Should we trade one of our defenseman this year to avoid them getting exp drafted?

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
I feel like whoever doesn't get protected between buff, trouba, Toby and Myers is almost guaranteed to get snatched up. If we have to keep buff and Toby due to their no move, is trading Myers or trouba this off-season the smart thing to do? I'm hopeful that we could trade up our pick to Edmonton for theirs (assuming they land a top 3) since they need forwards like a hole in the head, and could probably still draft chych or joelevi.

Anyways, would it be dumb to NOT move either Myers or trouba?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Toby is worth about half the salary he is being paid, time to punt him!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I would rather get something for Enstrom than risk losing him for nothing in the expansion draft. I can't see the team protecting him next year given his age and given that he'd only have one year left on his term.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed, but we don't know all the rules yet with NMC. Do we HAVE to protect him because he has a NMC ? Or maybe because he has a NMC, we don't have to protect him and he's safe anyway ? Or maybe NMCs are voided for the expansion draft and we'd still need to protect him even though he has a NMC ? Anyways, hard to decide if a trade is the smart thing to do until we know all the rules.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
This is assuming expansion is a go. Maybe it doesn't happen but if it does, Yeah i'd strongly consider moving one of Myers or Enstrom for sure.

Not willing to move Trouba tho.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Full NMC - he'd have to be willing to waive. Buys Stu another year on the blueline probably. Seems like they'd be shooting themselves in the both feet there...

And the Jets don't need to move anyone really. Dano would probably be the best F left unprotected if the Jets chose to protect 4D and 4F. You'd protect Wheeler, Scheifele, Little and maybe Perreault - or if you're not re-signing him, protect Dano and let Perreault be exposed to the expansion draft as a pending UFA.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Nobody really has any clue on what the expansion draft will be like, if there even is one, judging by what Chipman said on H and L, he hasn't even really been presented with an expansion proposal yet so really, this topic is way 2 early. Thought we'd know by June if expansion in 2017 was a go or not, still a couple months away but when the Owner of the team basically says, he has no idea what the process will be like, these topics are a bit premature.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Myers is the 4th best defenseman on the team. The only reason to trade Enström before him is because Myers is younger, but he's hardly a spring chicken himself, at this point.

That is patently false. He may not score anymore (umm, some real powerplay time would help with that, especially if he's on a team that can score on the powerplay), but he's the best shot suppressor on the team and in the top 15-20 in the league.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wondered this myself. If the rules on the expansion draft stay the same, there's hardly going to be a team in the league with four top four defensemen. Wild likely get one poached. Rangers, Pens, Caps, I dunno how many others.

Enstrom would be the one to try to trade with his age and contract. But he'd need to okay it meaning we are probably dealing with one or two teams.

Myers might make sense to deal if it was for an already drafted defense prospect or futures. Depends on what our pool looks like this July.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The expansion team is going to pick 30 players. Two goalies, leaving 28. How many defencemen are they going to pick? Maybe 10? How many teams in the league have a better top 4 D than the Jets (in the eyes of the expansion team)? If the answer is 10 teams or more, Jets might be safe on D. Or might not. I'm not too worried about it. Every team is going to get shafted to some extent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The expansion team is going to pick 30 players. Two goalies, leaving 28. How many defencemen are they going to pick? Maybe 10? How many teams in the league have a better top 4 D than the Jets (in the eyes of the expansion team)? If the answer is 10 teams or more, Jets might be safe on D. Or might not. I'm not too worried about it. Every team is going to get shafted to some extent.

If the Jets need to leave one of their top-3 RHD available for the expansion draft, then they would definitely get taken (Buff, Trouba or Myers). I think it might factor into trade decisions for the Jets. If they can move Enstrom, they might need to consider that. You also have to wonder if they might consider moving Myers or Trouba and really reshape their D, if they don't see Trouba on LD for the foreseeable future.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If the Jets need to leave one of their top-3 RHD available for the expansion draft, then they would definitely get taken (Buff, Trouba or Myers). I think it might factor into trade decisions for the Jets. If they can move Enstrom, they might need to consider that. You also have to wonder if they might consider moving Myers or Trouba and really reshape their D, if they don't see Trouba on LD for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, you're probably right. If I had to lose one of those three it would be Myers (via pre-emptive trade if possible). I might rather lose Myers than Enstrom too.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Myers is the 4th best defenseman on the team. The only reason to trade Enström before him is because Myers is younger, but he's hardly a spring chicken himself, at this point.

That is patently false. He may not score anymore (umm, some real powerplay time would help with that, especially if he's on a team that can score on the powerplay), but he's the best shot suppressor on the team and in the top 15-20 in the league.

My bad, I forgot Enstrom is the guy when out of the lineup, the teams wins more without than with!;)

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
once the rules are hammered out, we will likely see all the teams that are friendly (us and Chicago for example) will be working to be sure that stuff works out best for the teams.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
My bad, I forgot Enstrom is the guy when out of the lineup, the teams wins more without than with!;)

That's a really bad way to come to conclusions. There are way too many variables and the sample size is way too small.

A player who outscores their opponents contributes to wins, this shouldn't be controversial.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I feel like whoever doesn't get protected between buff, trouba, Toby and Myers is almost guaranteed to get snatched up. If we have to keep buff and Toby due to their no move, is trading Myers or trouba this off-season the smart thing to do? I'm hopeful that we could trade up our pick to Edmonton for theirs (assuming they land a top 3) since they need forwards like a hole in the head, and could probably still draft chych or joelevi.

Anyways, would it be dumb to NOT move either Myers or trouba?

I don't think you'd need to add the Jets pick to Trouba to get the Oilers pick. It'd be 1-for-1, Trouba for 2nd or 3rd overall. 1st overall is hard to say what the add is. There's a premium just for the notoriety. Someone suggested that deal in the draft thread and I have to say, I really think it helps both teams. Jets pick up a top forward prospect and then use their own pick to grab one of Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev. Then the top 4 is set and balanced with Buff, Myers, Morrissey and Enstrom (to eventually be replaced by that Jets D pick). Oilers get their young top defender. I'm typically completely against trading Trouba, but that seems like a good deal and one that helps Edmonton too.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I keep asking this, but no one ever replies... Maybe you will Sip...

Enstrom's even strength (5v5) goals +/-: +15
^best on Jets, with only one other defender above +5

Enstrom's all mintues goals +/-: +22
^2nd best on Jets, only Byfuglien ahead (+65) or above +10

Overall, Jets have controlled 51.9% of goals with Enstrom on the ice, and outscore the opposition by 22 goals.
Overall, Jets have controlled 47.2% of goals with Enstrom on the bench, and were outscored by 46 goals.

Using "we win more without that player" is already a very stupid argument, as it has issues with multiple factors... That said, in this case it is even more foolish.

Why are you blaming the player sitting on the bench for the Jets getting outscored, which leads to the losing record???

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I keep asking this, but no one ever replies... Maybe you will Sip...

Enstrom's even strength (5v5) goals +/-: +15
^best on Jets, with only one other defender above +5

Enstrom's all mintues goals +/-: +22
^2nd best on Jets, only Byfuglien ahead (+65) or above +10

Overall, Jets have controlled 51.9% of goals with Enstrom on the ice, and outscore the opposition by 22 goals.
Overall, Jets have controlled 47.2% of goals with Enstrom on the bench, and were outscored by 46 goals.

Using "we win more without that player" is already a very stupid argument, as it has issues with multiple factors... That said, in this case it is even more foolish.

Why are you blaming the player sitting on the bench for the Jets getting outscored, which leads to the losing record???

Perhaps it's just his very PRESENCE on the bench that causes goals to be scored against the Jets! :sarcasm:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
You know it's almost guaranteed we lose a player in an expansion draft. The team gets to draft 30 players, there are 30 teams in the league...

We're going to lose "someone". All you can do is protect your most important players and prepare to say goodbye to someone.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
You know it's almost guaranteed we lose a player in an expansion draft. The team gets to draft 30 players, there are 30 teams in the league...

We're going to lose "someone". All you can do is protect your most important players and prepare to say goodbye to someone.

I thought it actually was guaranteed, as in, you can only lose 1 player via expansion draft

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I posted this earlier, but to me, it really comes down to me what the org thinks they want to do with Enstrom in 2018. He'll be 33 in November of that season, and if the org doesn't think he's a guy they want to re-sign, or think it won't fit their structure, I don't see why you wouldn't be proactive and move him prior to the expansion draft. Protecting Enstrom (if you already think you're moving on) causes you to expose 3 more young players than you'd otherwise have to.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I posted this earlier, but to me, it really comes down to me what the org thinks they want to do with Enstrom in 2018. He'll be 33 in November of that season, and if the org doesn't think he's a guy they want to re-sign, or think it won't fit their structure, I don't see why you wouldn't be proactive and move him prior to the expansion draft. Protecting Enstrom (if you already think you're moving on) causes you to expose 3 more young players than you'd otherwise have to.

Thinking about it a bit further, but even if your open to keeping him. How attractive is Enstrom to an expansion team. He would have 1 year left on his deal and as you say will be closing in on his mid 30's. Exposing him might be a smart move if you don't think there is much chance he gets drafted.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Sure, it would probably be ideal for the Jets to move him before the expansion draft, but you're going to have an already small pool (teams that Enstrom will waive for) made even smaller by the number of teams both willing to trade for him and willing to protect him from the expansion draft. I haven't been through every other team's list of players they'll need to protect, but I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual solution to that equation is 0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad