Should Toronto trade away their 1st and 2nd picks in 2022?

Should Toronto trade their 1st and 2nd picks in the 2022 draft for rentals?

• Yes! The goal is to win a championship and the Leafs should do everything to make that happen

• No! You never know what will happen in the playoffs and you should always be looking to the future!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Just a FYI as of right now (Dec3 2021) Toronto only has 2 picks TOTAL in the 2022 draft, their 1st and 2nd. My question is simple should Toronto trade them away to get the best possible team for this year playoffs?

edit: One extra piece of detail the player(s) acquired will only be rentals but the team will be better with them in the lineup

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if they can find the right trade then yeah. They don't need to trade a 1st for the sake of it like last year, but there's no reason not to try to compete now

Reactions: Duffman955

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would say no. We don't need expensive rentals and I doubt there are too many long term guys we can afford at this point.

We have some prospects we can use to acquire some cheap depth, and beyond that, I think we run with what we have this year, short of there being a major injury.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think so. They are capped out for one, and second, we need a mystery box ELC to throw into the mix with Robertson and Amirov over the next couple of years with first round upside. Good organization building habits extend the duration of a contender. That helps us re-sign our future UFA's. Leafs appear to be opening up a window of contention so it's not necessarily a "last dance" again.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
It entirely depends upon who and what is available, but I really think that the deadline this year should be focused around adding depth.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Depends on the player coming in, and how strong the draft is. Normal drafts the value of a late first round pick is about the same as a second round pick. So giving up a first isn't the end of the world.

I really dislike bringing in a good UFA for a first (Foligno). If you are going to give up a first for a UFA, they better be very good player, or better yet not a UFA and maybe have a year left at least (if the cap will allow it). That said I was kind of excited for Foligno at the time.. but injuries make the trade appear worse than what is was ....I guess.

Reactions: Mad hatter

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Yes because I'm assuming it's implied the rentals are significant additions to the cup run like a top 6 winger or real top 4 D. Don't see why a poll would exist otherwise. Currently best team in the league it would be absurd not to go for it if this continues.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I would consider it for good young players with term for sure but not for a playoff run only player. We really need to maintain a good pipeline and trading 1st and 2nd makes it much harder

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The pick should absolutely be available this team is tied for 1st overall in the league they should be looking to add the final piece and if that means moving the 1st you move the 1st.

That being said if you can add the final piece without moving the 1st that's fine to I'm not against keeping it.

But those picks should be available 100%

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would rather the Leafs keep their first and second-round picks, and maybe add a few more.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Is "better with them in the lineup" defined as winning a playoff round or more? I can be persuaded to think about it favourably if the answer to that question is 'yes'. ;) I'm obviously well-aware that no such guarantees exist. Wouldn't be surprised if this - or something similar (ex. prospects in lieu of picks) - happens though as a team like the current Leafs will always look to improve and make a go of it in whatever manner is available to them. I imagine the initial aim might be for non-rentals though.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
nothing is black and white ........
if you get a young contrable asset why not , you can revover those picks later.
if its to get a random 30+ yr old UFA , noooooooooooo ......... this never works and isnt worth the 20 to 30 games with that player

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
This isn't really a yes/no question. Last year, it seemed like the mindset was "we have to move our first round pick since that's what contending teams do". That logic got us a guy who was already pretty clearly washed and probably shouldn't have fetched more than a 3rd - it was obvious at the time, and even more obvious in hindsight. First rounder should certainly be in play if the right player is available, but the notion that we need to trade it because we're a contender is ludicrous.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
3rd to 6th picks are already gone. Management might as well not even show up to the draft this year if we move the 1st and 2nd lol.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
lots of short-term memory going on up in this place

24 games in and we're talking about being real contenders, the best team in the league etc etc

there's still 3/4 of the season remaining and yet just like every other year here we are thinking this is gonna be the year lol

problem is everyone never looks at the bigger picture, they only look at the here and now. what were we all saying after the first 10 games of this season? yeah thats right....

and now after the next 14 games look at what everyone is saying...

so what happens when the next slump comes? 60 more games to go, we can bet there is another slump or two coming up.. and then what will we all be saying again...

the short-sightedness here is astounding

how many times have we been in this position of "this is the year" only to p*ss it all away in April... somehow this year is different though? haha right

wait it out... get a bigger sample size instead of claiming victory after just 24 games... but what the hell this is what happens in here every year lol

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Only if its two runs with the player, this year and next year. Trading a first for 25 games isn't worth it.
They can't really afford that. It is kind of a one and done situation only. They don't have the cap space to add anyone of significance on the books next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad