Should the team trade Tanev now or let this thing ride out?

Should they trade Tanev?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Any sort of "1st round pick" you'd be getting for Tanev at this point as a pure "rental"...is going to be a very late one. Just not worth it at this point. If you could somehow get a "lottery 1st" out of it, it'd at least be worth not hanging up the phone. But lottery teams aren't giving up picks for injury-prone rental defencemen, and even playoff teams holding a potential lottery pick aren't going to move that one. So it's kind of a moot point really.

I'd far sooner just find a way to make a Tanev extension work. Yes, there's a lot of missed games to put up with. A problem that also comes with real concerns about term, and you can't afford to break the bank on the guy either. But there's gotta be a deal worth getting done to just keep Tanev in Vancouver for the coming years where this team is going to need that kind of quality depth on defence, and quiet steady presence.

Just think of Tanev going forward, like Salo back in the day. Or like what Hainsey was to Toronto last year. It's hard to go terribly wrong spending moderate money on guys like that...even if they miss time, or are older and slowing down.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I wouldn't pay him more than Stralman's contract. $5.5 x 3. The cap is going to be very tight next season. Going to have to find a taker for Sutter and Baertschi.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Tanev is a #3 dmen when healthy like he has been all season. His value is a mid-late first round pick. What exactly does Kap bring to the Canucks? Just another bottom six forward that has all the right tools but hasn’t proven he can play in the Top 6.

A top6 talent who has not put it together.

Wouldnt it be fun to have two "Has he turned a corner" threads going at once?

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
With Marcus Petterson getting 5 years at just over 4 million bucks, what does that mean for Tanev's worth? They need to keep him regardless for the rest of the season of course but it will be interesting to see how his market develops. An incoming Muzzin extension may be relevant as well.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
With Marcus Petterson getting 5 years at just over 4 million bucks, what does that mean for Tanev's worth? They need to keep him regardless for the rest of the season of course but it will be interesting to see how his market develops. An incoming Muzzin extension may be relevant as well.
some of those years for MP were RFA, but the player is younger with at least some upside. i would offer tanev 3x$4.75 and would probably do a 4th year at that cap hit. i'd go as high as $5.25 on a 3 year term. If Brogan Rafferty is an NHLer and ready to make the jump, he replaces Stecher, not Tanev.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
some of those years for MP were RFA, but the player is younger with at least some upside. i would offer tanev 3x$4.75 and would probably do a 4th year at that cap hit. i'd go as high as $5.25 on a 3 year term. If Brogan Rafferty is an NHLer and ready to make the jump, he replaces Stecher, not Tanev.
I think that's close but if he actually manages to stay healthy all year (or miss less than 5 games), I think at least one team will give him a little more money though likely not any more term. At least he will probably price himself out of the Leafs range!

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I don't know if they *should* trade Tanev (it would be highly unusual for a playoff bound team, and it's starting to look like that's what we are, to make such a move), but I do know there is absolutely zero chance that they will.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Theres no way he’s traded at this point. Letting him walk would be something we’d regret imo.
Similar to letting Dan Hamhuis go for nothing. A guy who is still contributing in the NHL years later.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The Canucks really don't have anyone that can step in and replace Tanev so I'm guessing they'll do what they can to re-sign him. Hopefully it's something reasonable and no longer than 3 years.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I still think it's hilarious how this board was so against moving Tanev for Kapanen and now it's one of the more proposed trades. Kapanen showed some potential and all of a sudden everyone wants him - weird.

Kapanen has around similar numbers as Gaudette while getting to play in the Leafs top 6.
I wouldn't trade Tanev for Gaudette. Kapanen is getting overhyped because he plays for the Leafs.

Regarding the poll. This team has put itself in a position where they need to make the playoffs with the Miller trade. Tanev is a key player with the Canucks, it doesn't make sense to let him walk. The Canucks are going to have to move salary.

"Cap space doesn't matter" btw.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Kapanen has around similar numbers as Gaudette while getting to play in the Leafs top 6.
I wouldn't trade Tanev for Gaudette. Kapanen is getting overhyped because he plays for the Leafs.

Regarding the poll. This team has put itself in a position where they need to make the playoffs with the Miller trade. Tanev is a key player with the Canucks, it doesn't make sense to let him walk. The Canucks are going to have to move salary.

"Cap space doesn't matter" btw.
Kapanen is really good. I'd be thrilled to see him on the Canucks.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Kapanen is really good. I'd be thrilled to see him on the Canucks.
Kapanen is playing with:
Matthews who is on pace for 95 points (57 goals)
Nylander who is on pace for 74 points (38 goals)
Tavares who is on pace for 72 points (31 goals) (over a span of 75 games since he's been injured 7 games)
Marner who is on pace for 87 points (24 goals) (over a span of 71 games since he's been injured 11 games)

Kapanen has 28 points in 50 games playing with those players. (46 points, 16 goals)

There is a reason why Leafs fans think he is expendable because he is. Take Pearson, remove his 7 empty-net points and 4 empty-net goals, is on pace for 49 points and 16 goals. Kapanen is surrounded by star power, is on the highest-scoring team in the league, is getting outscored by Pearson. Pearson is also someone who you can clearly put on the ice for the last 2 minutes of a game to defend the lead and get the puck out to give you an empty net goal.

If Kapanen can only put up 28 points playing with that amount of star power, what do you think he's going to post here? I am in a hard no camp for Kapanen. I think he's been seriously overrated and overhyped by Leafs fans and I don't think he is worth trading Tanev for.

Tanev is a #3 RHD, who can play top line minutes. Defensive defenseman who the Leafs desperately need. Leafs should be able to give up more than Kapanen +. He's worth more, much more.

Last edited:

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Four days from the deadline and they just added Toffoli, who's gonna ask for fairly good money in the summer.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Obviously they're not going to trade Tanev. They're all-in on the playoffs. But looking at these deadline defenseman prices...it seems plausible Tanev would return a first-round pick straight up (or more).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Jake Muzzin signs his rumored 4 year $5.5M AAV deal, I think that's the comparable for Tanev. Granted Muzzin USED to be much more offensively productive than Tanev. Personally, I'll take the risk and give Tanev 5 years in return for lowering his AAV.

SIGN THEM ALL!!!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If Jake Muzzin signs his rumored 4 year $5.5M AAV deal, I think that's the comparable for Tanev. Granted Muzzin USED to be much more offensively productive than Tanev. Personally, I'll take the risk and give Tanev 5 years in return for lowering his AAV.

SIGN THEM ALL!!!

Yeah if you can get Tanev for $5MM x 4 years I think you gotta get it done.

Reactions: F A N

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Keep tanev, sign him to deal.

trade Edler next year in his final year.

Ideally trade Myers away too.
Rathbone/Rafferty see what they do in pro

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've been watching Tanev closely the last couple of weeks or so. I don't know what it is, maybe the trade deadline weighing heavily on him. But he hasn't been very good imo. Hughes seems to be carrying him most nights.

So the choices for the Canucks are pretty simple. They can let things slide and just treat Tanev as a rental for the rest of the season. Or they can get assets for him now.

As far re-signing him, forget about it unless he's willing to take a huge home-town discount. And why would he do this? The number one priority in terms of signing their own UFA's is Markstrom. And I'd actually rather see the Canucks take a run at re-signing Tofoli, rather than a 30 year old d-man with an injury history, who by luck more than happenstance has managed to stay healthy this season.

But sadly, Jimbo's track record of maximizing his impending UFA's at the deadline is just awful. So nothing will happen.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If the right offer is there, move on from Tanev….lots of hard miles on that body, and more to come....breakdown is imminent. Sell.

Way to smart and progressive for the Vancouver Canucks.

I would max out on assets before Tanev breaks down and or declines. They are not going to win the cup with Tanev, or without him.

Just once, i would like to see long term vision and roster management come into play with this team.

Something has to give with cap space this off season. Unfortunately it will likely be a player like Tanev, Markstrom , Toffoli or trading a good young asset due a raise like Virtanen because the overpaid, useless garbage like Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle and maybe Roussel is pretty much unmovable. No other team wants this garbage. Well done Jim!!

Still also paying a million from the useless Gagner signing in the form of Spooner.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Minus the Eriksson albatross contract and the Luongo re-capture penalty, the Canucks easily re-sign Markstrom, Tanev and maybe even Tofoli.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

SIGN THEM ALL!!!

HELL NO to 5 years for Tanev unless it's 3 mill per or less. I love the guy but he's the exact kind of player whose game falls off a cliff shortly. I would be very leery of anything over 3 years.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I've been watching Tanev closely the last couple of weeks or so. I don't know what it is, maybe the trade deadline weighing heavily on him. But he hasn't been very good imo. Hughes seems to be carrying him most nights.

So the choices for the Canucks are pretty simple. They can let things slide and just treat Tanev as a rental for the rest of the season. Or they can get assets for him now.

As far re-signing him, forget about it unless he's willing to take a huge home-town discount. And why would he do this? The number one priority in terms of signing their own UFA's is Markstrom. And I'd actually rather see the Canucks take a run at re-signing Tofoli, rather than a 30 year old d-man with an injury history, who by luck more than happenstance has managed to stay healthy this season.

But sadly, Jimbo's track record of maximizing his impending UFA's at the deadline is just awful. So nothing will happen.
Hughes is going to be on the ice for 40 minutes a game? Because what other player in the blueline is remotely is the same category as Tanev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad