Should we be worried about Attendence (Trolls Stay Away)

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
What irks me is how thats all anyone ever talks about. Even though we are so close to a wild card spot, its nothing but attendance issues, never anything about whats going on, on ice. Even when we're on the road, TSN or Sportsnet will make a comment about our attendance.

Anyhow, winning consistently and actually winning by more than 1 goal or in OT, will help.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
What irks me is how thats all anyone ever talks about. Even though we are so close to a wild card spot, its nothing but attendance issues, never anything about whats going on, on ice. Even when we're on the road, TSN or Sportsnet will make a comment about our attendance.

Anyhow, winning consistently and actually winning by more than 1 goal or in OT, will help.

It's normal imo, our attendance is terrible and it's a pretty big deal. Also, it's not like sportsnet or TSN have more interesting coverage of other team, all they talk about the Leafs is the jersey throwers and Kessel.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
Tickets are too expensive IMO. Lower prices, higher attendance. Once the team plays well consistently, the demand for the tickets will increase and THEN they raise the prices to where they are now. Seems like simple economics to me :dunno:

CoolburnIsGone

Tickets are too expensive IMO. Lower prices, higher attendance. Once the team plays well consistently, the demand for the tickets will increase and THEN they raise the prices to where they are now. Seems like simple economics to me :dunno:
Yup, particularly for the product still being produced and the offerings/amenities at the arena. I dont plan to renew my seats for next season unless they cut my price by more than 20% and even then I doubt it. At that price, they won't make money so there's no way they do that.

That will really be the measure of when to worry actually....what the renewal rate seems to be on STHs. Because thats basically what current ownership is banking on, retaining its STHs who are footing the bill for all those empty seats right now.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Too expensive? Aren't they the second lowest in the league?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I've been a die hard fan since 96 and live in Miami.. I wish I could attend every home game but the drive up to sunrise is just really inconvenient. I go to about 5 games a season and if we make the playoffs I will go to every home game. we have a very fickle sports market in south Florida. look at the dolphins they can't even sell out. Marlins games are always empty. even the heat games aren't selling out now. everyone knows in south Florida the only way people will show up is for a winning product. the panthers need to make the playoffs by next season, if not than I will start worrying.

"We have a very fickle sports market in south Florida." ...The truth.

If we make the playoffs, we'll sell plenty of tickets. If we don't, we wont. It's really that simple.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
You guys who think this team should be averaging more than they are now are nuts. We play in a non-hockey market, with arguably the best weather in the country, aside from the rain, we have been terrible for most of our existence, with a revolving door of players, coaches, general managers, and owners. We are one of the few teams in the league that can be considered the laughing stock of the league. In a more traditional market, where there is less to do on a game day, you would see a rise in attendance with a team like this one, but until this team becomes a yearly playoff team, we wont see huge jumps in attendance. We will see the fan base grow, and more bandwagoners come along for the ride, but again, that will not happen until we are a playoff team. I do expect that we will see a huge jump IF we are right there at the end of February.

This team can definitely be in the top half of attendance once we are more successful. We have seen that happen before. We just need to be patient. Its happened here before, and its happened here with other teams in South Florida. As long as the ownerships understands that, and continues the financial commitment to this team, we will be fine in the long run. I think what goes hand in hand with that is that Tallon must make the right decisions this offseason. We need that Hossa-to-Chicago type of deal this offseason to really get this team over the hump. If the right moves are made, then I think we can put all this attendance talk behind us.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Full briefing on Panthers status

Ok so as I've mentioned before I've been on top of this and have actually built a contact list with several media who have been nice enough to give me their time. The latest: Panthers ownership is disappointed that the team actually being okay has done nothing to drive tickets (outlined in their recent letter to the Commission). That said, the numbers are expected. Speculation around the league is still that the Panthers are eventually QC bound. This is based on the amount of money that the team is losing and that ownership won't take on such losses forever. Despite some concern from several top officials, the League (meaning Bettman and Daly) isn't concerned about Florida and they have faith that this ownership group can turn it around. There has been zero external pressure placed on the Panthers to move and Viola and Cifu have not expressed any dissatisfaction or mentioned any intention to sell, and remain committed to South Florida.

The Canadian dollar is free falling due to the cheap oil prices, meaning the cap won't go up much next year which is good because it means a couple teams are in cap hell.

The Panthers vote for more money is likely going to take place in mid June and it looks like it has no chance of passing.

I completely understand that some people have money constraints but Florida has iirc the 27th priced ticket in the league. It's affordable for many and they can't make it any cheaper.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
To add to what I said above about the lack of positive history regarding this franchise, who in their right mind is going to spend money to see a losing team play, aside from us die hards? I spent thousands a season on season tickets, food, drinks, apparel, etc. for 10 years, hoping that one of those years would finally be the year. Most people, after going through what I have been through with the team, would have been done with them in a 3rd of the time. The Panthers are a tough sell right now, regardless of our improvement this year, and its going to take more than going from 14th in the East to 9th in the East to change that.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
To add to what I said above about the lack of positive history regarding this franchise, who in their right mind is going to spend money to see a losing team play, aside from us die hards? I spent thousands a season on season tickets, food, drinks, apparel, etc. for 10 years, hoping that one of those years would finally be the year. Most people, after going through what I have been through with the team, would have been done with them in a 3rd of the time. The Panthers are a tough sell right now, regardless of our improvement this year, and its going to take more than going from 14th in the East to 9th in the East to change that.
Yep. Jumping up 5 spots in the standings half way through a season after 2 bottom of the league finishes<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 20 years (their entire existence. This is extremely important concerning this situation) of awful.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I understand they want everyone to pay full price, but there is no reason why the upper level should be open on a week night vs columbus.

I see no shame in filling the entire lower bowl similar to how the marlins have the upper deck closed off.

I think Arizona does this also.

The same argument I always have when this is mentioned - I pay for lower bowl seats. Seats in the upper bowl are a lot less than I pay. If they decide to close the upper bowl and move fans down to the lower bowl bowl why should I pay for loewer bowl seats?

Bad enough the ushers don't care and lots move down anyway.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I'm not surprised considering you travel from Greece! The money on plane tickets alone!

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
A hockey team can't survive if it only draws well when the team is playoff bound.

A team in South Florida that is not a playoff contender will not sell. Its been proven time and time again. Even when we are a playoff team, I doubt we will see great numbers until the latter part of the season, when the playoffs are near. I would think the team would be around 12-14k per night for a good portion of the season, and near sellouts going into March and April. The Heat constantly sold out games all season long because they had two of the top five players in the game, and were the talk of the league. Not to mention, they are one of the best run teams in all four leagues. Unfortunately, we do not have a top player on this team, nor is the league popular enough to sell out every game in Sunrise, like the Heat.

I'm not surprised considering you travel from Greece! The money on plane tickets alone!

Well, I moved to Greece in 2008. I lived in South Florida from 86 until I left for Greece, and had season tickets right before Bure was acquired. To sound a bit selfish, it wouldnt bother me that much if the team left, because I would root for them anywhere, and because I dont see myself moving back anytime soon. It would bother me only because of the memories I have of the team in Sunrise and Miami.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
We have had what 4 playoff appearances in our 21 year history? There is absolutely no consistency there to bring fans to the game. We don't have a star player to market either. I don't really think we can expect good crowds without consistency.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
We have had what 4 playoff appearances in our 21 year history? There is absolutely no consistency there to bring fans to the game. We don't have a star player to market either. I don't really think we can expect good crowds without consistency.

Just a question, why not market the guys that look to be stars in the making. We have Luongo who is a future hall of famer, Ekblad who looks to be a potential franchise D-man for years to come as well as Huberdeau, Bjugstad, and Barkov.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Just a question, why not market the guys that look to be stars in the making. We have Luongo who is a future hall of famer, Ekblad who looks to be a potential franchise D-man for years to come as well as Huberdeau, Bjugstad, and Barkov.

Unless you are the next Lebron James and on ESPN 24/7 before you even play a game it is really hard to market a guy based on potential. In a non hockey market

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
Honestly, I think the whole pricing system is stupid. Why pay 100 dollars to see a hockey game from a bad angle when you can watch it at home from a good angle with play-by-play from Steve Goldstein, especially when a movie ticket costs only 15 bucks and it's the same level of entertainment. You sit in a seat, watch the game for ~2 hours, and go home. What's so special about it?

I go to games regularly but I usually sit in Section 334, 301, and 318, and tickets vary between 30 dollars to 50 dollars. I'm always looking down at the lower bowl and seeing how 60% of the lower bowl is empty, thinking to myself, "There should be no reason for that."

I think professional sports in general are a bit absurd when it comes to ticket prices, and it's mostly thanks to an already high, increasing salary cap. If the salary cap was lower and only increased every five years or something, then ticket prices wouldn't be so expensive and there would be more people attending Panthers games. This isn't Canada where everyone spends thousands of dollars on hockey equipment, hockey tickets, and hockey merchandise. I know that people in cities like San Jose and Pittsburgh pay for tickets even more expensive than ours but that's because the Penguins and Sharks have been playoff teams for the past 10 years.

I'm also pretty sure that ticket prices are a bit random. Tickets to a Canadiens game is reasonably high, but tickets to a Sabres game is almost as high while tickets to a Sens game is actually cheaper than Sabres tickets, all in the same section. I just don't get it.

In my opinion, players get paid way too much and ticket prices are way too expensive. At these ticket prices, you'd have to be either in love with hockey so much that you're willing to devote a fair chunk of your budget to it or richer than most people. I understand the professional hockey is a business but it seems to me that it would be just as profitable and perhaps beneficial to fill twice as many seats if tickets are 50% off. Even season ticket holders would be getting a discount. Why they don't do that is beyond me.

I know this is a controversial opinion but the situation is really bugging me.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Honestly, I think the whole pricing system is stupid. Why pay 100 dollars to see a hockey game from a bad angle when you can watch it at home from a good angle with play-by-play from Steve Goldstein, especially when a movie ticket costs only 15 bucks and it's the same level of entertainment. You sit in a seat, watch the game for ~2 hours, and go home. What's so special about it?

I go to games regularly but I usually sit in Section 334, 301, and 318, and tickets vary between 30 dollars to 50 dollars. I'm always looking down at the lower bowl and seeing how 60% of the lower bowl is empty, thinking to myself, "There should be no reason for that."

I think professional sports in general are a bit absurd when it comes to ticket prices, and it's mostly thanks to an already high, increasing salary cap. If the salary cap was lower and only increased every five years or something, then ticket prices wouldn't be so expensive and there would be more people attending Panthers games. This isn't Canada where everyone spends thousands of dollars on hockey equipment, hockey tickets, and hockey merchandise. I know that people in cities like San Jose and Pittsburgh pay for tickets even more expensive than ours but that's because the Penguins and Sharks have been playoff teams for the past 10 years.

I'm also pretty sure that ticket prices are a bit random. Tickets to a Canadiens game is reasonably high, but tickets to a Sabres game is almost as high while tickets to a Sens game is actually cheaper than Sabres tickets, all in the same section. I just don't get it.

In my opinion, players get paid way too much and ticket prices are way too expensive. At these ticket prices, you'd have to be either in love with hockey so much that you're willing to devote a fair chunk of your budget to it or richer than most people. I understand the professional hockey is a business but it seems to me that it would be just as profitable and perhaps beneficial to fill twice as many seats if tickets are 50% off. Even season ticket holders would be getting a discount. Why they don't do that is beyond me.

I know this is a controversial opinion but the situation is really bugging me.

I do wonder why they dont do this it seems like if more people were at the arena they would at least spend money on concessions and souvenirs. More money is more money, this is how the Marlins use to do it. But on the flip side you shaft the season ticket holders.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
A team in South Florida that is not a playoff contender will not sell. Its been proven time and time again. Even when we are a playoff team, I doubt we will see great numbers until the latter part of the season, when the playoffs are near. I would think the team would be around 12-14k per night for a good portion of the season, and near sellouts going into March and April. The Heat constantly sold out games all season long because they had two of the top five players in the game, and were the talk of the league. Not to mention, they are one of the best run teams in all four leagues. Unfortunately, we do not have a top player on this team, nor is the league popular enough to sell out every game in Sunrise, like the Heat.

You can live with 12-14k but if you turn a small profit when you make the playoffs and lose 30 million dollars a year averaging 8k when you miss, that's not a good business model. Even if you make the playoffs every second year those losses are awful.

Everyone says when they make the playoffs consistently people will come, but very few teams do that. You have to rebuild trust in the product so that when the team does suck people will come. That's why getting rid of the freebies was a good move.

So, what will be the results if the Panthers don't get most of what they have asked the county for?

They will probably get nothing. It has no impact on their immediate future, it's not like they're getting kicked out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaway Rob

Jun 30, 2007
The same argument I always have when this is mentioned - I pay for lower bowl seats. Seats in the upper bowl are a lot less than I pay. If they decide to close the upper bowl and move fans down to the lower bowl bowl why should I pay for loewer bowl seats?

Bad enough the ushers don't care and lots move down anyway.

Not all seats in the upper level are cheaper than lower level. I had 1st row upper level and I was paying more than my friends in the lower level. I didn't renew last season when they raised my price to almost 3k for the pair. I would've been fine with an increase but not after two straight finishes in the basement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad