Should there be a seperate Salary cap for teams Front Office(GM, Scouts, Coach, etc)?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
You like that bettman koolaid.

So you think hockey's welfare is at risk? Why do you care about the ratings? Why do you need hockey to be a top sport? are you an owner or shareholder of an NHL team?

Hockey is doing just fine and will always do well. Stop creating fake problems.

The only fake problems being created/talked about are coming from the few fans of rich, big market teams that want to change the structure of the league to cater to their "spoiled rich kid" perception.

I don't believe hockey's welfare is at risk, nor do I have a financial stake in the NHL. Like I've stated above, I love this sport and would love to see it grow to non traditional areas. That takes time and resources, and sometimes is not a seamless transition. I also believe that changing the structure of the league to give rich teams a competitive edge is a stupid idea.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No, bad idea because it can't be done correctly or fairly.

You can't bring in and expect a parity set up with coaches, management, and back office staff and then expect it to be even without taking all factors into account, such as local taxes, a factor for better weather conditions, price of housing, and conditions along that line. It would be almost impossible to try and balance all the non tangible factors out. E.g. Arizona, Panthers, or Carolina, would have to add 50% to all their salaries to balance off their nicer weather and another 20% for local taxes.

If something like what you suggest was tried based only on direct salary, might as well call the league the USNHL since Canadian teams would have no chance at all.

Couldn't you say the same thing about the current player Salary cap?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
We too love the sport, we just prefer to see it played at its highest level, not dumbed down.

Why on Earth would I care whether someone in Fiji loves hockey?

Like, OMG, this is so cool!!! That kid in Fiji likes hockey!!!

What is with these ridiculous examples? Growing the sport in North America has nothing to do with any of these across the globe countries.

Last edited:

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
Nope, bad idea.

They should actually make the team salary cap less strict.

Teams that make more money, should have more benefits, or else...what's the point of trying to improve your product if all your spending is restricted?

Why should a team have more benefits just because they are lucky enough to be in a bigger/and or older market. And there are other ways to build a winner without needing to throw a suitcase full of money at the problem. Build the team properly, hire competent people and success will follow.

Dont like it? Become a better team, grow your market and develop a better economic structure.

The problem is a smaller market in a league without a salary cap will never be able to compete on a level playing field with a team in a rich market like Toronto, New York, etc, no matter how well that team is run.

The salary cap is a necessary evil and is not going anywhere, Don`t like it? Build a better team, draft well and develop a contender the way others already have under the salary cap.

There shouldn't be a cap of any kind Life isn't fair some people have more than others that's the way it goes

You really don`t understand how sports leagues work in NA do you? So what`s next in your brilliant plan to improve the league? Get rid of the draft and allow the few rich markets to outbid everyone else for the best players?

Some teams make more money why should they punished for spending it?

How is giving a few rich teams fortunate enough to reside in a large population area an extra advantage going to improve the league overall. All that getting rid of the salary cap would accomplish would be to create a top heavy league with a few rich team winning most of the time, and everyone else fighting for the scraps that are left. Just like the Premier League in soccer where it`s the same short list of teams winning most of the titles.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'm not a lawyer but I think unless the front office executives / scouts / coaches all unionize and agree to a collective bargaining agreement with a salary cap this isn't possible legally.

This is the correct answer.

Any attempt to unilaterally impose a cap on the combined salaries of certain employees without a CBA in place would be monstrously struck down by any labor board.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think the salary cap is fine since even though the leafs would benefit from its removal, I'd rather have parity in hockey rather than turn into the NBA. To limit management like this is just a step too far though, and having every team in the league be totally equal in every way isn't fun either

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
no it's coming from somebody who 18 months ago didn't have jack ****. not a dime to my name, didn't know from month to month if my rent would get paid because I had 2 loser roommates who didn't work or when they did they goy fired because eventually they stopped going and got fired.

18 months later I don't hav a dime of debt to my name, I don't worry about my bills I am by no means rich, far from it but I am no longer stressing over money.

these are multi millionaire owners are you telling me they can't afford to pay competitive prices for coaches and Scouts?

come on now be serious

The fact that you think this is analogous to running a professional sports team is mind-blowing.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
How about instead the fans of those small market teams support their franchise more so that they can afford better managament/scouts.

How is the population of Winnipeg (782k) supposed to support their team as much financially as the people of NYC (8.5M)? Like, what? Leafs fans aren't better fans than small market fans just because their team is richer, that's one of the most self-centered, incorrect things I've ever read.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Nope, bad idea.

They should actually make the team salary cap less strict.

Teams that make more money, should have more benefits, or else...what's the point of trying to improve your product if all your spending is restricted?

Dont like it? Become a better team, grow your market and develop a better economic structure.

"Ah, ****, my team lost again. Probably because our payroll is 2% of the top teams. I know, lemme wave my magic wand and add 5 million people to my metropolitan area! Abra-kadabra!"

And "become a better team" is the goal, not the means. "Develop a better economic structure" is the most vague ******** ever. I doubt many NHL teams are just ******** their money away.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The fact that you think this is analogous to running a professional sports team is mind-blowing.

what I am saying is if an a regular person like me can improve my situation, I am sure these multi millionaire men, who are clearly highly intelligent because you don't get rich by being stupid can figure out a way to pay for quality coaches, scouts and other staff.

if the blavkhawks coach was fired tomorrow every single one of the NHL's 31 teams should be able to put in a competitive bid, some won't because they have coaches but theses are not poor men, these are men that are worth HUNDREDS of millions of dollars.

Every single one of them should be able to pay whatever coach Q wants

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
what I am saying is if an a regular person like me can improve my situation, I am sure these multi millionaire men, who are clearly highly intelligent because you don't get rich by being stupid can figure out a way to pay for quality coaches, scouts and other staff.

if the blavkhawks coach was fired tomorrow every single one of the NHL's 31 teams should be able to put in a competitive bid, some won't because they have coaches but theses are not poor men, these are men that are worth HUNDREDS of millions of dollars.

Every single one of them should be able to pay whatever coach Q wants

The thing you're not understanding is that your comparisons don't add up. You're comparing your life situation to the world of sports, which is totally different and not comparable.

I don't really agree with the idea of imposing a cap on management personnel, but the idea presented in this thread is to keep ownership teams with limitless money and appeal of a large market from hording these personnel and having much larger staffs.

There are a finite number of quality coaches, general managers, personnel, etc to go around in this league. Sure a good amount of owners probably would likely foot the bill for a guy like Quenneville if he was an upgrade for them. The thing you need to understand is that there aren't tons of coach Quennevilles or those of his ilk growing on trees. The idea that the OP is suggesting is trying to make it a more level playing field so smaller market teams could also have a shot at high quality management personnel. Though it's already been explained why this wouldn't work.

The other thing you need to understand is that not every owner is going to shell out tons of money left and right for the best candidate at every position. There have been plenty of bad/frugal owners around the league (and other sports) at certain points, and that is unlikely to change. They're under no obligation to spend more money or spend it in a specific way because you think they should.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I hate the salary cap as a Leafs fan, but love it as a hockey fan as it allows us to see teams from all over North America be competitive. But putting a cap on management and coaching? Nonsense. Hiring the best front office doesn't ever guarantee success. Say what you will about the Burke era Leafs, but they had a lot of real smart guys running the team, guys like Loiselle, Dudley, and yes, Burke. What did they have to show for it?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Having the salary cap and the parity that it brings is in the league's best interest. It won't be removed anytime soon. If this offends a fan of a rich team, so be it.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Having the salary cap and the parity that it brings is in the league's best interest. It won't be removed anytime soon. If this offends a fan of a rich team, so be it.

These fans telling me or any other fans of small markets that our teams should fold, shift into a lesser tier, or play in a league that caters to rich teams is probably more offensive and is pretty condescending.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
The NHL has probably the most parity of any of the major sports. The stanley cup is considered one of the hardest trophies to win.

The nonexistence of a salary cap for team's front offices hasn't affected that.

The NHL is probably the best professional sports league to be in if you are a small market team.

This is the reality of billion dollar sports industries.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Front office staff (outside of the coaches and high up's in Hockey op's) in the NHL are criminally underpaid, in exchange they get to have awesome jobs for NHL teams they love.

You going to put a cap on your analysts and ticket reps making 40-60k a year? Their salaries are a rounding error in terms of the teams revenue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad