Should we go after Eichel? Do we have a chance?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Usually I'd say yes, but I'd prefer not to throw the entire kitchen sink at a guy who has spinal/neck issues.

Monahan is a broken mess and it's only his wrists (that we know of, he could have hernia issues again for all we know), imagine what a player with spine/neck issues will look like. Mason Raymond broke his back and was never the same.

Not saying Eichel will be useless or that he won't recover, but I'd prefer not to trade Tkachuk, firsts, Hanifin, etc. for a guy who potentially won't play because of spinal problems.

The risk ain't worth it.
Obviously any trade would be pending a physical.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Obviously any trade would be pending a physical.

But he needs spinal surgery, you'd have to do the physical after he had the surgery and recovered to see if he is all good to go, and he can't get the surgery because his employer is f***ed in the head.

With 0 knowledge on spinal disc surgery, if he got it today I am fairly certain the recovery time is months+ so we wouldn't trade for him until long into the summer in which Gaudreau might have already been traded (I assume he's traded by the draft). And I don't trade for Eichel if we just end up trading Johnny or he walks. Then we're where Buffalo is, Eichel and nothing around him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But he needs spinal surgery, you'd have to do the physical after he had the surgery and recovered to see if he is all good to go, and he can't get the surgery because his employer is f***ed in the head.

With 0 knowledge on spinal disc surgery, if he got it today I am fairly certain the recovery time is months+ so we wouldn't trade for him until long into the summer in which Gaudreau might have already been traded (I assume he's traded by the draft). And I don't trade for Eichel if we just end up trading Johnny or he walks. Then we're where Buffalo is, Eichel and nothing around him.
Recovery from a herniated disc is 4 weeks for a regular person, maybe double that time for a hockey player because of the physical nature of the game, so I doubt you are looking at more than a 2 month recovery period

edit: Parise missed 3 months mid-season with the injury. So as long as Eichel goes under the knife before July he should be ready for training camp.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Hello, Sabres fan here.

I am intrigued for sure at the idea of Tkachuk++ for Eichel. I was wondering if you would also be interested in Sam Reinhart? His dad was a long time Flame and Jack and Sam are best friends with good chemistry.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Hello, Sabres fan here.

I am intrigued for sure at the idea of Tkachuk++ for Eichel. I was wondering if you would also be interested in Sam Reinhart? His dad was a long time Flame and Jack and Sam are best friends with good chemistry.

Sabres fans here, with same question. What would Calgary give for Reinhart?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hello, Sabres fan here.

I don't really see a fit for Reinhart here. We're trying to increase our footspeed on the wing. Since Reinhart seems to prefer center and isn't the fastest guy, he just wouldn't fit.

I have a gut feeling that there is a massive trade between the Calgary Flames and the Buffalo Sabres, where Eichel, Reinhart and Rasmus Ristolainen are Flames.

Michael Stone > Rasmus Ristolainen

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
While Eichel would be nice, think Sam Reinhart could honestly 1C for us and perform better than Monahan, while being an actually viable target. He's got ties back home w/ Calgary and I could see him performing well with what we currently have, as it's better than Buffalo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Tkachuk (this is assuming he is the cause of the bad locker room, he isn't the guy to move otherwise)
Monahan
1st 2021
Valimaki

for

Eichel
Reinhart
I think we can add Reinhart without subtracting Monahan when his value is low.

To Buffalo Sabres:
  • Matthew Tkachuk
  • Juuso Valimaki
  • Jakob Pelletier
  • 1st in 2021
  • 2nd in 2022 (Panthers)

To Calgary Flames:
  • Jack Eichel
  • Sam Reinhart

Gaudreau - Eichel - Reinhart
Mangiapane - Monahan - Lindholm
Dube - Backlund - UFA (Hyman? Armia?)
Lucic - Ryan - Gawdin

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
my opinion is that Calgary GM Treliving has missed too many big fish lately and is on his last legs. He missed on Stone, Anderson, Hall recently, I'm sure I'm missing a couple others.

This would be his last chance to take the team to the next level, and a bonafide superstar center could do that.

I think he goes all in to save this squad and throws in a Monahan plus +++ offer at the draft that could include a top ten pick and a top prospect (or two).

Monahan plus their 2021 first round pick, (after the lottery) plus Pelletier and Kylington. Expansion draft might create a wrinkle but I anticipate Calgary to be all over this player.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Monahan + Tkachuk + Parsons + Zavgorodniy + 2021 first + 2022 second

To be honest, the only piece in the entire system I would really hate to include in a trade for Eichel is Zary.

man thats steep, what do you know about Zary that makes you feel that way

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we're not gonna try to develop Kylington here, I would take a flyer on Risto all day. He is grossly miscast in Buffalo and would be a huge addition for us

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we're not gonna try to develop Kylington here, I would take a flyer on Risto all day. He is grossly miscast in Buffalo and would be a huge addition for us
After an Eichel deal, I wonder if there would be a Rsto/Backlund fit for a deal. They'll need a vet C to mentor Cozens and Mittelstadt, of course that'd all be up to Backlund with his M-NTC

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
After an Eichel deal, I wonder if there would be a Rsto/Backlund fit for a deal. They'll need a vet C to mentor Cozens and Mittelstadt, of course that'd all be up to Backlund with his M-NTC
Assuming Backs has the Sabres on his NTC, I don't think him or anyone around the league is waiving for Buffalo for the next few years tbh

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Assuming Backs has the Sabres on his NTC, I don't think him or anyone around the league is waiving for Buffalo for the next few years tbh
It's hard to say, going to Buffalo he'd actually probably get 1st line minutes next year to shelter Cozens & Mittlestadt; so that might be tempting since he's been relegated to the 3rd line here.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think the Flames will have a solid chance. Buffalo wont want to move him in division, or probably even conference. Columbus and NY will have to offer up a high premium to get them interested. I think a Flames offer has to include the 1st round pick, Monahan, Dube/Mang and a prospect. Something Id easily do. If the Sabres lose both him and Reinhart this season, they are going to want a good center back, dont see many teams offering someone better than Monahan as the primary piece.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Who are we higher on… Zary or Pelletier?
Zary. I think he's a lot more versatile offensively and has higher upside.

Provided they both make it I think Pelletier ends up a 45 point winger who plays on PK1. Zary I think has 2C or maybe 1LW (I know, but he struggles a little with puck carrying lol) upside. I think he has 50-60 point potential. His hands, puck control, hockey IQ, and shooting are all very impressive.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think we can add Reinhart without subtracting Monahan when his value is low.

To Buffalo Sabres:
  • Matthew Tkachuk
  • Juuso Valimaki
  • Jakob Pelletier
  • 1st in 2021
  • 2nd in 2022 (Panthers)

To Calgary Flames:
  • Jack Eichel
  • Sam Reinhart

Gaudreau - Eichel - Reinhart
Mangiapane - Monahan - Lindholm
Dube - Backlund - UFA (Hyman? Armia?)
Lucic - Ryan - Gawdin

Perhaps. I mostly included Monahan to help balance out the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad