Should there be a seperate Salary cap for teams Front Office(GM, Scouts, Coach, etc)?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This seems to be the one area that teams like Toronto and Rangers can get away with that other teams can't. Leafs for example can out bid any management they want (The did exactly that with Babcock).

Look at the Leafs scouting, they have tons of scouting in Europe and the KHL. Compare that to smaller market teams, and most of their scouting are the NA major leagues and maybe the KHL.

With parity being pushed as hard as it has been, the salary cap being implemented, rumors of the draft age being pushed back to allow more even drafting etc, is this something the NHL should look at?

Perhaps not even a hard cap, but a soft cap that going over it spills onto the rosters salary cap. Not sure how it is fair Toronto can pay 8M to their coach, and regular GM salaries to all their assistant GM's meanwhile a small market team like Arizona, Panthers, or Carolina can't even come close to competing.

Thoughts on if this is something the NHL should address, and if you think they should, how could it be enforced in a fair way.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nope, bad idea.

They should actually make the team salary cap less strict.

Teams that make more money, should have more benefits, or else...what's the point of trying to improve your product if all your spending is restricted?

Dont like it? Become a better team, grow your market and develop a better economic structure.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not a lawyer but I think unless the front office executives / scouts / coaches all unionize and agree to a collective bargaining agreement with a salary cap this isn't possible legally.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm not a lawyer but I think unless the front office executives / scouts / coaches all unionize and agree to a collective bargaining agreement with a salary cap this isn't possible legally.

This is a very valid point, one I did not think of. This would be a huge obstacle as what incentive would they have to sign such a deal?

However on the other hand, they managed to convince the players to accept the cap, so something could be worked out.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There shouldn't be a cap of any kind Life isn't fair some people have more than others that's the way it goes

Some teams make more money why should they punished for spending it?

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Nope, bad idea.

Teams that make more money, should have more benefits, or else...what's the point of trying to improve your product if all your spending is restricted?

Dont like it? Become a better team, grow your market and develop a better economic structure.

Sounds like a typical answer from Wall street. :laugh:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Nope, bad idea.

Something tells me you're from NY or some other big market city that by very definition has a huge advantage in the world you describe.

10% of market in NYC dwarfs 25% of market in Winnipeg.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
This seems to be the one area that teams like Toronto and Rangers can get away with that other teams can't. Leafs for example can out bid any management they want (The did exactly that with Babcock).

Look at the Leafs scouting, they have tons of scouting in Europe and the KHL. Compare that to smaller market teams, and most of their scouting are the NA major leagues and maybe the KHL.

With parity being pushed as hard as it has been, the salary cap being implemented, rumors of the draft age being pushed back to allow more even drafting etc, is this something the NHL should look at?

Perhaps not even a hard cap, but a soft cap that going over it spills onto the rosters salary cap. Not sure how it is fair Toronto can pay 8M to their coach, and regular GM salaries to all their assistant GM's meanwhile a small market team like Arizona, Panthers, or Carolina can't even come close to competing.

Thoughts on if this is something the NHL should address, and if you think they should, how could it be enforced in a fair way.

How about instead the fans of those small market teams support their franchise more so that they can afford better managament/scouts.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
The rich markets haven't really been known for stellar decision making at the management level. Montreal keep trading their controversial super stars. Toronto was a disaster up until recently. New York kept picking busts in the draft and got bogged down in awful free agent deals. Chicago and LA had their success, but decided to make things more fair by crippling their teams with the Brown and Seabrook contracts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Do we really know that not all teams cover the same areas in scouting?

I thought at this point in time that teams have pretty equal representation in scouting in Europe, Russia, and Sweden.

I thought the Wings had a pretty clear advantage there up until maybe 99-02, but you see far less guys slip through the cracks now, and I have to assume that is because scouting has become a lot more even in terms of areas teams are scouting.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Nope, bad idea.

I love these posts.

"We should do the thing that directly benefits my team the most."

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There shouldn't be a cap of any kind Life isn't fair some people have more than others that's the way it goes

enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

From the fan of the only billion dollar team in the league... Surely there is no self-interest or bias involved.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Some teams make more money why should they punished for spending it?

Another classic "We should implement a system that will directly benefit my team."

If removing the salary cap hurt the Leafs, you would be 10000000% against it :laugh:

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
The rich markets haven't really been known for stellar decision making at the management level. Montreal keep trading their controversial super stars. Toronto was a disaster up until recently. New York kept picking busts in the draft and got bogged down in awful free agent deals. Chicago and LA had their success, but decided to make things more fair by crippling their teams with the Brown and Seabrook contracts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A large part of what makes the Stanley Cup special is that the Salary Cap enforces a more even playing field, forces the factors that lead to success to be more about what the competition tests. Teams facing off to measure the greatest ability. Any step away from a Salary Cap, including the proposal above, lessens that competition. Looking at the Premier League as an example, Leicester have to do an absolutely mind-blowing job to win the league over a Chelsea playing their cards decently. So what are they competing for, really? Because it isn't which team is the best at football in the country.

Another example; We know that Usain Bolt is great because he plays his competition on even ground and dominates them. He doesn't get to start 20 meters ahead because he's got the best sponsors.

We can't get a completely even playing field, but the ambition should be to get as close as possible.

Even as a Leafs fan, I really don't understand why how much money we give our team should impact the competition itself.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

From the fan of the only billion dollar team in the league... Surely there is no self-interest or bias involved.

no it's coming from somebody who 18 months ago didn't have jack ****. not a dime to my name, didn't know from month to month if my rent would get paid because I had 2 loser roommates who didn't work or when they did they goy fired because eventually they stopped going and got fired.

18 months later I don't hav a dime of debt to my name, I don't worry about my bills I am by no means rich, far from it but I am no longer stressing over money.

these are multi millionaire owners are you telling me they can't afford to pay competitive prices for coaches and Scouts?

come on now be serious

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Nope, bad idea.

Horrible idea.

This inevitabley gets brought up every time a salary cap discussion appears.

I'm not sure what benefits you're referring to, but all that does is increase the gap between rich teams and the poorer teams.

Giving the rich, big market teams an edge over poorer, smaller market teams makes it much more difficult for these poorer franchises to do the things you're suggesting.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I think teams like Toronto, NYR, Montreal etc. should form a Tier One league with the rest in a lower league with the opportunity to move up based on performance. I grow tired of having to support half the league.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
It's truly astounding to me that there are still a decent amount of people that don't understand the concept as to why there is a salary cap.

You don't need a masters in business or economics to understand this.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I think teams like Toronto, NYR, Montreal etc. should form a Tier One league with the rest in a lower league with the opportunity to move up based on performance. I grow tired of having to support half the league.

So even if all those teams are 28th, 29th, and 30th they're still in the top tier because they make more money?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Yes, your own part of that must be exhausting. If only there was no revenue sharing so that your money could go straight into ownership's pockets instead.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
The focus shouldn't be on paying management. The real flaw is the salary cap not taking taxes into account in different states or provinces. If the salary cap was meant to put all teams on the same playing field, then it isn't working. Dollar for dollar, Florida has a big advantage over many teams paying the same salary. The Cap needs to address this. I can't stand our marginal tax rate, and this pisses me off even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad