Should the team trade Tanev now or let this thing ride out?

Should they trade Tanev?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Trading him away without getting a quality RHD back is a big “F you” to all the current players and their efforts, especially the young core.

To me this line of thinking has been the biggest flaw in strategy for the management. And it seems to still get support from the fans.

Reactions: Jack Burton

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Honestly think we can retain Tanev for cheaper. Injury-prone low point producing Dmen and he seems like a stay at home kind of guy. Think Markstrom is more likely to leave for a big payday.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
To me this line of thinking has been the biggest flaw in strategy for the management. And it seems to still get support from the fans.
His point stands. On a terrible team, the players could accept the trading of important players. On a decent team in a position to make the playoffs with a blossoming young core, trading one of the team's best players for futures would be nearly impossible even if you could bring yourself to believe it made sense. The players would lose all faith in their employers. This, in addition to common sense, is why teams in a good position to make the playoffs don't trade their best veteran players for futures. You can dispute the idea that this was the time for the team to make a move to improve their performance and head toward contention. Now that the team has made this choice, trading Tanev makes no sense.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
His point stands. On a terrible team, the players could accept the trading of important players. On a decent team in a position to make the playoffs with a blossoming young core, trading one of the team's best players for futures would be nearly impossible even if you could bring yourself to believe it made sense. The players would lose all faith in their employers. This, in addition to common sense, is why teams in a good position to make the playoffs don't trade their best veteran players for futures. You can dispute the idea that this was the time for the team to make a move to improve their performance and head toward contention. Now that the team has made this choice, trading Tanev makes no sense.
On a terrible team Tanev looks good.

Your just scared to let go of something that you have been hanging with your fingernails for this long.

Surprise, surprise...we have a core to build around.

Time to make the tough decisions :eek:

Don't be scared son, I'd say there's a good chance we may make it out alright :nod:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
To me it’s a shame a notorious troll like yourself still posts this crap.
If you think PM is a troll then you haven't been paying attention.

I've been called a troll, I may say that I think your a troll.

This is HF son....We're allowed to say what we think, when we want.

If you have a problem with that then take it up with a Mod.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
On a terrible team Tanev looks good.

Your just scared to let go of something that you have been hanging with your fingernails for this long.

Surprise, surprise...we have a core to build around.

Time to make the tough decisions :eek:

Don't be scared son, I'd say there's a good chance we may make it out alright :nod:
The tough decision here is to ride Tanev to a very likely playoffs appearance. And if you can’t resign him, so be it.

Reactions: Jack Burton

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
We some how always get ourselves into situations where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Yes, in a vacuum the ultimate situation is you try to make the playoffs and move one piece like a Tanev to plan for the future at the same time. Reality is going to be we start to slide and can move pieces like Tanev, potentially Markstrom , Virtanen if someone is willing to over pay and maybe someone is in a dire enough situation to pay for Sutter. The other side is we stay in the the hunt the entire way and could lose both Tanev / Markstrom for nothing. This would be so much easier if we could dump 1 / 2 of Beagle / Sutter / Bearcheese to make our cap freedom to add more pieces in the UFA season (scary as that is)

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
If you think PM is a troll then you haven't been paying attention.

I've been called a troll, I may say that I think your a troll.

This is HF son....We're allowed to say what we think, when we want.

If you have a problem with that then take it up with a Mod.
I have no problem with it. Trolling can be pretty amusing when done correctly. I am not your son Jack. That I have a problem with

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I have no problem with it. Trolling can be pretty amusing when done correctly. I am not your son Jack. That I have a problem with

giphy.gif

Reactions: I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tanev is a polarizing player. At times he flunks the eye test in his own zone with wimpy clearances and getting destroyed in puck battles. But the stats show that he's effective as a steady, top -four d-man albeit with zero offensive upside. And despite some experiments, Green hasn't found anyone better to pair with Hughes.

But this is always the conundrum for a playoff bubble team. It's hard to justify weakening the roster over the short term, to acquire assets that build for the long term.

But unlike some recent seasons, I think the Canucks are in a better position to trade Tanev than ever before. And they'd get some nice assets coming back to continue building for the longer term.

The alternative of course is that he continues to play; risks injury which is probably overdue; and then walks on July 1st for nothing.

It's a tough call....but that's why they pay Jimbo the big bucks I guess.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
If history shows us anything, we will be trading draft picks for rentals this deadline. Aqua does not have the patience to build a winner, and that is what we are going to see. More years of endless futility.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Didn't vote because I take issue with the phrasing. Trading Tanev at the deadline will net us futures, which means we are unlikely to make the playoffs. Or if we do, that we'll be severely hobbled once we get there. It's not to do with culture. It's to do with him being a top 4 defenseman and being critical to team success.

So the question is, what's the inherent value of making the playoffs this season? For one, we mitigate the risk with our 1st rounder to TBL in that it won't be a lottery pick. Two, it shows the room that we support them in their efforts this season - more on this later. Three, it will be the first taste of playoff hockey for the core players.

Balance that against the likely return at the deadline: a late first round pick and meh prospect. If we trade him now, it will be for less, but we mitigate the risk of injury.

Tanev will have some residual value at the draft, especially if he shows well in the playoffs (if). It won't be nearly the value he'd garner if healthy at the trade deadline. But here's the thing: is a late 1st worth the inherent value of our core players building their confidence that they can make it to the playoffs at long last? Is it worth them experiencing firsthand what playoff hockey is really like and for them to develop a thirst to make it back there again?

Reactions: ekimbo

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Is it too obvious to say it depends on the return? What is the assumed return, a 2nd? If so, then there's an argument. If it's below a 2nd then the benefits of keeping him to support a playoff push outweigh the benefits of trading him.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
If there is confirmation of Tryamkin coming over to finish the season here I’d trade Tanev

what could Tanev reasonably fetch?

Eberle?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If there is confirmation of Tryamkin coming over to finish the season here I’d trade Tanev

Eberle?
Really depends on how desperate teams are at the deadline.....The Leafs for example, who have issues on their blueline even when all hands are on deck.

If the Canucks could get a late first round draft pick to recoup the one they traded; or a prospect who might grow into a top-six forward along with a later draft pick; would do it for me.

But that's the kind of trade rebuilding teams do to cash in on their impending UFA's. Not sure how the Aquaman and Benning view this team right now.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If history shows us anything, we will be trading draft picks for rentals this deadline. Aqua does not have the patience to build a winner, and that is what we are going to see. More years of endless futility.

When did management trade draft picks for rentals?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Eberle?
If a number 7 dman from the KHL is coming over you are comfortable trading our top RHD? This only makes sense if you are on team tank

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

If history has shown us anything, Jim Benning will do nothing at the deadline and talked about how 'x' wasn't really being moved during a trade deadline where historic levels of 'x' are moved.

Reactions: dwarf

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’d rather keep him if we can sign him to a reasonable contract. He’s a rock for us and a big part of the D core, losing him would hurt the team. Ideally a 4.5 million for 3-4 years, his injury history should help keep it reasonable.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You basically have to hold onto him at this point. It's stupid that the team is in this position but you're not going to take away Green's best defenseman in the middle of a season that you went all-in for.

member 290103

Jim would never move him and jeopardize a chance to lose a first round playoff series. That’s end goal here, forget cup....just get yourself in a position to lose in the first round.

Reactions: ekimbo

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You basically have to hold onto him at this point. It's stupid that the team is in this position but you're not going to take away Green's best defenseman in the middle of a season that you went all-in for.
“All-in” laughable Melvin. Keep up the fun posts

Reactions: alternate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad