News Article: Shower with a Friend (but not naked)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Can anyone that is brighter than me help me understand how an 16 year old (or any age for that matter) who is expected to wear a suit to games can wear their hockey underwear under their suit? Even if not wearing a suit, this is idiotic. I played what was Tom Thumb hockey in the 1960s and that was the only league that I recall getting dressed at home. Once we grew up you dressed at the rink.

And if “changing clothes in the change room” is now verboten, how do the players get out of their gear and underwear to get into their swimsuit on so they can shower as per Hockey Canada‘s new requirements.

And then they wonder why teams and leagues are breaking away from Hockey Canada to go independent? What a bunch of clowns.

Is this happening in other sports like minor football? In youth swimming do they have to change out of their swimsuit to wear a second swimsuit to shower in after a swim meet?

Hockey Canada: Don’t shower naked— Postmedia Network

Edmonton Sun
Oct 06, 2023

NORTH BAY — Hockey Canada wants minor hockey players to wear bathing suits while showering in an open-concept shower and they must wear a base layer before getting into their hockey equipment in the arena dressing room.

The new dressing room rules were released Sept. 12 and apply to all minor hockey teams sanctioned by Hockey Canada.

In North Bay, city Councillor Justine Mallah said staff will create private spaces in the northern Ontario city’s arenas by installing rods and curtains in rooms without doors.

The new policy affects players right up to the under-18 age division.

Hockey Canada is asking players who want to shower to use a private washroom stall to change out of their base layer and into their swimwear before using the shower.

Coaches and team staff must supervise the dressing room while participants are showering. Hockey players who don’t want to wear the base layer, such as shorts and T-shirt, under their hockey equipment will be required to change in a private space. Hockey Canada says the new model is meant to create safe, inclusive and equitable dressing room environments.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I thought it means you come to the rink with your hockey gonch on and you don't take it off unless you're in a changing room or bathroom.

I don't think this will be a big deal.. They just want to stop people from fingering each others bums like I've heard jokes about from the AAA kids on their weekend trips.
All those kids in school were creeps or jerks.. I played the cheapest Tier (3) and there was no gross stuff, then again we didn't do those motel/hotel trips. I found the cost of high Tier/Rep hockey in Edmonton a huge scam. Still is 20 years later..

I was nominated/awarded the unofficial best body title for 6 years in a row. That can't happen if you have to be tarped up the whole time! Guys with ripped bods won't get the extra confidence they need to keep working out :(

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Come dressed in your gear, shower in a swimsuit (lol) and change in a dirty tiny toilet stall, all while being under watchful supervision.

All in the name of woke “safe spaces” “inclusivity” and “equity”. Common sense need not apply.

The idiots running Hockey Canada are now more worried about getting pats on the back from the vocal minority professionally outraged purple haired mob on Twitter and the media who manufacture outrage for clicks and ad revenue than running an actual hockey program.

Hopefully leagues including EMHA tell them to f*** off and go independent.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Come dressed in your gear, shower in a swimsuit (lol) and change in a dirty tiny toilet stall, all while being under watchful supervision.

All in the name of woke “safe spaces” “inclusivity” and “equity”. Common sense need not apply.

The idiots running Hockey Canada are now more worried about getting pats on the back from the vocal minority professionally outraged purple haired mob on Twitter and the media who manufacture outrage for clicks and ad revenue than running an actual hockey program.

This article pretty much says the same.
Hockey Canada is doing something literally no one asked for. No community is asking for this too be done. There is so many issues in youth hockey and this solves absolutely none of them.
The only people to be mad at for this is hockey Canada. No one else has really anything to do with this.

Like they are coming up with an issue to solve a problem for. Hell the proper solution always was to have a few private change stalls and showers for the kids who didn’t want to change in front of the others for various reasons.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Saw a post that made a good point.
Hockey Canada puts this rule in place knowing full well it’s nonsense and saying it’s “up to the teams to enforce themselves” so most teams just won’t do it. So if there is any locker room related incidents, Hockey Canada won’t be liable and they can just wipe their hands and go “well we did what we could”.

Probably something they had to do to help keep their insurance down. I mean shit they have a fund to quietly play off sexual assault victims in hockey.

This is just hockey Canada doing something dumb so they don’t have to actually work to fix real problems.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This article pretty much says the same.
Hockey Canada is doing something literally no one asked for. No community is asking for this too be done. There is so many issues in youth hockey and this solves absolutely none of them.
The only people to be mad at for this is hockey Canada. No one else has really anything to do with this.

Like they are coming up with an issue to solve a problem for. Hell the proper solution always was to have a few private change stalls and showers for the kids who didn’t want to change in front of the others for various reasons.

It's a pre-emptive ass covering exercise that isn't necessary.

If they mandate clothing at all times in dressing rooms how can anyone implicate them or blame them in any future assault allegations if they banned any form of nudity in the dressing room? The "inclusion" piece is just killing two birds with one stone.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Saw a post that made a good point.
Hockey Canada puts this rule in place knowing full well it’s nonsense and saying it’s “up to the teams to enforce themselves” so most teams just won’t do it. So if there is any locker room related incidents, Hockey Canada won’t be liable and they can just wipe their hands and go “well we did what we could”.

Probably something they had to do to help keep their insurance down. I mean shit they have a fund to quietly play off sexual assault victims in hockey.

This is just hockey Canada doing something dumb so they don’t have to actually work to fix real problems.
Except that the coaches will still be under HCs authority, even if they ignore the policy. So HC can’t absolve itself of the liability. 1st question a lawyer will ask is “what reasonable steps did you take to ensure your policy was followed”. Ugh, we didn’t…

HC seems like it’s creating a smokescreen for all their other organizational and legal issues. Just a pathetic organization and leadership.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's a pre-emptive ass covering exercise that isn't necessary.

If they mandate clothing at all times in dressing rooms how can anyone implicate them or blame them in any future assault allegations if they banned any form of nudity in the dressing room? The "inclusion" piece is just killing two birds with one stone.
The “inclusion” piece is just hockey Canada attempting to direct the outrage at those communities rather than themselves.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
If only humans were more evolved all of these problems would go away. Maybe a third eye?

I’ve coached about 150+ seasons and I only really saw problems one time with a co coach. What I saw is that many may have saw problems but persisted because they wanted the club spot. No first team spot is worth any of this sort of “compensation” in fact it belies it. Chose being healthy and fair. You won’t be victimized by charlatans and predators.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I guess you won't be able to get the shower room all steamed up and the floor soaped up in order to spin and slide from wall to wall in a crazy hilarious fashion until the rink guy has to kick you all out.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
HC is absolutely paranoid and gunshy after all the shit that's gone down in the last few years, and are obviously over-reacting, hoping stuff like this will suddenly get them back in the good books.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
HC is absolutely paranoid and gunshy after all the shit that's gone down in the last few years, and are obviously over-reacting, hoping stuff like this will suddenly get them back in the good books.
!00%. I had been involved in minor hockey for about 10 years. Its idiotic. I "get" if there is a mixed team. And if there is they gotta figure out a way that makes sense to everyone.
But this is beyond any real common sense & its using a sledgehammer to kill an ant..

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Maybe in the end this will be for the best, the final straw that takes this dinosaur of an organization behind the barn and puts it to sleep. What a bizarre and mind numbingly stupid decision. Puts coaches in a brutal position that nobody wants, the coaches or the players.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maybe in the end this will be for the best, the final straw that takes this dinosaur of an organization behind the barn and puts it to sleep. What a bizarre and mind numbingly stupid decision. Puts coaches in a brutal position that nobody wants, the coaches or the players.

Hockey Canada needs to be taken behind the barn and shot. Put it out of its misery. Please.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I have no problem with this whatsoever. If it helps make dressing rooms at all more comfortable for kids (which it definitely will), then it’s worth it. If it makes old dinosaurs grumble, even better.

The president of Hocky Edmonton was on the radio and said, paraphrased: The policy is black and white, but Hockey Canada left lots of flexibility in how to implement it. The policy is just catching up to our social environment.

Reactions: Spawn

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I have no problem with this whatsoever. If it helps make dressing rooms at all more comfortable for kids (which it definitely will), then it’s worth it. If it makes old dinosaurs grumble, even better.

The president of Hocky Edmonton was on the radio and said, paraphrased: The policy is black and white, but Hockey Canada left lots of flexibility in how to implement it. The policy is just catching up to our social environment.
Lol. How prescient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad