Should Tkachev-Yakimov-Yakupov be our 4th line?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Alright, I'll bite.

First, Tkachev is small, young, inexperienced and small. I can go in depth on this, but I don't really think I need to. No need in giving a roster spot to a 18-19 year old, 141lbs child. Especially in a role on the fourth line against other teams in our division/conference. Tkachev isn't signed, is 19 and has only recently started NA hockey at the junior level. He's built like my niece, and putting him in this position would be awfully hard to imagine.

Second, Yakupov, a 1st overall pick with tonnes of potential will rot on the fourth line. I really don't need to touch on this.

Third, Yakimov, albeit NHL ready in size, is showing flashes in preseason games, but that thought should end there. No need to give him a spot on the bottom line, especially considering he's not ready. I know he's doing a lot with his time right now, but why sit on on the 4th line when he'd be getting top minutes in OKC and a chance to develop?

Also, where do players like Hendricks/Gazdic/Joensu etc go? Do we send them down, risking the lose of the one way contracted players? I don't think it would be a great idea.

Look, I get the shiny toy syndrome and the fact that they're all Russian and there seems to be chemistry between two of them. Sure. It's hard not imagine a line like that, but you have to be realistic.

I get you're new to the board, so don't worry about these posts. Next time, however, look at all the factors involved. There are a lot of cranky people on here though who will pounce on anything they see to be ill-fitting with their perspective.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It would only be the worst thing possible for all 3 players.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
maybe in two years they could be our 2nd line.

Tkachev does not have a contract. Yakimov has a less than 50% chance at starting as an NHLer IMO. If Drai goes back to junior then this changes....but I think you'd want yakimov to get more AHL minutes and skate skate skate....

also Yakupov needs NHL minutes not 8 minutes.

I think ideally you'd want Yak with boggy or drai at centre but that really depends on how those guys are doing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's not the worst idea, because let's face it, even though we're penciling in the Hendricks-Gordon line as our 4th line, they are going to be getting 3rd line minutes for their shutdown ability.

So it's basically saying that the Tkachev-Yakimov-Yakupov line would be our 3rd line by the way most people right down depth charts. As in, they would get limited 5 on 5 minutes but might make up for it on special teams (particularly Yakupov).

At any rate, I voted no just because I want Yakupov to be in the top six.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
simply terrible, think before you p0ast

eca501f82483cf063f73045316c8c2a1.jpg

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
there's something about hockey that Tkachev "gets".

Something Yakupov doesn't... yet. (that I pray as an Oiler fan he learns)

Some people have to learn hockey.. Some people get it. Some do both.

Tkachev will need to both. I think he gets it.. can he take that and extend it is the question. He can deal with the size.. he's done that his whole life. Can he deal with the speed and intensity that is the NHL? That's his question mark. Not if he can grow.. get faster. Can he get even smarter. Elude NHL checks... and be aware where players are open and where the pucks going in "Fast forward".

So far he has.. which is honestly kind of freaky.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
there's something about hockey that Tkachev "gets".

Something Yakupov doesn't... yet. (that I pray as an Oiler fan he learns)

Some people have to learn hockey.. Some people get it. Some do both.

Tkachev will need to both. I think he gets it.. can he take that and extend it is the question. He can deal with the size.. he's done that his whole life. Can he deal with the speed and intensity that is the NHL? That's his question mark. Not if he can grow.. get faster. Can he get even smarter. Elude NHL checks... and be aware where players are open and where the pucks going in "Fast forward".

So far he has.. which is honestly kind of freaky.

You put Tkachev's brain in Yakupov's body and you've got yourself a superstar.

dobiezeke*

now what could be wrong with having a FORMER FIRST OVERALL PICK ON THE FOURTH LINE GETTING less then 5 minutes a game?

Perhaps suggesting he plays on a line with one player who has no North American experience and the other not having a contract? Just an opinion...

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
The amount of posters that think yak2 should be in the NHL this season make me concerned that the main board posted are dead right about our fan base overhyping all our prospects as well the Oilers reputation of rushing young players.

He's a great prospect, but I'd rather give him at least one full AHL season (could be more, but given his physical stats I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say one might do fine) and let him fully develop so we have a real player on our hands vs promoting him too soon and having another Lander.

As for Tkachev cracking the roster, just no. If this line was playing 4th line minutes a big guy like Yakimov might get bored on the bench and eat him for a quick snack, we have to be careful about that.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1 - Tkachev is too small to play in the NHL. Needs to put on weight.
2 - 4th line minutes is going to kill their learning curve.
3 - Yakimov might be suitable for 3rd line center.
4 - Further cutting down Yakupov's ice time is not going to make him any better.
5 - A line of rookies isn't going to get us up any higher in the standings.
6 - Would love to see Tkachev-Yak-Yak as a line in a preseason game.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I voted no, but I'd like to go against the grain here a little bit.

I'd like to see a pre-season line up of

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-Drai-Perron
Tkachev-Yak2-Yak1
Hendricks-Gordon-Purcell/Pitlick

Let the three of them see what they can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad