Should the Wings go "defense heavy" later in the draft?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd go goalie heavy just based on your data. Seems you're as likely to strike gold drafting a goalie 4th round or later as you are drafting them first round.

Don't know about this goalie class in general. Askarov is great, but articles I've read inform those others being quite meh vs earlier seasons.

But who knows about goalies! They are not humans.

We should get warm bodies and do something bigger for the goalie development in the organization.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Please. People dont even get this years draft remotely right and you are predicting next years draft?

Before showing up to troll a thread like this maybe do some research.

2021 NHL Draft: 15 Months Out

Future Watch: Nine CHL rookies to watch for in the 2021 NHL Draft - TheHockeyNews

https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings-bells-early-top-21/

Defencemen dominate Craig Button's early look at 2021 NHL draft class - TSN.ca

And what did people get wrong about this draft? For almost 2 years They've been talking about it being a forward heavy draft. That Lafrenierre was going first. That, since this time last year Byfield would challenge for the number one spot. That Lucas Raymond and Alex Holtz were top 10, possibly top 5 picks. That Askarov was the best goaltender since Price. That Stutzle is the best German prospect since Draisaitl.

The same people that said that about the 2020 draft are the people stating that there will be a lot of first round defensemen in 2020. I think I'll take their word for it.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Before showing up to troll a thread like this maybe do some research.

And what did people get wrong about this draft? For almost 2 years They've been talking about it being a forward heavy draft. That Lafrenierre was going first. That, since this time last year Byfield would challenge for the number one spot. That Lucas Raymond and Alex Holtz were top 10, possibly top 5 picks. That Askarov was the best goaltender since Price. That Stutzle is the best German prospect since Draisaitl.

The same people that said that about the 2020 draft are the people stating that there will be a lot of first round defensemen in 2021. I think I'll take their word for it.

I'll underline and agree with this. It's already a known fact that 2021 is heavy for defencemen, and at same time, the top forward talent is lesser than 2020.

I have also been comparing those DY -1 statistics between drafts and it seems like 2021 draft OHL top forward Mason MacTavish was worse than any DY -1 year from Rossi, Byfield, Perfetti or even Perreault. Of course playing another season could change his rank, but so far what we know only that. He wouldn't be going at Top10 on this 2020 draft.

Also, there has been that speculation Aatu Räty being the first Finnish #1 overall on this draft. He hasn't impressed me like anything yet. All former finnish top guys were 2nd overalls (Barkov, Laine, Kakko) and I would any of them before Räty. He kind of feels like another Lundell, and that kind of player is fine to pick at Top10, but #1 overall ???

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Defense and goalies. 41% of goalies are outside the top 100 or undrafted. It's most likely the nature of the position where it is less about pure skill and more about overall development.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
The same people that said that about the 2020 draft are the people stating that there will be a lot of first round defensemen in 2020. I think I'll take their word for it.
And how many of those same things were done in 2018?2017? Gone back and checked how correct they all were? Draft position means nothing. Only results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad