Speculation: Should The Wings Look Into Meier?

Timo Meier as a trade in season, even with 10M qualifying offer?

• Yes

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Yes, but in the off-season

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • No, other players better fit the need in DET

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Horvat is tied at #7 for goals this season with Ovechkin. McDavid and Pasta are the only players that have more than 2 goals more.

So basically you're saying McDavid is the only player that can move the needle, yet everyone here expects Kasper to do so. Kasper is not McDavid, and chances are he'll be less of an impact player than Horvat.

My concern here is overpaying for a player that had a career season with numbers well above career average. That usually doesn't work out well, Copp for example.
Meier is ppg this season as well just as he was last season. On a bad team. Also, his numbers in earlier years are a bit misleading because he just didn't get the prime PP-time he's getting now. If you look at his scoring most of the difference compared to earlier years is actually PP-scoring. He'd have been much closer to ppg in all years save for the first two when his overall TOI was down mostly because of mono (and probably DeBoer being stubborn as well).

Also, Meier's value goes way beyond scoring. He's one of the most efficient hitters leaguewide and he's a coaches dream for possession hockey. He's a difference maker because he can play lots of minutes with high energy and, with suitable linemates, absolutely wear down opposition on the cycle because he's just incredibly strong on the puck.

The only similarities with Copp I see is that they're both not overly creative but strong on the puck. Still, Meier is much better in both areas and he's a natural goal scorer and possession monster on top of it while Copp is a two way forward just barely skilled enough to play higher up the lineup in case of injuries.

I'm curious what Meier is gonna do but if I'm him, unless I get a crazy longterm offer I sign my qualifying offer, cash in the 10 millions that are gonna walk me to Free Agency. He'd be top3 of his UFA class at the very least giving him the option to sign almost anywhere he wishes and either cash in or chase cups. Even if he does have a down year or pick up an injury...as long as it's not career threating he's gonna get paid if he chooses do to so.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Meier is ppg this season as well just as he was last season. On a bad team. Also, his numbers in earlier years are a bit misleading because he just didn't get the prime PP-time he's getting now. If you look at his scoring most of the difference compared to earlier years is actually PP-scoring. He'd have been much closer to ppg in all years save for the first two when his overall TOI was down mostly because of mono (and probably DeBoer being stubborn as well).

Also, Meier's value goes way beyond scoring. He's one of the most efficient hitters leaguewide and he's a coaches dream for possession hockey. He's a difference maker because he can play lots of minutes with high energy and, with suitable linemates, absolutely wear down opposition on the cycle because he's just incredibly strong on the puck.

The only similarities with Copp I see is that they're both not overly creative but strong on the puck. Still, Meier is much better in both areas and he's a natural goal scorer and possession monster on top of it while Copp is a two way forward just barely skilled enough to play higher up the lineup in case of injuries.

I'm curious what Meier is gonna do but if I'm him, unless I get a crazy longterm offer I sign my qualifying offer, cash in the 10 millions that are gonna walk me to Free Agency. He'd be top3 of his UFA class at the very least giving him the option to sign almost anywhere he wishes and either cash in or chase cups. Even if he does have a down year or pick up an injury...as long as it's not career threating he's gonna get paid if he chooses do to so.
The comparison was about Horvat not Meier, sorry for the confusion (prob should have posted it in the Horvat thread). The only similarity there is that Horvat is having a career year like Copp did last season.

Meier is a big dude that plays more consistently. Unfortunately, he's a luxury that the Wings can't afford. The team needs another center before going after a winger. If Timo plays with Larkin, then it just means someone else has to play with Copp.

I'd wait for him to hit free agency. Not worth a trade if you have to pay him free agency salary anyways.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Why would Meier sign for less if 10 mio is his qualifying offer? I certainly wouldn't trade for Meier if I'm not willing to pay him.

If he accepts his QO it would be a one year contract. So in theory he could turn that down to sign for a longer term contract like 8 x 8. Simply put, he may prefer guaranteeing himself 64 million now vs 10 + whatever he signs for next year.

Either way, I dont really see the fit for Detroit.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If he accepts his QO it would be a one year contract. So in theory he could turn that down to sign for a longer term contract like 8 x 8. Simply put, he may prefer guaranteeing himself 64 million now vs 10 + whatever he signs for next year.

Fit how?

Not a good trade partner with SJ with regards to assets needed?
Or
Meier doesn't fit into our lineup?

Because Meier fits in any team's lineup.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fit how?

Not a good trade partner with SJ with regards to assets needed?
Or
Meier doesn't fit into our lineup?

Because Meier fits in any team's lineup.
Maybe because he's a goalscorer he does fit anywhere but if you wanna get the best out of Meier I think you gotta play heavy possession hockey. Give him somebody like Hertl to get the cycling going. That's what he's really effective at.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

If he only plays a half decent season without picking up a career threatening injury he'll probably be able to get more money as an UFA. And even if not he at least gets to choose his destination and can also opt to chase cups instead. If I'm Meier I sign the qualifying offer unless somebody offers me something really crazy longterm.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So... something I just learned. Meier and Seider have the same agent, Claude Lemieux. He specialize in German speaking Euros?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad