Should Toronto trade away their 1st and 2nd picks in 2022?

Should Toronto trade their 1st and 2nd picks in the 2022 draft for rentals?

• Yes! The goal is to win a championship and the Leafs should do everything to make that happen

• No! You never know what will happen in the playoffs and you should always be looking to the future!

Results are only viewable after voting.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Masai Ujiri controversially traded Demar Derozan for 1 year of Kawai Leonard.

The team was already 'very good' and 'could have won' without that trade. Maybe, we'll never know. What we do know is they are champions for all time through the histories. Heralded for being bold.

No I don't think it's exactly the same situation. But there are similarities are there. The risk/reward in sports is real there can only be one winner every year.

The only thing I know for sure it the Leafs D is one Muzzin injury away from looking kind of thin and young come playoff time. I will go one further and say there is no chance at a Stanley Cup without a healthy Muzzin on the team. I am in the camp of trade future assets to bolster the D. That is the right move for this team that is proving they are worthy of risk. The mistakes were the Leafs/Dubas trading picks on previous runs thinking they were good enough and they weren't.

They also moved a 1st for Ibaka the year before

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I voted yes but that requires there to be a legitimate chance to improve the club, not a Foligno deal. Depends too on the injury situation and if a player or players go flat in the second half and create a hole where there isnt one right now. If they sold picks last season they will do it again. They have assets outside of picks as well and the window is now.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
This adding players at the deadline thing needs to stop. You go all year developing chemistry with the team only to go and f*** it all up with some late roster additions.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This adding players at the deadline thing needs to stop. You go all year developing chemistry with the team only to go and f*** it all up with some late roster additions.

Literally every playoff team does that

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
It also depends on the draft. I think this is a very strong year, no? In that case, my answer is "no" unless a very good offer came along. I just looked at the 2015 draft again. My Lord. Insane! Even in round 5 and 6, Mangapiane and Kaprizov were drafted. That draft will turn out to be the best ever, IMO.

2015 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We shouldn't move both. But our system is pretty damn healthy and can handle a major spend. If we could get a 2 year player that makes us better now AND makes next seasons cap situation easier we'd have to look at it.

System demonstration
1st round level assets (10 points) 2022, 2023, Amirov, Robertson, Knies, Niemela
2nd round level assets (5 points) 2022, 2023, Steeves, Tverberg, Kokkonen, Holmberg
3rd round level assets (3 points) 2023, Koster, Kral, SDA, Abbruzezze, Abramov, Rindell, Miettinen, Hirvonen,
Everything else 5 points total

122 points. 30 of them in 3 LW's.

1st + Robby/Amirov is a big swing, but still leaves us with the other + Knies as high end left wings, 3 top 64 picks in this draft and next, and 102/122 (84%) of our short term prospect capital

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I would stay the course. I dont think it's a good idea to mess with team chemistry going into playoffs. As long as we feel comfortable with our depth at every position going into the playoffs should injuries happen.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mikheyev, Holl & 1st
for
Miller @ 50% ret

Engvall & 2nd
for
Chiarot @ 50%

Miller - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Ritchie - Kampf - Kase
Bunting - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Chiarot
Sandin - Liljigren

I like the player, but, no chance of the second trade.

----------------------------------------------

My personal opinion. We shouldn't trade for a mere rental. A player with term. A good young player perhaps... A Comtois sure. A Braden Schneider, sure. JT Miller @ 50%, sure.

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just be smart about it this time if you're gonna do it. I know, Smart and Dubas dont go well together but dont trade for broken down Foligno's again. Trade for someone who can actually help us.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
It doesn’t mean they lacked depth and the mental toughness to beat a lottery team in round 1?
Did you see game 7? That was far from a Cup contending team. That was a fragile, broken, scared team.
Last years game 7? Yep I saw a team that quit after game 4 up 3-1. Not sure about scared though.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Just be smart about it this time if you're gonna do it. I know, Smart and Dubas dont go well together but dont trade for broken down Foligno's again. Trade for someone who can actually help us.
I dont think Foligno is much better than Clifford at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad