Should the team trade Tanev now or let this thing ride out?

Should they trade Tanev?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
They simply don't have the defensive depth to have a hope at the playoffs without him. We've seen what a train wreck Myers is when he's had to fill Edler's role, and it would be more of the same if Tanev was traded. Sometimes you have to hold on to a player even if it means you lose him for nothing after the season.

And yes, even if the Canucks aren't even close to contenders, I'd rather they made the playoffs sooner rather than later. Don't want the young players to develop in a losing culture. The playoffs, even a 4 game sweep, would be a good learning tool for them.
I'm leaning this way myself. Tanev and Hughes are such a good tandem.

If another team is desperate enough at the TDL to offer a 1st rounder, and we're out of the playoff picture, then you look at it. I'm asking for the moon, but ideally, they want Tanev as a loaner, and he's free to re-sign with us if we can accommodate.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Tanev may have simply stopped drinking that Vancouver water.

Bieksa's last 3 seasons games played: 36, 76, 60.
Bieksa's next two seasons after leaving Vancouver: 71, 81

Hamhuis' last 3 seasons games played: 79, 59, 58
Hamhuis' next two seasons after leaving Vancouver: 79, 80.

More seriously though, I have no faith in Tanev's ability to stay healthy but the body is breaking down + will only get worse with age argument that we used with other Dmen in the past haven't exactly panned out either.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd sign him but try to make it a 2-year or 3-year deal based on his injury history. Other teams would be afraid to commit to term as well on him, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The thing is that he's bound to be injured again. But as I've said before - one reasonable explanation for Canucks injury woes on "D" could be that the defense has been taking the brunt of the play as our forward core (as a group) has generally sucked since Kesler left - until now. Now that the forward core is respectable (and likely getting better) and that Tanev is playing with a brilliant puck mover in Hughes - there is less zone time in the Canucks own end and less punishment for Tanev going forward. So he could be playing more games going forward.

At the same time, if Benning and Co part with him (don't see it happening) I would totally understand the decision too.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Trading him away without getting a quality RHD back is a big “F you” to all the current players and their efforts, especially the young core.

They’ve worked so hard to remain in a good spot up to ASG and now you are trading your best RHD away? There’s asset management but there’s also another thing call people management.

Who ever said yes has played too much NHL GM mode.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Two no-brainer situations. If you can re-sign him to a short contract you do it. If you can trade him for a 1st this year, you do it. If you have both options you take the latter.

I would prefer to sign Tanev and trade Myers the minute he switches from full NTC to 10 team no trade list this summer. Tanev is a month and a half older than Myers and a way better player, but Myers is signed for 4 more years and if Tanev walks it's because of the cap that Myers is eating.

I put the odds at 95% that mgmt keeps him and lets him walk for free at the end of the season though.

Reactions: ekimbo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Trading him away without getting a quality RHD back is a big “F you” to all the current players and their efforts, especially the young core.

They’ve worked so hard to remain in a good spot up to ASG and now you are trading your best RHD away? There’s asset management but there’s also another thing call people management.

So let me understand this: Trading Tanev, a person, is ok so long as you get a replacement. That’s fine “people management”. Tanev is not a person, after all. But trading him without securing a replacement, that hurts the people somehow, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I put the odds at 95% that mgmt keeps him and lets him walk for free at the end of the season though.

They are going to keep him. Signed or unsigned by the TDL, it will not matter. The playoffs are the objective and Tanev’s present use gets them closer to that goal than almost any other realistic alternative.

What they should do is trade him because they are not going to be able to re-sign him, but they won’t do that.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They can do both selling and buying at the deadline. If a team offers a 1st for Tanev, very hard to reject that offer since they can recover a 1st. On a separate trade they can offer a 2nd to get a rental D back. Most likely a downgrade from Tanev but they upgrade from a 2nd to 1st in a deep draft.

Let's not forget Stecher went from the third pairing to playing top 4 by midseason the last 3 years. Stecher can definitely provide top 4 mins. Benn can can also the RS as well. So ufa rental D with the 2nd can be a RS or a LS.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We all just saw Gardiner's back injury scare off a bunch of teams where in the end he settled for $4.15 mill per season over 4 years in Carolina. So much for the $6-7 million over 6-7 years that people and analysts were calling for. I'm sure the injury history would scare off a lot of teams as well. I would be shocked if another team came in with 5 year term. Ideally, you'd look to extend him for 3 years.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We all just saw Gardiner's back injury scare off a bunch of teams where in the end he settled for $4.15 mill per season over 4 years in Carolina. So much for the $6-7 million over 6-7 years that people and analysts were calling for. I'm sure the injury history would scare off a lot of teams as well. I would be shocked if another team came in with 5 year term. Ideally, you'd look to extend him for 3 years.

Kind of a different story. It's not like Tanev has some kind of chronic problem like Kesler's hip. He just keeps getting hit with pucks

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
This thread is irrelevant..........I would say there's less than a 2% chance that our fearless leader will trade Tanev in the midst of a playoff push. It makes zero sense for him to do so with only very unproven options to replace him.

No way ever this happens this year (unless someone wants to WAYYYY Overpay but we all know it's usually us overpaying.......not the other way around).

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

That's ideal for the team, yes, but not for Tanev. I cannot envision a player like Tanev ever taking a 3 year term from the same GM that handed out a 4 year terms to a fringe NHLer like Beagle.

Tanev should get at least 4 years in the open market. 5 years would be average and would not be shocking at all.

They can do both selling and buying at the deadline. If a team offers a 1st for Tanev, very hard to reject that offer since they can recover a 1st. On a separate trade they can offer a 2nd to get a rental D back. Most likely a downgrade from Tanev but they upgrade from a 2nd to 1st in a deep draft.

Let's not forget Stecher went from the third pairing to playing top 4 by midseason the last 3 years. Stecher can definitely provide top 4 mins. Benn can can also the RS as well. So ufa rental D with the 2nd can be a RS or a LS.

A crafty GM like Wilson can sell and buy at the deadline. A GM like Benning, who has taken 6 years to secure 3 top6 dmen, is woefully out of his depth in this regard. It can happen, but is very unlikely to happen. More than likely Tanev plays out the string and walks in FA. They did with Hamhuis and Vrbata. They'll do it again here.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Well said. Trolls and youngsters that are new to hockey

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Split on this. I like Tanev a lot, don't want to lose him. I wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him no, but if a good deal is out there somewhere then yes I seriously consider it. Losing Tanev because of a trade makes me sad, losing Tanev to free-agency because we can't afford him with so much expensive filler in our bottom-six makes me furious. If you can get a 2nd-rounder or better for him, I probably pull the trigger. If not then hold, and hope to god that the cap can be fixed somehow in the off-season.

Tanev would return close to 0 being a Ufa.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Really torn on this. We dont make the playoffs without him but if a nice overpayment comes in... maybe? The problem is if we sign him for 4 more years and he declines with injuries I'll look back and wish we traded him now. I need another beer for this...

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
They should bring up Rafferty and give him a good look before the trade deadline. One of Tanev or Stecher should be dealt. But I think Benning loses both for nothing. Tanev as UFA to a desperate team willing to overpay and Stecher because he won't be qualified just like Hutton.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They should bring up Rafferty and give him a good look before the trade deadline. One of Tanev or Stecher should be dealt. But I think Benning loses both for nothing. Tanev as UFA to a desperate team willing to overpay and Stecher because he won't be qualified just like Hutton.
What are Stecher’s arbitration comps going to be? He’s not playing top 4 minutes this season. He won’t have as strong a case as Hutton would have had had they gone down that route with him.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So after the trade deadline comes and goes, Tanev officially becomes a 'rental player'. No way the Canucks could get him to accept a home-town discount on July 1st, so he walks.

It's bad asset management, but I guess it's not like they're giving up assets or draft picks to acquire him from another NHL organization.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
This team has no one who can play shutdown minutes other than Edler and Tanev, and Edler's almost done.

They need to extend him and acquire another one of him, not trade him away.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
We're in a bit of a catch 22 with Tanev aren't we...damned if we do, damned if we don't.

He's having a career year being healthy that just coincides with a contract year...just our luck eh!

I say roll the dice and try to max his value at the TDL. He's not part of the future core so we may as well roll the dice on a young prospect coming back.

F*ck! Who am I kidding...just give him his retirement contract for services rendered and expect this guy to be on IR for the foreseeable future.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Best defensive Dman and arguably the Canucks best overall Dman, will be a huge hole losing him.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'd be surprised if he returned more than a 3rd or 4th round pick. He's an often-injured, defense-only D-man. At least he can play on the right side and kill penalties, but I don't think he's any contender's missing piece. Previously reported offers were underwhelming and it's hard to see why his value would be higher now. Just wait out the contract and see if he re-signs in the summer. If not, no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad