Kings Article: Should We Really Be Surprised That Dustin Brown Remains Goalless?

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Before the season started we heard all about the new training of Dustin Brown.

We heard about the nutritionist, the new workout regimen, and the off-season commitment made by the Kings captain to better himself. More importantly, it was meant to better his numbers. The same numbers that have looked incredibly disjointed when compared to the amount of money he is adding to the Kings' cap.

So far this year, No. 23 has been put in the best possible position to succeed. He started the season briefly on the third line, but was quickly elevated to the Kings top line alongside Kopitar and Gaborik. He is getting the fourth most time on ice amongst Kings forwards behind Kopitar, Carter, and Toffoli (Thank god). He is also fourth on the team in average powerplay time behind Kopitar, Carter, and Gaborik.

The result so far?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jaso...-That-Dustin-Brown-Remains-Goalless/179/72250

Always look forward to discussion! Thanks everyone!

I am still scratching my eyes at that 168 (Now 169) games with one powerplay goal number to be honest...

Last edited:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It is surprising he hasn't gotten one bounce or an empty netter.

Having said that Lewis or King (with the broken foot) scoring more goals then Brown this year wouldn't surprise me.

Apparently getting in shape and trying hard wasn't what was wrong with his game.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
All the off season commitment and training in world won't help to improve poor hockey IQ. So no, not surprised in the least.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Let's math it out a little.

Brownie is on pace for 300(!!!) shots on goal.

At his career average, 9.6%, that would be good for 28 goals.

At his worst (real, discounting 31 game rookie season), 5.8%, that would be good for 17 goals.

At his current, 0% ... :sarcasm:

Even last night he was generating, just getting nothing. Freaking off the post right in front, and toffoli got stuffed by allen on a beautiful pass.

I dunno, I think it's one part decline, two parts snakebit. I think he's a guy that's gonna pop something silly like 10 goals in 15-20 games and settle out at like 20...feels 2012-ish where he's just gripping too tight and nothing goes in for him until the trade rumors start and he bullrushes the net.

I agree that there are lower quality shots than early in his career due to the puck possession, fling pucks system, when before, he was at the net mouth for kopi tap ins and pp stuff...less net front play now...needs to be there. But I think it's in him, he's certainly not toast, he's flying out there.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Do we really need another one of these threads?

I'm sure all the former Mike Richards fanboys will be in here soon to bash away.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Last night was probably the closest he has come. Probably should have scored if not for some tough luck

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think he's made strides to be back in shape for this season and has put in the effort on the ice, with the exception of last night against The Blues.

The dude couldn't hold onto the puck for the life of him. Cringe worthy.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jaso...-That-Dustin-Brown-Remains-Goalless/179/72250

Always look forward to discussion! Thanks everyone!

I am still scratching my eyes at that 168 (Now 169) games with one powerplay goal number to be honest...

That really sticks out, you'd think a puck would hit a body part and bounce in...he's usually near the net.

I thought he'd have success this year being put back in a position to succeed, where he did in the past, on the top line with finishers. And I still think he will. Part of that is his linemates, Kopi has 4 pts in 12 games and Gabby's been brutal, only 2 pts. are not playing up to par and that's tied to his numbers. The 18 Million dollar line isn't producing like one.
He's part of a line that is struggling. WHen they get going, he'll be a part of that. And the goals will come

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Without a single goal? Yes. A low amount of goals? No. He's now got 26 goals in his last 173 regular season games, only 2 of which are on the PP. That's working on 12 goals per 82 games.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Only a matter of time I think. Brown is doing everything right, they are just not going in.

His effort is there nightly.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Only a matter of time I think. Brown is doing everything right, they are just not going in.

His effort is there nightly.

And I hate that it is purely because it makes it hard to see him NOT score.

No knock against his effort AT ALL. Things just aren't happening offensively.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Brown has turned into Lewis. Good speed, hustle, and attitude, but a poor shot and not much for hands. I don't think he ever cracks 20 goals again. He had his career PPG stretch over the latter half of 2012. He even looked good in 2013, but it's all been downhill since. I don't know why some people are still expecting this dramatic turnaround in production. Guy just doesn't have it anymore.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brown has turned into Lewis. Good speed, hustle, and attitude, but a poor shot and not much for hands. I don't think he ever cracks 20 goals again. He had his career PPG stretch over the latter half of 2012. He even looked good in 2013, but it's all been downhill since. I don't know why some people are still expecting this dramatic turnaround in production. Guy just doesn't have it anymore.

I dunno about dramatic, but mostly because all the indicators are extremely positive. That showed up in this article, in the other referenced JFTC article, and even when I did my own examination in the other Brown thread. Players can fall off a cliff, but a guy doesn't just randomly drop 9% shooting percentage, his play is passing the eye test as a guy who is offensively doing the right things and should be rewarded soon (just as Kopitar's zero assists isnt' going to stay that way all yearr).

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He's not.

It's just been my observation that Brown's biggest critics tend to be people who were big Mike Richards fans, which I find to be a bit hypocritical.

Well if those posters are going to defend Richards I would guess they'd have to defend Brown's lack of production as well.

I never thought much of Brown's hockey skills, he usually was at his best when he kept his game simple, crashing the net, driving the puck to the net, going into the hard areas and retrieving pucks -- pretty much all the things that made him an effective player.

He is no longer good at any of that and has become ineffective with the puck. He has become the black hole of offense. While the effort is there, he's not being paid to be a grinder like Trevor Lewis.

His long distance shots are weak and more often than not he mishandles and loses the puck. He's always been inconsistent offensively, we had these talks about him back when he was chipping in with 20+ goals and 50+ points. Now he may not even be able to match half of those goals/points.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well if those posters are going to defend Richards I would guess they'd have to defend Brown's lack of production as well.

I never thought much of Brown's hockey skills, he usually was at his best when he kept his game simple, crashing the net, driving the puck to the net, going into the hard areas and retrieving pucks -- pretty much all the things that made him an effective player.

He is no longer good at any of that and has become ineffective with the puck. He has become the black hole of offense. While the effort is there, he's not being paid to be a grinder like Trevor Lewis.

His long distance shots are weak and more often than not he mishandles and loses the puck. He's always been inconsistent offensively, we had these talks about him back when he was chipping in with 20+ goals and 50+ points. Now he may not even be able to match half of those goals/points.

It's not like he's never had touch. It's true he's always been a banger, but he's produced at every level, and was taken high in the 1st round for a reason.

It's also hard to produce points on this Kings team, I think that has to account for something.

I concede Brown's game has changed/declined. In addition to what you mentioned, he also doesn't hit like he used to, or draw penalties. Most scoring forwards go through a transition phase at some point in their career, where they can no longer rely on the methods they've always used (usually because of age), and have to adjust their game in order to keep producing offense. Some players make that transition successfully, some don't. I have faith in Brown because he cares, and he puts in the effort, he'll eventually figure it out.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
To me, Brown leads the team in shots because he too eager to shoot, and from almost anywhere and in any position, such as while falling. He needs to just slow everything down in his mind a bit, loosen his grip, and even pause a little bit, even if it's five seconds, every one is yelling shoooooot, and it gets knocked off his stick. He needs to acquire a sense of calmness to his game, and they'll start going in, and on far fewer shots.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think a lot has to do with Kopitar too. When was the last time you Kopitar set up Brown or Gabby with a good pass in a scoring area? He seems to be content with parking his ass on the wall and trying to set up the offense from there. The best passer on that line this season has been Brown, doing all the work Kopitar should be doing.

Ron*

He's not.

It's just been my observation that Brown's biggest critics tend to be people who were big Mike Richards fans, which I find to be a bit hypocritical.

Got to have a scapegoat. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the Kings board.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Think Brown's troubles go deeper than him not going to the scoring areas, I think it's just his hands that are completely gone. He's fighting the puck every step of the way, struggling to maintain possession on the boards and to make tape to tape passes, rarely makes a good tip. His shot has gone away completely. He never had a consistently great shot but he had a pretty good one, now it's weak and inaccurate. Some of it is a confidence issue I'm sure but I'm starting to doubt he'll ever be a decent scorer again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad