Should Victor Hedman be given the Captaincy?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The captaincy is mostly something for fans. I don't think it matters the least little bit who's wearing the C, except that removing it from a player would likely piss off the entire dressing room and maybe the whole organization. So, no. If Hedman's the leader of the team, he doesn't need to wear a C.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just want the team to stop playing these games, and give the damn fans an update. I hear in these times they can't even do the ridiculous UBI, LBI, or whatever.

Instead of Cooper trying to take his ball and go home... "No, don't ask me, I'll tell you when" crap. Maybe throw a bone to the fans, even the usual empty chatter, "well, he tweaked something, but he's working his bag off to get back, we have all our trainers working with him to get him back, we're trying, fingers crossed."

Instead, it's just... "Don't ask." WTF?!

Honestly I think his tight-lipped approach helped us vs. CBJ when the entire hockey world thought we wouldn't have Victor Hedman in the line up.

Reactions: Hoek

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's not worth the drama for the supposed benefit. Remember all the grief when Vinny was stripped of it? And that was with a far more qualified candidate.

Why was Andreychuk qualified, cause he was old as shit? He was never a captain anywhere else and only wore an A for 3 seasons out of his 20 before Tampa made him captain. Hedman is just as qualified as Andreychuk was.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I know you have it in for Dave for whatever reason (and yeah he's a bit overrated), but he does have a ring to back that C up at least, and plenty of teammates have vouched for the difference he made in that locker room.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The captaincy is mostly something for fans. I don't think it matters the least little bit who's wearing the C, except that removing it from a player would likely piss off the entire dressing room and maybe the whole organization. So, no. If Hedman's the leader of the team, he doesn't need to wear a C.
Exactly. Marty didn’t wear the C for most of the time in his career but nobody would question his leadership qualities.

Reactions: Felonious Python

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Only reason Hedman should get there C is if Stankos himself wants to pass it to him, but until then, Stammer should keep the C.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I read somewhere that teams weren’t allowed to disclose player injuries in the bubble. Is it true? If so, why? COVID?

Edit: TSN is normally very up to date with injury reports. All injuries listed here for the remaining teams are from way before the bubble: NHL Injuries - Injury Updates from the National Hockey League. Tampa for example officially has no injuries right now.

I haven't heard that but that would be an interesting departure if true. I honestly wonder if Stamkos's injury is far worse then we are being told and that is why cooper has been saying to stop asking about him.

BennetAintInit

Sep 7, 2018
Fl.
I don't get the logic that equates Stamkos having taken less money than his supposed worth to his being the only plausible Captain for the team. For me, his lack of actual play is the biggest negative factor. Its normalized now. It must affect his ability to lead.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't get the logic that equates Stamkos having taken less money than his supposed worth to his being the only plausible Captain for the team. For me, his lack of actual play is the biggest negative factor. Its normalized now. It must affect his ability to lead.

I think you have the wrong idea of what it means to wear a C. It basically comes down to a difference in clothing -- your jerseys now have Cs on them. Having Carter Vehaeghe wear the C would have no real affect on the team's performance, nor would moving it to Hedman.

The only time it has real value is when you want to reward a player, or make them understand their role. Our team is too mature to care about that at this point, I think. Stripping Stamkos is just a good way to create a disgruntled team, because it would be a public humiliation.

Do I think Stamkos is the real leader of this team? Probably not. But we could choose the captain out of a hat on a nightly basis and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Reactions: GeneseeScreamer

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
So I was thinking about this last night and this might not be popular, But I have been thinking Heddy should be given the Captaincy, No offence to Stammer I love him but he has just been so injury prone and it feels like Heddy is the bigger Leader as he is on the ice more. Just some random musings from me.
Mutiny_t715.jpg

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Great way to alienate Stamkos and create dissension in locker room. Not sure OP has realized this but everything seems pretty good right now for Lighting silly time to be bringing this up no?

Edit didn't realize this was Lighting forum just hit new posts. Good luck in playoffs.

Reactions: copperlion and Hoek

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Stamkos was the right pick years ago when he became captain and just because there are some other good options doesn't necessarily mean you strip Stamkos of it. I think changing captains is a really bad thing to do for a team's mojo and rarely works out for the best.

Reactions: DFC and Hoek

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I truly don't like how people sh!t on our captain. Stammer is a heart and soul guy and I wouldn't want to have anyone but him as captain. And acting as if he wasn't a leader is bs lol. In good and bad times, he's always taken the blame and put himself out to the media sharks to take said blame.

I had asked Victor Hedman recently about Stamkos’ impact behind the scenes.
“It doesn’t surprise you anymore, but it’s just the mentality he brings, the positive attitude,” Hedman said. “The things he’s gone through in the last four-to-five years has been … you don’t wish that on anyone. The way he’s battled through that, and come out a better player, it’s been remarkable. He’s the captain of this team for a reason, and he’s shown that, even when he’s not playing, and bringing that positive energy and positive mindset to the locker room.
“It rubs off on guys. We’re just very blessed to have a captain like that.” (Source: Joe Smith, TheAthletic)

Also, if we are in the position we are in now, with starts taking under the market salaries and buying in into the "team first" mentality, we gotta thank Stammer (and Yzerman).

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeus Bojangles

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland