would otherwise.

That should be the goal, but that sounds easier said than done. Most of the predators are getting caught years later, so they wouldn't have anything on their records. And to me, the easiest way to curb locker room bullying is reduce one of the main sources of it like they're trying to do with the policy.
Pull a false number out of the hat. It wouldn't reduce 95% and you know that.

Again the issue shouldn't be looked at as the state of dress. The issue is bullying and predation. Address that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pull a false number out of the hat. It wouldn't reduce 95% and you know that.

Again the issue shouldn't be looked at as the state of dress. The issue is bullying and predation. Address that.
Well, I don't think there's a scientific study out there if you want an exact number haha. They'd be naked for two moments while getting the trunks on and off vs. being naked the entire time.

Like I said, they're targeting one of the main sources of bullying in a locker room.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, I don't think there's a scientific study out there if you want an exact number haha. They'd be naked for two moments while getting the trunks on and off vs. being naked the entire time.

Like I said, they're targeting one of the main sources of bullying in a locker room.
Citation for this. You're making it up just like Hockey Canada is doing. This as in most things is attempts at placation rather than fixing issues.

Still have no idea how you figure people are undressed 95% less time if trunks are worn in shower. Do you think players take half hour showers? lol

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Come dressed in your gear, shower in a swimsuit (lol) and change in a dirty tiny toilet stall, all while being under watchful supervision.

All in the name of woke “safe spaces” “inclusivity” and “equity”. Common sense need not apply.

The idiots running Hockey Canada are now more worried about getting pats on the back from the vocal minority professionally outraged purple haired mob on Twitter and the media who manufacture outrage for clicks and ad revenue than running an actual hockey program.

Hopefully leagues including EMHA tell them to f*** off and go independent.
That’s a lot of buzz words

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Citation for this. You're making it up just like Hockey Canada is doing. This as in most things is attempts at placation rather than fixing issues.

Still have no idea how you figure people are undressed 95% less time if trunks are worn in shower. Do you think players take half hour showers? lol
Well how long does it take to put on swim trunks? Haha. Like 5 seconds? 10? Then how long does it take to dry your junk and put something on? 20 seconds?

That’s 80% less if my math is right on a two minute shower. I don’t know if that really changes my point haha.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is their any thought to these new policies increasing personal hygiene problems and skin diseases, infections, rashes and the like? Several conditions exist wherein not drying under region sufficiently will create problems. Imagine going to shower with swimtrunks on then putting our clothes back on over those soaking wet things. Unless one is going home immediately this will introduce moisture to nether regions for the rest of ones day, and a miserable experience. Showering and not drying is about as bad as not even showering after hockey.

It would even seem that better, not worse hygiene would be something to be furthered in hockey wherein the average gym bag is a biological experiment.
Anyone thinking that asking 20 kids to change in a single hockey bathroom stall (twice, into the swim trunks and then out) is a good idea likely hasn’t seen what a disgusting mess the shitter is when you are team # 10 to use the room that day. Many rinks only have one shared stall to use for both teams, which adds to the fun.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

That should be the goal, but that sounds easier said than done. Most of the predators are getting caught years later, so they wouldn't have anything on their records. And to me, the easiest way to curb locker room bullying is reduce one of the main sources of it like they're trying to do with the policy.
I, in no way condone hazing, bullying or any other douchy behaviour by adults on kids or kids on other kids but how far do you have to go to try to reduce the possibility? There becomes a point of absurdity that HC has crossed. Someone please explain how wearing sports underwear to the rink under clothing or showering bathing suits is going to eliminate people from bullying others If that is what they are going to do?

There is no way you will eliminate the possibility of it occurring. If not here, then the bullying will occur somewhere else. Again, not saying that’s right, but it’s reality. If we as a society believe that we can successfully eradicate all harmful actions that will brought upon children we are f***ing clueless.

This policy is brought to us by the same folks that beleive participation ribbons should be mandatory in every childrens’ activity because they think it promotes a more egalitarian outcome. Sorry folks, life is all about winning and losing. The people that learn those lessons early and learn how to adapt and evolve are those that succeed.

Messed up.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
This whole debate quickly shows how bad HC screwed this up and lost the plot on an important conversation.

We know that historically there have been issues with a horrible locker room culture that has damaged children. We also know it has likely cleaned up but that it’s not done yet, since there are enough current coaches out there who grew up in that culture and still think people need to toughen up and the kids will deal with it. So we need to figure it how to change that( and trust me the Respect in Sports modules they force us coaches to take will not solve it).

In addition, we also know there are some challenges for kids who may be going through some things with the changing room environment. That gets to the heart of inclusive policies.

So the hockey Canada response to these issues is to release a poorly drafted policy that isn’t practical to implement (thus not solving the problem and creating a new one where coaches like me will find themselves violating a policy meaning one complaint and my coaching career is done). It also serves to further wedge people on this issue.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well how long does it take to put on swim trunks? Haha. Like 5 seconds? 10? Then how long does it take to dry your junk and put something on? 20 seconds?

That’s 80% less if my math is right on a two minute shower. I don’t know if that really changes my point haha.
How do you even wash your junk with trunks on? A whole lot of jock itch incoming. Just stupid, stupid, stupid. Complete overreach so they think they can pat themselves on the back that they've more than addressed the problems they've allowed for the last 40 years. Set logic back 100 years. Gawd, I'm glad I'm not a coach today, and my kids have all gone through the system long ago. But I fear for my grandchildren.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Exactly. It seems pretty simple. Why not do whatever it takes to get rid of avenues toward that behaviour?

And it’s not just coaches, obviously, that make players uncomfortable. It’s other kids as well.

It wasn’t that long ago hazing was just “boys being boys”.

But I fear for my grandchildren.

I’m sure showering with shorts on or at home will be quite the hardship for them.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
How do you even wash your junk with trunks on? A whole lot of jock itch incoming. Just stupid, stupid, stupid. Complete overreach so they think they can pat themselves on the back that they've more than addressed the problems they've allowed for the last 40 years. Set logic back 100 years. Gawd, I'm glad I'm not a coach today, and my kids have all gone through the system long ago. But I fear for my grandchildren.
Honestly the shower thing is a massive red herring to some extent. Many, many rinks the kids play in either have no Showers or they are so brutal they never get used. I’m coaching at year 2 of U18( mid tier) and maybe, MAYBE have had 2 or 3 kids ever shower at the rink I’m about 10 years Of my kid going through the age groups.

Reactions: harpoon

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Frankly, venues with showers should be forced to set up change stalls and shower stalls whether they be pools, rec centres or sports arenas. I don't see why people should be forced to change around others, or be forced to be around others who are changing. I have a vivid memory of getting an eye full of old man sack at the Millwoods Rec Centre changing room from when I was a kid. I'm not traumatized or whatever by it, but I don't see why I should have to remember that shit 20+ years later.

"Put on a swim suit", though, seems dumb.

Reactions: Oilhawks

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Exactly. It seems pretty simple. Why not do whatever it takes to get rid of avenues toward that behaviour?

And it’s not just coaches, obviously, that make players uncomfortable. It’s other kids as well.

It wasn’t that long ago hazing was just “boys being boys”.

I’m sure showering with shorts on or at home will be quite the hardship for them.
I think we should stop all childrens’ extracurricular activities including sports, school your kids at home exclusively to eliminate any negative environmental/societal interactions. That is the best way to ensure they are protected from this type of bullying, or any other questionable influences.

Only through these effective measures of isolation will society and civilization continue to thrive.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

• Haha

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There will be an awkward transition phase for the next handful of years but I imagine this will eventually just lead to arenas being retrofitted/built with individual stalls for showering/changing.

A lot of you seem outraged for the sake of being outraged. If these changes make even 5% of kids more comfortable being in the locker room isn’t that worth a little bit of inconvenience? Why are so many of you upset at the prospect of kids being less naked around each other?

Reactions: Seachd

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I think we should stop all childrens’ extracurricular activities including sports, school your kids at home exclusively to eliminate any negative environmental/societal interactions. That is the best way to ensure they are protected from this type of bullying, or any other questionable influences.

Only through these effective measures of isolation will society and civilization continue to thrive.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Ok, but you know why that's comparing apples to bricks, right?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Honestly the shower thing is a massive red herring to some extent. Many, many rinks the kids play in either have no Showers or they are so brutal they never get used. I’m coaching at year 2 of U18( mid tier) and maybe, MAYBE have had 2 or 3 kids ever shower at the rink I’m about 10 years Of my kid going through the age groups.
It seems weird, but in general what I noticed about my son as he went from lower tiers to higher ones, was that the kids in the higher tiers always showered. Maybe cause they were in suits?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I guess you won't be able to get the shower room all steamed up and the floor soaped up in order to spin and slide from wall to wall in a crazy hilarious fashion until the rink guy has to kick you all out.
It does not sound crazy hilarious to some parents which is why this rule is placed..
A teenager shouldn't have to look at another's junk ever!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If these changes make even 5% of kids more comfortable being in the locker room isn’t that worth a little bit of inconvenience?
I disagree with your idea that 5% of kids being more comfortable is worth making these kinds of changes for. However, I do accept that others feel differently, and therefore I would like to respect your feelings on this. What I take exception to, and what belittles your own argument, is the phrase ‘a little bit of inconvenience’. It isn’t ‘a little bit’. Why not argue in good faith? Many kids don’t go straight home after practice. They have plans with friends and family. Out for lunch and so on. You are saying that spending hours in sweaty, smelly hockey undergarments is a small thing. Why not acknowledge that it’s a major inconvenience (to the vast majority of players) to not at least be able to strip down, towel off and put on clean, dry undergarments?
Why are so many of you upset at the prospect of kids being less naked around each other?
Again. This is not a good faith argument. You are just belittling an opposing point of view by intentionally misrepresenting what others have posted. In an ideal world rinks would be retrofitted as you suggest. And every child would be able to change in a clean dry stall. Lots of jurisdictions don’t have the $ for that though (as you well know) so that could lead to another potential issue where kids in rich communities get slick facilities and others get left behind wearing wet underpants for half the day. And I know how you would feel about that.
A teenager shouldn't have to look at another's junk ever!
More misframing of the issue. I played hockey all my life. I always took off my layer of under gear, dried off and put on clean dry underpants and T-shirt. I wasn’t attempting to look at anyone else’s junk and I don’t recall anyone staring at mine. It literally takes one minute.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I disagree with your idea that 5% of kids being more comfortable is worth making these kinds of changes for. However, I do accept that others feel differently, and therefore I would like to respect your feelings on this. What I take exception to, and what belittles your own argument, is the phrase ‘a little bit of inconvenience’. It isn’t ‘a little bit’. Why not argue in good faith? Many kids don’t go straight home after practice. They have plans with friends and family. Out for lunch and so on. You are saying that spending hours in sweaty, smelly hockey undergarments is a small thing. Why not acknowledge that it’s a major inconvenience (to the vast majority of players) to not at least be able to strip down, towel off and put on clean, dry undergarments?

Again. This is not a good faith argument. You are just belittling an opposing point of view by intentionally misrepresenting what others have posted. In an ideal world rinks would be retrofitted as you suggest. And every child would be able to change in a clean dry stall. Lots of jurisdictions don’t have the $ for that though (as you well know) so that could lead to another potential issue where kids in rich communities get slick facilities and others get left behind wearing wet underpants for half the day. And I know how you would feel about that.

More misframing of the issue. I played hockey all my life. I always took off my layer of under gear, dried off and put on clean dry underpants and T-shirt. I wasn’t attempting to look at anyone else’s junk and I don’t recall anyone staring at mine. It literally takes one minute.

I don't think there's anything in the policy that says kids can't change after the game.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Is their any thought to these new policies increasing personal hygiene problems and skin diseases, infections, rashes and the like?
Apparently that issue has been considered and dismissed.

“(Craig) Robinson (president of Halifax Hawks Minor Hockey) admits there has been some pushback from parents to the Hockey Canada change. He says they have legitimate hygiene concerns when it comes to sweaty and smelly under gear being worn to and from the rink. But he says it is a small price to pay to make sure that hockey is inclusive for everybody.”

So there you go. A ‘small price’. A ‘minor inconvenience’.

Quote taken from the article below.

I don't think there's anything in the policy that says kids can't change after the game.
Sure, you’re right. They can change in a toilet stall with water and piss all over the floor. See the article I just linked.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Apparently that issue has been considered and dismissed.

“(Craig) Robinson (president of Halifax Hawks Minor Hockey) admits there has been some pushback from parents to the Hockey Canada change. He says they have legitimate hygiene concerns when it comes to sweaty and smelly under gear being worn to and from the rink. But he says it is a small price to pay to make sure that hockey is inclusive for everybody.”

So there you go. A ‘small price’. A ‘minor inconvenience’.

At most levels, probably 90% of kids don’t shower anyway. For those who do, this policy doesn’t stop them.

A “minor inconvenience” at the absolute most.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There will be an awkward transition phase for the next handful of years but I imagine this will eventually just lead to arenas being retrofitted/built with individual stalls for showering/changing.

A lot of you seem outraged for the sake of being outraged. If these changes make even 5% of kids more comfortable being in the locker room isn’t that worth a little bit of inconvenience? Why are so many of you upset at the prospect of kids being less naked around each other?
Its funny how the poster saying others are outraged is grinding the usual axe.

At what point did it become strange to shower in a locker room after sports?

In Elementary school even we would go to a local pool, there was a change room. All the kids were told to shower before and after swimming and everybody did the post shower with no clothes on. So that somehow its completely normal in one venue, a swimming pool or rec center etc, but somehow due to Hockey Canada losing their minds its "oh noes we can't have this.

[MOD]

In case it needs to be noted the people losing their minds all the time are the very vocal, and very small activists constantly clamoring everything has to be done their way. Almost all of us see it as such anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At most levels, probably 90% of kids don’t shower anyway. For those who do, this policy doesn’t stop them.

A “minor inconvenience” at the absolute most.
Another lol made up stat. Keep searching.

Try to find one sporting or rec facility anywhere where only 10% of the users shower. Holy crap, wouldn't want be in that rink or on the ride home where your kids smell as bad as their equipment bags....."Sorry sonny, No McDonalds on the way home you friggen stink." ;)

jk aside anybody that doesn't shower after sport is looking for health problems.

Oh and heres a grassroots article and poll. Only 23% of parents in support of the new directive.

The comments are good too. My favorite one:

"So players are required to shower with their clothes on or not shower at all. I feel sorry for the parents having to drive a couple hours home from an away game with a group of teenagers ripe with B O"

This comment was interesting too and one of the things I thought about:

Boy this sure sounds a lot like blaming the girl's clothing for "asking for it". We need to be clear that being assaulted is not the kid's fault, it is the adult's fault. Really Hockey Canada?

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
In Elementary school even we would go to a local pool, there was a change room. All the kids were told to shower before and after swimming and everybody did the post shower with no clothes on. So that somehow its completely normal in one venue, a swimming pool or rec center etc, but somehow due to Hockey Canada losing their minds its "oh noes we can't have this.

I wonder why it's so difficult for some to realize that "when I was young we did this" doesn't matter at all.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad