Should the team trade Tanev now or let this thing ride out?

Should they trade Tanev?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
After tonight's action, the Canucks are now third in the Pacific and only two points clear of the final wildcard and three points from being out altogether. And of all the teams they're competing against, you could argue that right now the Canucks are playing the worst of all of them.

So you do realize that they could hold on to Tanev and STILL miss the playoffs. And that would be a huge 'F YOU' to the fans of this team.

I think they are only two points from being out altogether but the Canucks also have games in hand. Arizona currently sits just outside of a wildcard spot and they lost today. The Coyotes have two less points than the Canucks, have played 4 more games, have similarly meh records over the past 10 games, and the Canucks hold the tiebreaker. Canucks are looking good against the Coyotes. Nashville is a bit more unpredictable. They currently are just behind the Coyotes but they have 65 points, with one game in hand relative to the Canucks, have a better record over the last 10 games but the Canucks hold the tiebreaker.

In terms of winning the division the Canucks need to go on another winning stretch. Vegas as lot of momentum right now. In terms of making the playoffs I think the Canucks are still in a pretty good position.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You don't trade Tanev when the team is in the situation it's currently in, that's just fanboy GM logic. The last few years when the team was technically hanging around but clearly not going anywhere, then sure. But the team has a good chance to make the playoffs and the division is wide open. At a certain point you can't keep praying for next year and the young core needs to start learning how to play meaningful games down the stretch and in the playoffs. I didn't agree with giving up assets for a rental in Toffoli given the makeup of the team, but trading a key player sends a poor message and potentially delays the development of the young core. You're getting at best a similar package that Toffoli got for Tanev. Anyone thinking a 1st is out to lunch. It's just not worth it.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Fair. How about a conditional 1st, if the receiving team resigns Tanev?

Sigh. Who knows? Tanev could get a bump in value as a rental. I don't know what his value is, just that players who hold values for different reasons aren't really comparables, even if the value could turn out similarly. Tanev's value would be as a short-term rental, Miller's was as a good player in good health who is locked up for several years.

We also can be pretty much sure that the Canucks aren't trading Tanev. The GM has just given a good prospect and a high pick to acquire a rental for a playoff run so has signalled his direction and selling useful players as rentals is the opposite of the direction the team is taking.

Realistically, no GM of a team hanging onto a playoff position by a margin of 2 points with 22 games to go is going to be a seller, weakening his team for the playoff run and then the playoffs. Management tanking on a team in that position sends a message to the players on the team and the season ticket holders that some would interpret as "this team doesn't want to win" which could damage the team both on the ice and at the box office. I've been (and remain) extremely critical of Benning for being a buyer, but can't think of a reason to think that at this stage he'll be a seller.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
You don't trade Tanev when the team is in the situation it's currently in, that's just fanboy GM logic. The last few years when the team was technically hanging around but clearly not going anywhere, then sure. But the team has a good chance to make the playoffs and the division is wide open. At a certain point you can't keep praying for next year and the young core needs to start learning how to play meaningful games down the stretch and in the playoffs. I didn't agree with giving up assets for a rental in Toffoli given the makeup of the team, but trading a key player sends a poor message and potentially delays the development of the young core. You're getting at best a similar package that Toffoli got for Tanev. Anyone thinking a 1st is out to lunch. It's just not worth it.
Agree with everything except one thing.
I’d almost bet my life savings that Toffoli resigns In Vancouver

Reactions: Brock Boeser

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!...it's always amazing how sometimes on these boards, long-term memory doesn't go much beyond six months. This is basically the first season of the last three, that Tanev hasn't suffered a season-ending injury. In some seasons it was two injuries. Up until this year he was a basically 50-game d-man. So logic would say he's probably overdue for one down the stretch.

Only in VanCity would talk of trading a 30 year old, injury prone d-man at the top of his market value be considered "fanboy GM logic".

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lol!...it's always amazing how sometimes on these boards, long-term memory doesn't go much beyond six months. This is basically the first season of the last three, that Tanev hasn't suffered a season-ending injury. In some seasons it was two injuries. Up until this year he was a basically 50-game d-man. So logic would say he's probably overdue for one down the stretch.

Only in VanCity would talk of trading a 30 year old, injury prone d-man at the top of his market value be considered "fanboy GM logic".

That's not how injuries work, but ok. Only in VanCity do fans believe every team is worth giving up on until finally some magical contender in the distant future rises from the ashes

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's the price you pay for top quality mentorin'

The importance of which shouldn't be dismissed. He's "dad" to Hughes, Boeser, and Petey. Taking care of dad when he gets old is just something some do and some don't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The importance of which shouldn't be dismissed. He's "dad" to Hughes, Boeser, and Petey. Taking care of dad when he gets old is just something some do and some don't.
Really? The Canucks have tons of 'mentors'....heck, from all reports, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel even Eriksson are 'character guys' and mentors in their own right. But all that mentoring stuff is pointless unless you can back it up with your play on the ice.

Canucks need fewer 'mentors' and more talent and truculence.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
if that were true we would have signed him already. If we sign him it is probably for market value and at the cost of someone else important on this team.
Why would we have signed him already? Maybe we want to see how he fits in for awhile before we offer him a certain term or dollar amount.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Agree with everything except one thing.
I’d almost bet my life savings that Toffoli resigns In Vancouver
Math.

dcda995198172ab40d90bbf05beafe12.jpg

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This is the year this team has to make noise in the playoffs. Benning's going all in this year, not next. I mean, it's stupid and everything, but this has to be the year they're going for it. There's just no next year now.

Of course you keep Tanev.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
You have to see what Tanev can fetch on the market right now, especially with the prices being fairly high, even for rentals. Perhaps we get a big haul and that helps us for years...not months like if we kept him here and he didnt sign, which is looking doubtful right now.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
You have to see what Tanev can fetch on the market right now, especially with the prices being fairly high, even for rentals. Perhaps we get a big haul and that helps us for years...not months like if we kept him here and he didnt sign, which is looking doubtful right now.
If they got a sizeable haul for Tanev, I'd use those assets to dump Loui and hopefully Sutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad